The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Inexpensive leather halter?

I need to buy a couple halters, want something that will break if needed, and was going to order something from Dover or smartpak in the near future, any opinions on halters they sell, something inexpensive, but not cheaply made?
    whitney

I bought a couple of Perri's halters from Jeffers and have been very happy with them. I use them for turnout and in the trailer, so I want them to break if something drastic happens. But they seem to hold up quite well for that kind of daily use (in the absence of anything drastic).
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Check out chicks saddlery- they have leather halters that come with engraving for $25. I haven't bought any myself yet but have heard that for the price they are really great and pretty well made...

I have had the Hampton Triple Stitched halter from Dover and it is pretty inexpensive and while it was a little stiff at first, with some cleaning and use it is pretty nice. I had it for my old gelding and used it mostly for hauling and at shows. He was retired early so it wasn't used a whole lot, but I think if you are looking for an inexpensive but fairly nice halter it is a good option! I put a name plate on it later and it looked very nice!

I've had several cheap leather halters, and the ones I've tried are all are stiff crackly leather. However, you can get a basic turnout halter from Quillin for $33 (more for extras like throat snap, english chin, etc), and they are lovely leather that wears well and lasts forever.

https://quillin.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=970&xSec=20

Just wanted to share this one (for all the bargain hunters out there) : http://www.bigdweb.com/LEATHER-HALTER/productinfo/1177/

I have no idea on quality but it's almost cheaper than most nylon ones. Might be a good choice for everyday use or turnout.

I believe that halter from Big Dee is the same one that Chick's sells with a nameplate for around $25. I have a couple of them for at home, they're really stiff at first, but if you send your horses out in the pasture to play in the mud long enough they soften up ok. Not super great quality, but good enough for at home where they only need to walk to and from the pasture with it on.

I recently bought this one for the horse who's boarded out, http://www.bigdweb.com/1-INCH-LEATHE...uctinfo/11320/
    Its wayyy nicer than I expected, I'd even use it for showing. though I think i only paid 39.99 for it.

I like Quillins. Reasonably priced (cheaper than Dover) and EXCELLENT quality.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm