The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sport Horse auction in Virginia

Hello,

Just curious if anyone here went to the auction and if so...what were the prices like?

Are you talking about the PAS auction at Frying Pan Park?

I was there today, smallest auction I can remember attending there (over at 3:30, which was unprecedented), and as usual--the buyers were NOT opening their pocketbooks. Lots of horses, nice, sound decent looking horses under 15 years old (not super fancy, but who moved and jumped well and who were experienced and pretty rideable) whose bids didn't even reach 2K, and lots of no-sales. I think the "sale topper" went for 8K; there were several fancy WBs there who fetched decent prices, a few over 6K.

I think the breeding farms have gotten wise to the fact that the buyers who attend these auctions have a low maximum price point, above which they will not bid! Too bad, since there were many who left the ring unsold I hope the ones who *did* sell went to good homes, a number were sold for under $1500.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I attended the auction as well and would have to agree with Dr. Doolittle. There were far fewer horses and ponies than in the past and the prices were low. The warmbloods were well bred and nicely started but fetched far less than their worth.