The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Shirt ? when jackets waived

USEF rulebook for dressage says :
    "7. In extreme heat and/or humidity in all classes including FEI classes at National Competitions,management can allow competitors to show without jackets. However, competitors must wear a regulation hat and solid or nearly solid colored long or short sleeved shirt with collar, without neckwear, and without decoration except as described under .14 below. T-shirts are not permitted.Members of the Armed Services or police units may wear summer uniforms."

I have lovely stretch button up with color short sleeve blouse that I have for schooling shows. Its has very fine/small pink and white stripes all over it. From a distance it would look like a pink blouse. Do you think this would be o.k. based on the "nearly solid colored" comment in the rule book, to use if jackets are waved at a show? Also have another dressage show shirt that looks baby blue checked from the distance with white collar, but up close has very fine plaid pattern of blues, white, and some light brown - so again not solid colored up close but from a distance looks like light blue checked?

both would be fine - I have several checked, striped show shirts that I have worn when coats have been waived

thanks

I think the spirit of the rule is to stop us from going out there in day-glo paisley. I see a lot of very restrained checks and stripes here (not me, I have a spotted horse, I'd give the judge vertigo...)

Yup. I show in either my Kerrits Ventilators (white, baby blue, baby pink) or a solid, light colored polo shirt when jackets are waived. I buy the mens ones at Target so the shirt is long enough to stay securely tucked in.

I wear a nicely fitted black or navy sport polo with white piping. I always get compliments and I honestly think it looks so much better than a jacket when it's a million degrees out (and I have yet to get below a 70% in the polos )

Both of your shirts sound like they would be fine.

Beware of specific judges if you are wearing a non-white shirt. At one national show, jackets had been waived. I was wearing a light baby-blue show shirt and had showed in it without issue (along with about 50 other people that day wearing pastel colored shirts). I was in different ring and before a different older judge in the afternoon and as I was gearing my guy trotting around the outside of ring all focused, she told me I needed to put a jacket on that my shirt was "questionably too dark".... then rung the bell! (talk about a bad mood) I was absolutley stunned, not sure what to do but thankfully a friend came streaking into the ring with her own coat, I threw on the jacket on at A then proceeded to immediately trot down center line before the time was up. My horses owner and coach had rounded up the steward by the end of the test who "checked" my shirt and said it was totally acceptable!?! I can't say the judge didn't like me becuase we won the class and previously I had never ridden before them. It was very odd. Even if jackets have been waived I always have someone tote my jacket to the ring now, just in case!

Emy, I had a similare episode. I wore one of those two-toned dressage shirts touted as appropriate for when coats are waived. The judge told me she could disqualify me for wearing a shirt that wasn't a solid color all over!!!! REALLY!??

Our barn shows in sleeved show shirts or WHITE polo shirts when jackets are waived. Itty bittys can wear short sleeve. DD has a sleeveless light blue shirt she wears under her jacket or the white one. I'd love to trot her out in bright colors (her pony is grey) I'm just not willing to take a chance with the judge.
    Strangest one we had was her pony was not braided up. It was a schooling show and she was showing Intro. His mane was perfectly tidy too! Schoolmaster hasn't shown in braids in ages and doesn't particularly like being braided. Judge wrote DISQUALIFIED HORSE NOT BRAIDED at the bottom of DD's test.. We did braid him up for the rest of the tests. Steward held to the judges decision on the disqualification.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Emy View Post
    Beware of specific judges if you are wearing a non-white shirt. At one national show, jackets had been waived. I was wearing a light baby-blue show shirt and had showed in it without issue (along with about 50 other people that day wearing pastel colored shirts). I was in different ring and before a different older judge in the afternoon and as I was gearing my guy trotting around the outside of ring all focused, she told me I needed to put a jacket on that my shirt was "questionably too dark".... then rung the bell! (talk about a bad mood) I was absolutley stunned, not sure what to do but thankfully a friend came streaking into the ring with her own coat, I threw on the jacket on at A then proceeded to immediately trot down center line before the time was up. My horses owner and coach had rounded up the steward by the
    end of the test who "checked" my shirt and said it was totally acceptable!?! I can't say the judge didn't like me becuase we won the class and previously I had never ridden before them. It was very odd. Even if jackets have been waived I always have someone tote my jacket to the ring now, just in case!

It's probably different in Canada but at USEF shows it is 100% ok to wear any solid color on the (what ever it's called) scale. So all pastels: ok! Dark blues, greens, purples: ok! Greys: ok! Black: ok!

Neons: no go! Any pink not clearly pastel: no go!

Red: no idea...

Also on the "solid" issue. Trim of an approved color is always ok. Logo of the approved size is ok. Patterns visible from the judges box regardless of color is grounds for elimination. Obviously judges are being lenient about pastel patterns per the posters here, but I would be careful.

If you're very worried, just approach the TD or judge at some point and ask!

Above posters are correct; some judges are more sticky on the technically-not-solid-colored or darker shirts.

I have a Kerrits mock-neck shirt and it has a very fine grey check pattern to it. One hot day when jackets were waived, I asked the TD (who was with the judge at the time) and they both agreed it was fine for me to wear. The judge then thanked me for checking with her.
    Whatever.