The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default colorado springs/ denver Area

So just found out that I should be moving to fort Carson possibly in September. So that means it barn hunting/ figure out where to live time.
    What I am looking for in a barn/ trainer is:
    does/ teaches jumpers
    Turnout
    Decent ring
    Goes to shows(schooling /A)
    Good with greenies( horses)
    Can deal with an extreme perfectionist(me)
    OK with semi weird hours
    minimal drama
    OK with off breeds(QH)
    Eventing barns are OK as well
    And under 200 dollars....j/k would like to keep it less then 650.
    But I have one non-negotiable.....must be completely trust worthy as far as the car of the horses. There is a strong likelyhood that I will be deploying and would have to trust them to take care of my girl. Also I would love it if they would be okay for me to help out at the barn/ shows not for money...though it is always nice but mainly just be willing to share knowledge.

For a place for me to live is:

Must be waterproof...no cardboard box unless wrapped in plastic lol
    MUST ALLOW DOGS
    That is pretty much it...I am never home either at the barn or work. So as long as it is a safe area the cheaper the better.

I would like to have an indoor but I can live with out it. Oh and one last thing...I really don't want to drive more than 1.5 hours preferably under 45 min but I can't deal with more than 2.

Thanks my all knowing ones
    Last edited by arab_roots; Mar. 20, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: i am speshul lol

"The root of all greatness is the Arabian." ~

Well, if you are going to live on the south side of Colorado Springs by Ft. Carson I would try Tracey Powers for jumpers. I don't know if she meets all the criteria above as I don't ride with her, but it would be worth getting in touch with her. The barn is very nice.

http://mmequestrian.com/Home_Page.php

If you are willing to communte a little North to the Douglas County area (Castle Rock, Parker) there are some good trainers & very nice barns, that should meet all your needs plus some. Also another bonus for you is that you are only a short distance from the Colorado Horse Park where 90% of our A rated shows take place.
    You could even board at Colorado Horse Park if you don't mind a very busy barn.

Karen Stone, Karen Goodell, and Nicole Ackerman all are in Black Forest area (north side of COS). Lots of folks from Fort Carson are up there.

All three would be good to check in with. Nicole is more eventing. Karen Stone and Karen Goodell both go to the rated shows.

You really need an indoor in Colorado. The snow will cover your outdoor and you won't be able to ride for weeks at a time (ground frozen, even after the snow melts).
    * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

There are a lot of people rental options at Cheyenne Meadows (the subdivision north of post), and down in Fountain (they have 2 access points there). Don't go any further north in town than Cheyenne Meadows, because the commute and other problems can be bad. And if you really expect to be deployed, then make sure the barn/trainer you select will be a good fit for that, because it wouldn't be fun to have to switch barns right before you leave.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

What will happen to your dog if you get deployed?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

She is coming with me......I wish....it would make it so much more fun. My parents are going to watch or my brother, though last time they watched she went from a svelte 60-65lbs to almost 80lbs...kinda scared to see how big she would get but they took good care of her though.

I only know Karen Stone from what I have watched at the shows, but based on her riding and communication with her horses, I would train with her. My trainer, who knows all, says nice things about her. She is the only one mentioned above that I have watched.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    I only know Karen Stone from what I have watched at the shows, but based on her riding and communication with her horses, I would train with her. My trainer, who knows all, says nice things about her. She is the only one mentioned above that I have watched.
    Agreed. I took a clinic from her years ago, and she coached me at a few shows when my regular trainer was out of town. I really enjoyed her. Her husband was also my farrier, so I got to know her on a personal level and she's a very nice person.

I've just moved back to the area so haven't seen her do her thing in some time, but my understanding is her business and well roundedness has only grown since.

And as an aside, to touch on what someone mentioned above, I had no issues not having an indoor, but I had a lot of acreage to work with. Snow pads and some traction were plenty to keep them fit, and I'd haul to the horse park once a week for a jump lesson and did just fine, even at the winter shows. The weather here is interesting. Yes, we get snow. And then we get a lot of sun and it melts quickly. And the above was at about 6800 ft.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Now the next thing is...can you all help me out with some links. All I seem to be coming up with are only websites that have their names mentioned. My google-fu is broken today.

I board with Nicole Ackerman. She takes very good care of the horses. . Training wise she does green beans, jumpers, eventing and dressage. There are also some nice clinics.