Here is the problem:
Bought 2 doses of frozen semen.
Mare not pregnant after two cycles (bred by a certified therionologist).
Discovered that the semen came with wrong instructions.
(instruction states that one breeding dose was 1 straw when in reality it was 3).
The fault lays with the person that packaged and sent the frozen semen and wrote the wrong instruction, in this case it is not the stallion owner.
Ideas and suggestions on how to deal with this mess?
(This was for a custom foal, so no interest in getting more doses mare is booked to a different stallion for this year.)
Thanks for any ideas or suggestions or previous experience.
How many straws did you receive? If 6, not 2, you should have realized that the instructions were per dose, not per straw.
Nonetheless, a bummer.
If you only received 2 straws - then you did not get 1 breeding dose, let alone 2.
My Vet received the doses (all 6 straws) in February put them in his tank. All was good.
In May, when time came to breed he looked up the instructions and took one straw out. He coudn't have known how many doses I bought. He followed the instructions and thawed one straw (3ml).
Frozen come in all shape and size, I have a stallion that has one dose per straw other that have 8 little straws to one dose, this was a bigger straw and not completely unreasonable.
Anyway the point is that the instructions were wrong.
Thanks guys (gals?) I'm all for discussions and have raised the issue to concerned parties.
My question is more about what to expect/suggestions in terms of compensation.
Do I ask for the fee I paid (for the doses I got) or does it go further then that?
I lost a lot of money here but I'm realistic.
Hmmmm, this is tough one as you still hold the remaining straws, and even if the instructions were correct, I assume it was by the dose and no LFG. You could ask for getting back the two straws you lost and trying to sell the semen via your vet's tank. People will feel safer buying frozen privately if it is handled by a DVM. You are still going to be out some dollars of course. The other route might be to ask for the whole amount (cost of semen) to be returned to you, and with you returning the remaining straws to the broker (at their cost via your vet). If not satisfied, perhaps small claims for the latter scenario? Good luck. It sounds like you are trying to be reasonable.