The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ticks

Here's an explanation of why there will still be loads of ticks this year. I already had a deer tick jump off me yesterday morning. Ordering the spray-on Frontline today.

The good news is there should be less in 2013....

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...er-3419367.php
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Ack. Just reading that article made my skin crawl.

I picked about 15 ticks off my dog last week-end. Good thing she has white hair. I thought it was a little early in the season for Maine!!!!
    She now is loaded with Frontline, and I will be checking myself, my horse, etc. every time we venture into the woods.

*sigh*

Hoping 2013 will be a better year!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

The OP should cross-post this in Horse Care. I haven't seen any ticks yet this year but with this new bout of rain and heat, they may come out soon.

Ew. Ive picked at least a dozen off my horses and one off of my cat already this year. I hate the damn things.

I've my my Frontline ready to go though, so that will be going on today!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

That's interesting and heartening about 2013. I've already found a deer tick attached to me. First one ever. Only for a couple of hours though so my Doctor says not to worry. I'm just plain staying out of the woods this year. It's not worth the ick factor, let alone the possibility of disease.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

CVPeg...interesting article. Mice are the interim host for ticks. We had a MaxForce Tick System in MD. After a year or so, we saw no ticks. We all had Lyme (family, dogs, neighbors) so I'm a tick nazi.

Not many ticks here in KY. We keep our property mowed, no wooded areas around us and the cat takes care of most of the rodents.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Huh. Fascinating! I hate ticks with a passion but didn't know their life cycle was so complex! Here's hoping for 2013!!

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    The OP should cross-post this in Horse Care. I haven't seen any ticks yet this year but with this new bout of rain and heat, they may come out soon.
    Will do. When I read this this morning, I was trying to decide between here, horse care, around the farm, or menagerie!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

That is my local paper so I read that article this am. I live in a very wooded area and like to run/hike there. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with the ticks for a bit but no...
    I have a 12yo son who lives to play outdoors and at his age he finds it embarrassing when I want to look him over for ticks. Time to get out the heavy duty bug spray.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I'm seriously annoyed by this sudden warm weather (I mean, seriously, 80+ degrees in NEW ENGLAND for several days in a row in MARCH??? WT-you-know-what?) Normally I trail ride until sometime in May when the biting bugs get real active, but I'm thinking we may be done until the fall now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

bathed my horse today and found 2 embedded deer ticks. treated the wounds and will bring up the ultrashield ASAP.