The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default the slipping saddle

I have a problem with my dressage saddle riding foreward onto my horses withers when I ride and I have to get off and adjust it. It was professionally reflocked and fitted last year, so It does fit the horse (although, Im going to have the saddler come out and readjust if needed). I have heard that the curved-type girths can help with this problem (ergonomic? is that what they are called?) do they really help and how? My girth is pretty crummy (I had to buy a cheapo because they kept getting stolen) but Id be interested in trying a new one if those are known to help.

It could be due to a forward girth groove. There will be folks who can come up with the right term for the specific type of girth you want (I know they're sometimes called anatomical girths, but anatomical is used for more than one style of girth.)

Or it could be that your saddle fitter got it wrong or your horse has changed shape/lost weight/topline. Typically a saddle is too wide if it's slipping forward.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

hmmm that would make sense- when I set the saddle on his back it sits in a very nice balance but where the billets hang is much further back than the girth will go (I hope that makes sense without a picture!) So, it will slide foreward when I ride, and interfere with his shoulder blade and be quite tight there.

I think I will still have the saddler check and make sure there isnt a problem with the flocking.

So, should a different girth help? Any reccomendations? I am a college student so $$ is a little tight.

It was professionally reflocked and fitted last year.
    I'd expect to reflock at least every 6 months to maintain fit - depends on how much you ride & the consistency in your horse's topline/fitness etc.

Sorry to hear about the girths
    I'd have the fitter out & discuss options, then invest in a suitable girth (used is fine as long as you can check the buckle ends for wear) - take it home or burn your name into it.

I have found that if the tree flares out a bit in front, the saddle is more likely to slide forward. Every saddle that slides up on my Arab has a tree that's a bit flared in front. And trust me, he will let you know when he's not happy.

A correctly-fitting saddle will not ride up the withers. Period. I've been through about 8 with my boy, and finally have one that works for him. I can ride in a loose girth and it stays put.

okay, I have found a few options. Id like to stay under $100 if possible. Anyone tried any of these?

Delfina
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delfina-Anat...#ht_1618wt_109

The Ovation Body Form
    http://www.amazon.com/Ovation-Body-F...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0

im open to suggestions and opinions

I have the Ovation Body Form and I really like it. My mare has a VERY forward girth groove, and this one gives her a bit of freedom behind the elbow, and keeps the saddle in place. It is soft and comfy, and then I added sheepskin just because... Victory Canter usually has the best price.

If the girth does not help and it still slips then try a non slip pad. Cheaper then reflocking if you can not do that right away.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Default slipping saddle

My horse also has that problem. It is caused by a forward girth groove. A county logic girth solved the problem. Th delfina girth looks similar to the county and much cheaper.

they both look pretty good-- I cant decide :/

I have a horse with this problem also (forward girth groove, low withers, mare). In addition to a contour girth and point billets on my saddle, my saddle fitter recommended using saddle pads with front pockets for shims - which really helps. Something like this -- http://www.smartpakequine.com/mattes...A&cm_vc=UpSell

Question: Is she downhill? Does she have a short back? Does your saddle have point billets or at least forward set billets? JUST went through this and hopefully can be of some assistance! :-D
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Question: Is she downhill? Does she have a short back? Does your saddle have point billets or at least forward set billets? JUST went through this and hopefully can be of some assistance! :-D
    He is somewhat downhil, but not a lot-- (hes a TB). He has high withers (which might be part of the problem. a big shoulder that makes the saddle have to sit back farther and the girth groove is farrr foreward.) Looking back, I have pretty much had this problem with any saddle I have used on him.

any other reviews on either of these girths?

My pony is slightly downhill with a foreward girth groove and a short back. I tried an anatomical girth with no luck. Shed only 18" so I got one from England. What worked for me was the point billets and short panels. Could you post a picture so we can see better and help you decide?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

It's the design of the saddle that is not working. If the saddle flares open at the head, that is an issue. You probably need shoulder gussets, point billets, and the rails (the panels) to be more parallel. I tried a County Logic girth, but it gapped, so pressure was uneven. I have moved on to a cord girth, Trevira, and my mare is happier. But we've also been through many saddles. I use an Ecogold non-slip pad, but that is moderate help in making things stable.

The real need is a saddle that fits the curve of your horses back with as much panel contact as possible - check the saddle pad after a ride and look for a clear outline of the panels. If your horse's back is not super short, sometimes going up a saddle half/size can help.

Quote Originally Posted by shall View Post
    It's the design of the saddle that is not working. If the saddle flares open at the head, that is an issue. You probably need shoulder gussets, point billets, and the rails (the panels) to be more parallel. I tried a County Logic girth, but it gapped, so pressure was uneven. I have moved on to a cord girth, Trevira, and my mare is happier. But we've also been through many saddles. I use an Ecogold non-slip pad, but that is moderate help in making things stable.

The real need is a saddle that fits the curve of your horses back with as much panel contact as possible - check the saddle pad after a ride and look for a clear outline of the panels. If your horse's back is not super short, sometimes going up a saddle half/size can help.
    I guess you missed the whole rest of the thread... I dont have the money for an expensive girth LET ALONE A NEW SADDLE! Also, the saddle fits very well, that is not the problem. (as I already mentioned)

I guess you missed the whole rest of the thread... I dont have the money for an expensive girth LET ALONE A NEW SADDLE!
    Except when I read the OP, it did rather sound as if the saddle fit better in the past & now slippage is more of a problem ... if the saddle has always slipped badly, then why did you & the saddle fitter not sort out this issue back then

You can go out & buy/try a bunch of girths, but moving/altering the billets may be the best solution - assuming that the tree of the saddle is the right shape for the horse.
    If the tree shape is not a good fit, then all the panels adjustments & non-slip pads & girths & leather straps are not going to prevent the saddle from shifting.

Also, the saddle fits very well, that is not the problem.
    Saddles that fit properly don't slip - it's really that simple.
    It may not be in the budget to buy that perfect custom saddle that won't slip, but the first step to solving saddle slippage is assessing why it doesn't fit & then working to correct that.
    When you fit a horse with a forward girth groove, choosing a saddle with billets that accomodate that must be one of the main determinants.

What Alto said :-) . In many cases, getting the saddle to fit right...and keeping an eye on the changes of the horse in regards to fit, will save you so much more $$$$ down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEvent View Post
    any other reviews on either of these girths?
    forgot to mention, both these girths have been discussed on the forum, if you Search & choose Show Posts, you don't have to wade through threads for the relevant posts.