The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting plastic surgery..

OK my body has NOT recovered post weight loss. I can starve myself, run miles etc...and the stomach won't shrink at all. It is just a blob of skin.

When I look in the mirror it makes me want to cry. I abused my body so badly for years and now I am paying the price. I am aiming to lose 20 more lbs for my ugw. I am getting a tummy tuck in November. I could get it now..but it show season.

I feel so very shallow doing this but it will make me feel so much better about myself.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I had one and I have never regretted it. I was around 38 years old when I did it. I still have some numbness in the area where the skin was put back together..but I had such a blob of skin that hung there from three kids and also up and down weight gain/loss for years and it was so hard to deal with. It also was a hygeine issue. The recovery was not bad and I really liked my surgeon. I was pretty naive and dumb...I asked him where the plastic was...why they called it plastic surgery...he thought I was a nut haha.

I've since gained some weight, but that blob has never returned that use to hang below my belly button and just look awful. I also got a brand new belly button that is much nicer than the old one haha.

That's the beauty of being an adult-you can do whatever you want. If it will make you feel better-go ahead! I'm pondering cosmetic facial stuff to get rid of the many brown age spots that are starting to appear, and I'm still months away from 40. Too much lifeguarding and time in the sun.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

My plastic surgeon said my stomach overhang is huge for someone that has never had kids. I can tuck it up in pants and no one knows the wise. I have to go up 2 pants sizes in order for it to fit. I am actually pretty small but my pants have to be bigger to accomodate it.

I sitll want to tighten muscles..so that is why the last bit is important. Pilates etc.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Honestly, if it makes you feel better do it. I want to get my breasts done. I know people will be debbie downers, but screw em. It will make me happier.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

For excess skin there really isn't any other options anyway.

All the dieting and exercise in the world will not get rid of excess skin.

Don't feel shallow about removing an uncomfortable flap of unwanted and unhygienic flap of skin. Guys do it all the time...they call it circumcision.

Just make sure to do a lot of research on where to have it done. And don't bargain shop. Not all cosmetic surgeons are good at all procedures. And a tuck is an involved procedure.

Good luck!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If you're doing it because YOU want to feel better about yourself, truly, and not because you feel as if you don't meet someone else's (personal or general/societal) standards, go for it. Just as MistyBlue says, be careful about the doctor!

Agreed on the DR part. Do your research and choose someone because of their qualifications and because they make you comfortable.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

From watching many seasons of Dr 90210 I have a few tips. If you want to do it, and it's safe medically then go for it. There are two ways to do this, and the one where they tighten the muscles is apparently done only after you are done having kids. You will need someone to stay with you and take care of everything for the amount of time the doctor says. You don't want to hurt yourself by doing too much lifting or other activities too soon. You want to see before and after pictures of quite a few other patients. On the tv show (Dr. 90210) some doctors did a good job, and some patients didn't look that great to me, so the skill of the doctor and their actual surgical skill is very important. You need a doctor that does this procedure regularly. Talk to your doctor about the chance of the health insurance covering some of this procedure, they might not but it's worth trying. Try to lose the weight before the surgery if you can do it safely, but being healthy going into surgery is more important than a pound or two.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    My plastic surgeon said my stomach overhang is huge for someone that has never had kids. I can tuck it up in pants and no one knows the wise. I have to go up 2 pants sizes in order for it to fit. I am actually pretty small but my pants have to be bigger to accomodate it.

I sitll want to tighten muscles..so that is why the last bit is important. Pilates etc.
    My mom had what the call a belt lipectomy to remove all her loose skin after her gastric bypass. She lost 140lbs at age 49 so that skin wasn't ever going back to normal The recovery was long as they cut your muscles and she didn't obey the Dr.s orders to not do anything strenuous too soon so she had to have a hernia repaired. Overall she is quite happy with the results.

I probably would never do it, but I get it. Just be aware it is surgery and can be fatal. A pretty well known, good dressage rider on the west coast did this and died. It is something to keep that in mind.

I had one 14 years ago. I won't lie, it was insanely painful for a long period of time. The first 48 hours were mind boggling painful. I was literally screaming in pain. They finally gave me a double dose of morphine just to shut me up. My surgery was pretty intense as they stitched my abdominal muscles together all the way up to the bottom of my ribcage. It does look good to this day so it was worth it to that extent but no way I would do it again if for some reason it became necessary. I also have numbness as some of the nerves never regenerated. Sorry if I scared you! Hope your Dr is much more pro-active about pain control that mine was.