The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to wear for schooling show with hunt tack

While I have experience with dressage, im focusing on jumpers, but im going to do a dressage schooling show next month and would like some input on what to wear.
    I sold my dressage saddle a while back so ill be in my hunt stuff.
    1. even though I wont have dressage tack would it be okay to wear white breeches? I love white breeches! but I dont want to look tacky.
    2. I only have a brown coat so im just not going wear a coat. should I wear a polo/black sweater, just a white polo, a hunter/jumper style show shirt, or a fitted 'sporty yet conservative' jacket. (remember its a schooling show and ill be showing 1st level!) I do not own the quintessential riding vest everyone seems to have...
    3. black or brown belt?
    4. hair in hair net because im in hunt tack or bun because its dressage.
    5. black or white gloves?

Also, I have been noticing pictures of dressage horses wearing fly bonnets lately? I thought that was illegal in dressage? is that okay now?

anywho, thanks in advance for helping out.

I don't think there's any issue wearing your white breeches. If your boots are black, I'd wear a black belt. If you're not going to wear a coat, I think a show shirt will do just fine.
    Not sure on the gloves, but I think white gloves might not look so good if not dressed in full dressage attire (just my opinion). Hair? Don't think it will matter much for a schooling show, as long as its up and tidy.

Have fun and good luck!

Hunt tack is fine.

If you like your white breeches, wear them.

A brown coat is fine. My dressage coat is brown and it's never been an issue. The rules only state that you wear a conservative color coat. If you opt to not wear a coat, a polo is appropriate. Do not wear a ratcatcher style shirt. Your shirt needs to have a collar.

Belt color doesn't matter. I generally match my belt to my boots, but it's certainly not a rule.

Hairnets are perfectly fine.

You can wear either black or white gloves - whatever you feel more comfortable in.

Bottom line, your riding is more important that your tack and clothing. All of the above is legal so you won't have a problem.

I do schooling shows pretty much exclusively. And in hunt tack as I only have the means for one saddle right now and my goal is to get back to Eventing.

I wear:
    tan full seat breeches
    white shirt with stock
    black coat (brown would be fine!!)
    Black Charles Owen velvet hat (only used for Dressage and Foxhunting, I love my skullcap otherwise!) with a hair net. My hair is ridiculous and I have to shove it all under my helmet with a net.
    Black gloves
    Black boots
    colorful ribbon belt because I love it darn it! And I've never once seen it in my pictures.
    Just be clean and tidy and you'll be fine!!! But most of all have fun!
    Grab mane and kick on!

White breeches are fine, show shirt/polo/sweater are all fine. The brown coat is even fine if it is a very dark, solid brown. If it's one of the fancy plaids or stripes, or lighter shades, skip it. Any gloves and belt are fine. I've done schooling shows in black, brown, white and crochet back gloves. No one cares. Hair however you want. I find buns awkward with helmets- so I always do hair up.

Does the prize list mention attire? If so, that's what I would use as a guideline, not a bunch of strangers on the internet who have no idea what people in your area are likely to wear at schooling shows.

"Do not wear a ratcatcher style shirt. Your shirt needs to have a collar."
    Here's an example of the problem with people on the internet giving advice. A ratcatcher most certainly does have a collar. It's just not turned down. BUT... according to USEF rules, if you remove your coat, you must remove any neckwear, including a stock or a choker.

Your best bet is to look at the prize list for attire rules. If it says they follow USEF rules, READ THE RULEBOOK. http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf
    Don't rely on this board, or any board, for the actual rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by DressageOverFences View Post
    While I have experience with dressage, im focusing on jumpers, but im going to do a dressage schooling show next month and would like some input on what to wear.
    I sold my dressage saddle a while back so ill be in my hunt stuff.
    1. even though I wont have dressage tack would it be okay to wear white breeches? I love white breeches! but I dont want to look tacky.
    2. I only have a brown coat so im just not going wear a coat. should I wear a polo/black sweater, just a white polo, a hunter/jumper style show shirt, or a fitted 'sporty yet conservative' jacket. (remember its a schooling show and ill be showing 1st level!) I do not own the quintessential riding vest everyone seems to have...
    3. black or brown belt?
    4. hair in hair net because im in hunt tack or bun because its dressage.
    5. black or white gloves?

Also, I have been noticing pictures of dressage horses wearing fly bonnets lately? I thought that was illegal in dressage? is that okay now?

anywho, thanks in advance for helping out.
    Fly bonnets are legal in 'national' shows only if allowed by the ground jury. At the request of an exhibitor on a per class basis.

Fly bonnets are ok in FEI competitions (CDI's). So the pictures you see of Heather Blitz on Paragon with a bonnet is in a CDI.

If this is a schooling show ask your show management what they will allow.