The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question for Canadian stallion owners who export semen...

We are offering shipped semen this year from our Welsh stallion and I am trying to find the easiest most convenient way for shipments to get to mare owners with the least amount of hassle... FedEX no problem got that down However from what I understand from our veterinarian at our local collection facility each state has its own requirements for importing semen and importation permits must be obtained before semen can be shipped? It was recommended to me that the easiest way to go about it was to have USA mare owners apply for the import permits from the state vet in order to ensure accuracy.

Can those of you who ship semen from Canada to the USA please shed some light on this for me??? I want to make this as easy as possible for mare owners

TIA
    Those who say "Money can't buy happiness" never bought their child a pony

www.storybookponies.net

Quote Originally Posted by bvsporthorses View Post
    We are offering shipped semen this year from our Welsh stallion and I am trying to find the easiest most convenient way for shipments to get to mare owners with the least amount of hassle... FedEX no problem got that down However from what I understand from our veterinarian at our local collection facility each state has its own requirements for importing semen and importation permits must be obtained before semen can be shipped? It was recommended to me that the easiest way to go about it was to have USA mare owners apply for the import permits from the state vet in order to ensure accuracy.
    There are literally a handful of states that require an import permit, specifically, Montana and I believe possibly Idaho and Washington - and for you stallion owners in the U.S., they require an import permit from us, as well. I am not positive on Idaho and Washington, but with Montana, they require proof that the stallion is EVA negative and the onus is on the veterinarian. He/she cannot inseminate without that import permit/approval or stands a chance of losing his license. NO EVA positive semen is permited in Montana. Things may have changed dramatically, but I think you'll find the other states don't have any specific requirements.

Your vet is correct in that the easiest and best way to do things is have the mare owner contact the Vet Board in their individual state and ask if there are any specific requirements.

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Kathy, have we just been lucky then?...as I didn't know certain States required an import permit and we've obviously never gotten one. Although, we have never sent semen to Montana or Idaho...we have to just about every other State there is though...and a ton to Washington.

We just package everything up, drop it off at Fed-Ex and wait for the U.S. Mare Owner to tell us her mare is pregnant!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Kathy, have we just been lucky then?...as I didn't know certain States required an import permit and we've obviously never gotten one. Although, we have never sent semen to Montana or Idaho...we have to just about every other State there is though...and a ton to Washington.

We just package everything up, drop it off at Fed-Ex and wait for the U.S. Mare Owner to tell us her mare is pregnant!
    Probably a combination. Montana is far and away the most restrictive. http://www.liv.mt.gov/ah/import/horse.mcpx

Washington: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalH...emenEmbryo.pdf

Idaho just wants people to be aware of the disease and its ramifications, so no permit required, but the shipment is supposed to be accompanied by a statement: http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories...portexport.php

Montana puts the onus on the veterinarian and the vet "can" lose his/her license for non-compliance. I don't believe the other two states are quite as restrictive. But, considering there are stallion owners with EVA positive stallions that encourage mare owners to just breed with semen to unvaccinated mares, I can certainly understand why some states "have" attempted to put more restrictions in place. While the disease is relatively easy to manage, it is incredibly irresponsible of those stallion owners that encourage breeding without vaccination of the mare. Their argument is that if you have to isolate your mare anyway, why not just breed and do the isolation at that point. Unfortunately, there is a HUGE difference between exposing an animal to a modified live vaccine and an actual active, live virus.

Getting the import permits are not difficult. It does require that the stallion be tested. And, I believe Montana is the only one that does not permit EVA positive semen (or horses) to be imported.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Kathy

My morning coffee just started a little bit better I was getting an information overload and this really helped clear it up!

Now does anyone out there have a contact list for each individuals state vet/board vet? I would like to compile all the contact info for every state into a list. Or... If there already is on (which would be WONDERFUL) could soemone kindly direct me to it? My google search engine is getting an exhausting workout

www.storybookponies.net

www.storybookponies.net

Ok, so does the mare owner from the us need to get the import permit or not?

Cause it isn't as easy as you think to get it. I got transferred to 5 different people before I could get an answer. So Arizona has not restrictions but to get an import application there are a bunch of things you have to so. You have to register and drive to a USDA service center then you have to pay a fee then wait for the acceptance.

So to get semen from Canada shipped to Arizona do I need an import permit or not?

I certainly don't want to go through the process and pay if I don't have to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Ok, so does the mare owner from the us need to get the import permit or not?

Cause it isn't as easy as you think to get it. I got transferred to 5 different people before I could get an answer. So Arizona has not restrictions but to get an import application there are a bunch of things you have to so. You have to register and drive to a USDA service center then you have to pay a fee then wait for the acceptance.

So to get semen from Canada shipped to Arizona do I need an import permit or not?

I certainly don't want to go through the process and pay if I don't have to do it!
    No.

This link should help some, but I would make absolutely sure before ordering semen . Good luck!

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/i...inspection.pdf

This is anecdotal and possibly not helpful but I'm in Illinois and bred my mare to Gail's Canadian stallion A Fine Romance this year and didn't need to do anything with import or exporting permits. I know we used a courier to take the semen to the border (I think?) or across the border, but other than that it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom's Rider View Post
    This is anecdotal and possibly not helpful but I'm in Illinois and bred my mare to Gail's Canadian stallion A Fine Romance this year and didn't need to do anything with import or exporting permits. I know we used a courier to take the semen to the border (I think?) or across the border, but other than that it was easy.
    For most states, that's the way it's going to be. As I said, Montana is/was the most restrictive of all the states we've dealt with to date.

Default So if, I, a mare owner in VA

wanted to breed to a stallion standing in Canada, then I need to apply to the VA state Board for a permit to import the semen?

Is that it?
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    wanted to breed to a stallion standing in Canada, then I need to apply to the VA state Board for a permit to import the semen?

Is that it?
    MW
    No, the State of Virginia has no import requirements for semen being shipped from Canada to the U.S....unless those requirements have changed in the last few months We are located in Canada and shipped semen a bunch of times to Virginia in 2012 with absolutely no problems. It sounds like it's just Montana that requires further paperwork.
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

Default Great

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    No, the State of Virginia has no import requirements for semen being shipped from Canada to the U.S....unless those requirements have changed in the last few months We are located in Canada and shipped semen a bunch of times to Virginia in 2012 with absolutely no problems. It sounds like it's just Montana that requires further paperwork.
    I like that, makes it far easier on me.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Wouldn't it be up to the Mare Owner to obtain the import permit?

You as the stallion owner would just be required to have all the testing up to date, meeting the State and USDA disease-free requirements.

Yes/no?

When I import semen from Europe or the USA, I'm always the one that gets the permits. The Stallion station or owner makes sure the testing is all in order.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Default A Maryland Mare Owner

I'm a first time breeder, interested in breeding my mare in Maryland to a Canadian stallion. I have been looking all over for answers. If I understand this thread correctly - I don't need apply to the MD State Board for a permit to import the semen?

Can someone verify this for me? Also what permit(s) do I need to send the container and breeding passport back to Canada?

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASplashOfColor View Post
    Also what permit(s) do I need to send the container and breeding passport back to Canada?
    It doesn't require any extra paperwork or permits because the Equitainer is empty and contains no biological samples.

I have bred several times to stallions standing in Canada, three different SOs, and the semen has always been shipped in a disposable container so there was no need for a return of the container.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I have bred several times to stallions standing in Canada, three different SOs, and the semen has always been shipped in a disposable container so there was no need for a return of the container.
    That entirely depends on the Stallion Owner. We only use Equitainers now, so they must be returned. When we did use disposables, we required that they be returned, as we keep them and use them to store semen for On-Farm insemination and to do our semen evaluations on our three boys throughout the year.

So it entirely depends on what your Stallion Contract says.