The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Calm Ultra - MagRestore

Hello everyone!
    I am looking for a calming supplement for my OTTB to help with his separation anxiety while we work on desensitizing. I was originally going to order Smart Calm/Ultra as I am a wee bit addicted to Smart Pak (ahem). However, upon reading other threads about the wonders of MagRestore, I am having second thoughts...
    Any advice? What are your experiences with Smart Calm Ultra vs MagRestore?
    Thanks!

Love SmartPak, but the Mag Restore is a better product, and more effective. You might want to try it in combination with the Equine focus for that particular application.

I recently switched my witchy mare from Smart Calm Ultra / Mare Magic combo to MagRestore / Focus. It's early yet, less than 30 days, but I think she is better on the MagRestore/Focus. You really just need to experiment and see which works best for your particular horse. If magnesium deficiency really is your problem you will know fairly quickly with MagRestore.

Gotta love the convenience of SmartPaks but if you need to adjust dosage up or down the pre-packaging is a problem. Both companies have excellent customer service and will work with you to find the right combination and dosage.

I barely noticed a change in my horse with the smart calm, but a big difference with the magrestore.

I have never tried Magrestore so I cannot comment on that one.

I love SmartPak and I did use SmartCalm Ultra for a few months but I did not notice a difference in my horse at all.

How the heck are you guys feeding the Magrestore? I put it in my buckets that I make up the night before on top of timothy pellets and by the next morning it has fallen to the bottom and hardened to the bottom of the bucket. Very frustrating. I suppose I could bring the little bag out with me and put it on the feed in the pan in the morning but it seems like a pain in the arse.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Performance Equine will be coming out with a MagRestore pellet soon. I feed wet food, so sticking to the bottom is not an issue for me. If I were you, I'd just top dress right before you feed. Timothy pellets should soak up pretty quickly, I'd just soak the pellets and add the magrestore.

I've been feeding MagRestore for almost 2 years now for my high anxiety mare. She will never go without it. I tried other magnesium supps in the past and they didn't do a thing.

I have to wet the food a bit so the MagRestore sticks to it, there is no way my horse would eat it without doing that. It has been the one product where I have seen a difference in my horse.

I put the soaked beet pulp & oats in the feeder (rinsed and drained, but wet), toss in a pound of dry timothy/alfalfa pellets on top, add supplements (including MagRestore), add glug of oil, stir, horse chows it right down.

I have to admit....I actually use both. That has been the only way I have noticed any difference.

We also use MagRestore. We feed it with LMF Senior, Rice Bran pellets, Equi-Omega Complex and Acti-Flex liquid. I think the Acti-flex binds the MagRestore to the feed since its liquid plus there is some molasses in the senior. The horse we have on MagRestore is VERY picky about feeds but eats his MagRestore, no problem. Not sure if he is calmer but boy is he jumping better than ever and his hunter's bump disappeared.
    Horsezee

I didn't notice any difference on SmartCalm Ultra. The Magrestore has helped with general body comfort (no longer so touchy to certain brushes...especially when she's in season). I also like the Focus Equine from the same company as Magrestore. I use it only when needed (when I know I'm going to trailer off for a lesson, etc.).

I have used SmartCalm Ultra and did not notice a difference. My horse also hated it and would leave the pellets at the bottom of his feed, so we had to mix it up with wet food to make sure he was getting it. He's never been picky about eating, when he's needed SMZs I just throw the whole pills in his feed and he chews them right up (gross!), so not sure what it is with the SmartCalm Ultra that he hated so much!

Mine eats the MagRestore and Focus along with her joint supplement with a little plain bran and water mixed into her feed. You can also try a little applesauce. The cheapest no sugar added kind works fine. It wouldn't work well if you are mixing feed buckets the night before. MagRestore does tend to turn to cement in the bottom of the bucket if it's left too long.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW AMTS Dealer View Post
    I barely noticed a change in my horse with the smart calm, but a big difference with the magrestore.

My experience exactly.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful! I'll go ahead and order some MagRestor/Focus & get some applesauce at the store...
    Have riding everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    How the heck are you guys feeding the Magrestore? I put it in my buckets that I make up the night before on top of timothy pellets and by the next morning it has fallen to the bottom and hardened to the bottom of the bucket. Very frustrating. I suppose I could bring the little bag out with me and put it on the feed in the pan in the morning but it seems like a pain in the arse.
    I put a handful of "All-in-One" on top of my grain (doesn't matter if I'm preparing a small bucket that I'm going to feed, or a baggie that I'm leaving for someone else to feed) and then the MagRestore on top of that. The MagRestore sticks to the All-in One, but because there's no actual liquid involved, I don't have to worry about things sticking to the bucket and/or baggies and not actually making it into the manger.

I'm not sure if "All-in-One" is a product unique to California... It's basically an alfalfa/molasses chaff. Since I'm only feeding a handful, I'm not worried about the sugar or the alfalfa. It will probably take me a year to get through one bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohello View Post
    Thanks everyone! This is very helpful! I'll go ahead and order some MagRestor/Focus & get some applesauce at the store...
    Have riding everyone!
    I always recommend calling Carla at Performance Equine for first time users. Talk to her about your situation and she will guide you on the protocol that will best fit your situation. Normally she recommends putting the horse on 40 grams a day for 7-10 days, then backing the dose down to your maintenace dose. Then you can add in the FOCUS. Some horses she recommends putting them on MagRestore and FOCUS at the same time, but most do mg first, then add in the FOCUS.

Question What did we do before...

...all these calming supplements/focus supplements/moody mare supplements?

I don't mean to scoff at those of you who use these things, I'm just thinking to myself...when did we start relying on supplements so much to have a horse that WE consider calm and focused? Whatever happened to plenty of exercise and hard work to get the result we wanted, instead of adding 2 scoops of this, 1 lb of that to get the result?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Dont' get me wrong, I have two horses that I wish were a little more down to earth...but I don't want to keep adding things to their diet to get the result I want. I think of real world experience, exposure, and training when trying to move past these obstacles, not giving another supplement.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."