The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default correction pad inserts?

I have a mattes type pad and I'm trying to figure out where I can buy material that I can make into inserts? I bought the ones that are made for the pad on smartpak, but they are like tissue paper. I need something thicker. Where do saddle fitters get their material?

The saddle fitter I use is in Florida and won't be back until next month. He said he would send me some but I'm still waiting.

I don't need advice on saddle fit, this horse has lost his topline after being out of work for a year due to founder.

I don't know the answer to where saddle fitters get their material - but I have used an old Thinline pad (cut it up to make shims) and also a wool western underpad like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-felt-pa...item20c3f5f5a5

Also cut that up to make shims that were a little more dense than the Thinline pads.

Any fabric store that sells felt by the yard. Buy a yard, trace your shape out, and stack them until they fit. Usually you can get felt that is thicker by the yard.

I thought a fabric store made sense too, but the one that I looked at pretty much just had fabric. Maybe I need to try another one?

Yep, I would go with a fabric store, they for sure should have felt. Will be much cheaper than buying the inserts that are already cut!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I was listening to a saddle fitter talk about this last weekend. He said that the felt at the fabric store is not as good as the felt that comes with the Mattes. I as only half listening but I think he said it isn't as thick or durable or something. The conversation was about how to DIY the inserts.

He wasn't trying to sell anything either- he was just commenting on the fabric and how it is hard to find something cheaper or better than the Mattes shims.

The only felt at the fabric store I visited was pretty thin - like for craft projects. I imagine it would work if you glued together like 10 or more layers?

That is why I went to the wool underpad because it was the only source of thick enough wool felt that I could think of. They come in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 thicknesses and even a brand new one is only $15 at the local tack store (1/2 thick one). I couldn't think of where I could get thick felt for shims other than this source, but hopefully you'll find something!

That's funny because I thought the mattess shims were lower quality then the felt by the yard I can buy for like %80 less at a fabric store.

You are looking for felt by the yard, it should be next to the foam by the yard near the upholstery materials.