The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you handle this comment

Ok, this first let me say that I'm 5'8" wearing a size 8 jean, I have no clue how much I weigh, scales are for brave people, but last dr's visit, he said to not drop anymore weight for now. That being said I was at work today and a female co worker said im front of several male co worker to 1 move my big butt, then a few minutes later told me how pear shaped I was which I am not. I did not tell her that she had some nerve, because she is bigger than me, because I know this is stupid but I do not think that women should tear other women down. I have always loved my job, but I do not want to go to work tomorrow. My boss knows my male co workers told him, they were very upset that I was upset. I just do not know what to say to her tomorrow.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Oh my gosh! I don't even know. I think I'd probably be shocked, and I am sorry that happened to you.
    From a work angle, I don't know what to tell you as far as advice. From just a personal angle, I'd say that the comment says a lot about her. Perhaps she was motivated by jealousy.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

You don't say anything. Well, you could smile sweetly and tell her you hope today goes better for her than yesterday, but honestly, comments like that are a reflection of her (her pettiness, her immaturity), not you.

If she says it again, you smile and say, "Well bless your heart." And you continue with what you were doing.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Clearly you're NOT overweight, and even if you were it's none of her business. Her comments reflect poorly on her, not on you.

If it were me, I'd probably just ignore it. If it was frequent enough or hurtful enough to be bothersome, I'd probably say something like "I don't think that my weight/figure/whatever is an appropriate topic to discuss or comment on in the workplace, and I would appreciate it if we could focus on the task at hand instead."
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Well that was rude of her... I would just ignore her from now on. People that tear other people down are not worth your time or energy.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Obvious jealousy, not even worthy of a second thought, nor a response. Ignore her.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Well that was rude of her... I would just ignore her from now on. People that tear other people down are not worth your time or energy.
    I totally agree with this, but would be THINKING comments like, (carefully waiting until there were a lot of people around), "Oh Sally how's that discharge thing working out for you, able to sit yet?" or, "Sally, you got a call from someone at a law firm...can't remember who, anyway they said not to worry that the little boy's parents decided not to push charges".........

Just THINKING, not SAYING because, at the end of the day, just what the poster said, just not worth the energy.

Thanks starting to feel better, some of my coworkers have called and have made me laugh. My boss said he will talk to her and warn her that her comments will not be tolerated. I have to be careful with my thoughts, my filter is broken and sometimes my thoughts just blurt out. It could be really bad. I try not to think bad thought often, they get me in trouble.
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Obvious jealousy, not even worthy of a second thought, nor a response. Ignore her.
    Yeah. It sounds like you've been losing some weight and that kind of nasty remark is often a sign of jealousy.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Ridiculous comments from sad, stupid people should never affect your self esteem.

Tell the bitch, if she has the temerity to comment again, that no one made her the arbiter of what is "pear shaped" or "big" and what isn't, and to STFU. Sometimes, the best thing to do is confront the bully and make her back down.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I would be sweet as pie. Her jealousy and poor self-esteem issues are not your problem.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

A well placed "Why bless your heart" is such a genteel Foxtrot Oscar.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, Bless her little heart - if you should be able to find it.

Think duck and water...
    look at her like and consider she is having a really bad day...probably year - or life....

Bless her heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

"Well bless your heart" is only a little gentler than "That really pegged the Rude-O-Meter."

I'd go with the Rude-O-Meter. If she's that thoughtless, the "blessing" may sail right over her head.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Yeah. It sounds like you've been losing some weight and that kind of nasty remark is often a sign of jealousy.
    This.

Be the person you always are, sounds like the rest of the team appreciates and enjoys working with you. So this person is the "odd man out.". As DH comments, CTS. . . Consider The Source.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

If she says anything more, I vote for "what the hell is wrong with you"?

Just look straight at her & say
    "why would you say something like that?"

wait for her reply, then
    "please never speak so disrespectfully to me again"

How about (said loudly) "I'm sorry but... why exactly are you looking at my butt?"

1 members found this post helpful.

why all the drama, ladies? "pear shaped" is not an insult; it refers to a feminine figure and says nothing about weight. And "move your big butt" may not have been meant literally; I say that to my beloved (and thin) dog all the time when she's planted on my end of the couch.

Really, why get upset over such harmless comments?

Ask very politely, "Why are you making that sort of comment to me? Do you think I shouldn't like how I look?"

This keeps you polite and on the high road (I personally think "Well bless your heart" is totally immature), and making her "explain" herself will expose her for being ridiculous and make her look like a tool.