The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Bought!!

So, I found my new horse (after 15 yrs off of riding and lessons for the past 7 months). Posted her sales video (dressagey) on here a week ago. I think it is totally possible to find a hidden gem on a budget and I couldn't be happier!! 9 yo 17.1 hh tb/holsteiner. Her grandparents are Accord II and Final Pool. She hasn't been consistently ridden in awhile and never had consistent, good training it seems. She is gonna make an awesome hunter for me, I think! Looking for names as I am not much into her current names. Ideas? let me know!

video of me trying her a few days ago:
    http://youtu.be/RL5UtQFOf3Q

my kiddos w/ her
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f.../newhorse1.jpg
    Last edited by elizabuggy; Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: wrong info

She's adorable! Congrats! How exciting Love it!

No idea on names just yet, but is lovely! And you would never know you've had 15 years off of riding. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabuggy View Post
    So, I found my new horse (after 15 yrs off of riding and lessons for the past 7 months). Posted her sales video (dressagey) on here a week ago. I think it is totally possible to find a hidden gem on a budget and I couldn't be happier!! 9 yo 17.1 hh tb/holsteiner. Her grandpa is Gem Twist!! She hasn't been consistently ridden in awhile and never had consistent, good training it seems. She is gonna make an awesome hunter for me, I think! Looking for names as I am not much into her current names. Ideas? let me know!

video of me trying her a few days ago:
    http://youtu.be/RL5UtQFOf3Q

my kiddos w/ her
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f.../newhorse1.jpg
    Not trying to be negative at all, just clarifying, Gem Twist can be no horses grand sire as he was a gelding.... perhaps New Twist, Good Twist, Good News Joe (Most of the Twist's were not very big, he was the exception).

Congrats!!! She is lovely & cute pic of her & the kiddies

She is lovely!!!

She is lovely. Congratulations.

(P.S. How could her grandpa be Gem Twist? He was a gelding. Was he bred before being gelded? If so, I never knew that.)

Just updated her pedigree information. I really had the names confused...guess I am a tiny bit excited
    Last edited by elizabuggy; Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

I like her! She looks very soft and quiet! Good luck with her
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

I have several friends with Holsteiners and their crosses and they are lovely brave and very people friendly.

If I recall correctly the first letter of their registered name is related to the year they were born, or something like that (at least for the registered ones). So maybe you could start her name with that same letter?

Congrats she is very pretty!

YAY- you got her! I remember when you posted her sales video and I liked the looks of her. Congrats!!

P.S. Your kids are adorable too

Yay! This is a nice mare that they have been trying to sell since summer, hence the drop in price. I am SO glad that she found a home!

She looks lovely. Congrats.

Unless she breaks in half trying to ditch you going into the ring, Serenity is pretty nice and the one word names are quite in fashion.

Or you could do Serenade, Serena or something in that family to keep the "S".

Congrats on your purchase...and it must be hard finding one tall enough for you, what are you? 5'10" or so? I had the opposite problem trying to avoid looking like a peanut on anything over 15.3.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Congrats! She's lovely.

Thx everyone! She needs lots of work and is very out of shape, but incredibly sweet and huge potential. BTW...what does premium foal mean? She is a premium foal and I know that is good, but unclear what it means exactly. Thx!

You called her a Holsteiner cross - is she actually a Holsteiner? Premium depends on which registry she was approved by, but for all of them it means she was a very good representative of the qualities for which that registry is looking.

She looks super nice - like she is just begging to be a hunter, and very happy with you riding her. Congrats!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

What a lovely canter. Congrats!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    You called her a Holsteiner cross - is she actually a Holsteiner? Premium depends on which registry she was approved by, but for all of them it means she was a very good representative of the qualities for which that registry is looking.

She looks super nice - like she is just begging to be a hunter, and very happy with you riding her. Congrats!
    She is 1/2 Holsteiner and registered with the Oldenburg registry.
    Yes, she sooo wants to get out of her dressage frame! When I rode her yesterday for the 2nd time before buying her she was very willing to stretch and go longer. She is definitely out of shape, so it is going to be a slow road for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabuggy View Post
    She is 1/2 Holsteiner and registered with the Oldenburg registry.
    I have a gelding by a Hanoverian, out of a Westphalian mare who's registered with the Oldenburg registry. He's a premium foal as well, because of breeding and conformation. It's probably the same for your mare.
    Congrats on your new girl! She's gorgeous. And yes, it's very possible to get a very nice horse on a budget. I wasn't looking for horses when my (very talented and super willing) gelding mentioned above "found me," but I got him even cheaper than my budget would have been if I was looking.
    "It's hard to wait for something you know might not happen, but it's even harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."
    Blog | YouTube