The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spin-off How to look put together when you're losing weight.

And, can't afford a new wardrobe for every size on your downward path.

I'm in the process of losing weight. I need to lose a lot of weight, somewhere in the range of 80-100 lbs. I'm doing well, down 26 lbs in two months. But, I obviously have a long way to go, and my clothes are beginning to get baggy.

Are there any tricks that I can use to keep my wardrobe looking decent through at least a couple of sizes?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thrift Stores and Salvation Army are your friends during the losing process.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Yes, thrift stores. Also, work pants/trousers that are low waisted that kind of hang anyway? A looser fit and those seem to look nice in a 20 pound fluctuation Of course, I have a small waist and hips so I love the way lower waisted pants sit right on my hips (not the teenage nasty fat roll thingy hanging out, just slightly low waisted).

Also, womens button up shirts, can be worn over a nice cheaper cotton shirt buttoned (skinny you) or unbuttoned (fatty you).
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

yes, cheap stores are your friend! Like Old Navy, Marshalls, Target, etc. I have a good friend who has lost over 100 lbs over the last couple years and at first when the weight was seriously falling off her, she would just buy a couple pairs of cheap pants (because the tops don't get noticeably baggy as quickly) from Target or whatever, and then just give them away after a few weeks.

And congrats on the weightloss so far!

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

At the barn yesterday, I resorted to belting my jeans with baling twine. It worked but I don't think I want to go out in public that way.

Cheap stores are a good idea. Do they have many X sizes, however? It'll be a while before I'm down to the normal sizes. I haven't been in a "real" store in ages. Woman Within has been my go to exclusively.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Twine belt...very rural horse lady!

Current fashions are a big help with this issue.
    Skinny jeans, leggings, etc. They fit a huge range of sizes as your size changes. (stretch skinny jeans)

Pair with long tops. Belt or not, up to you. Or toss on a blazer.
    Hides areas you don't want to show off right now.
    Both top types will fit you through a bunch of size changes too.
    And it's a nice look. Easy to dress up or down with belts, shoes or other accessories.

And wow, huge congrats on the 26 lbs! Way to go Louise!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I think several of the stores will have x sizes. I know Old Navy for instance has an entire line of plus sized clothes that goes up to 4x I believe. They have lots of options online, but don't know how much of it they carry in the stores. A friend of mine recently lost a lot of weight as well, and she relied on old navy and target for new options. Plus, she said getting to buy new outfits was a huge reward confidence boost and helped to keep her on track.

Congrats on your weight loss so far, what an accomplishment!

Congrats on your progress! I think you'llfind al sizes at thrift stores, etc. And you can get some leggings or sport tights in black that should fit for a while. Marshall's has a good selection, usually, and you can get 2 pairs and wear them every day, and no one will know how many pairs you have! That plus button down shirts that you can wear open even when they're too big.

You're a caterpillar right now-your cocoon doesn't matter. Put your energy into butterfly-making. Go baby go!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

<3 Old Navy and thats how I was able to get new clothes while losing weight too. Esp when they have their sales, you can make off with a killing in clothes. Plus their clothes tend to run a little big... at least I think so. I have a couple of shirts in mediums now where I wear larges in everything else.

Congrats on your weight loss!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!