The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Body clipping question

Just body clipped for the first time ever. Horse is a yak and 70 degrees in March is killing him. Anyway, since I'm new to this, I'm stressing a bit and worrying about him getting chilled. It's supposed to be in the low 50's at night and he's in a stall - should I sheet him or do you think he'll be ok naked? Trying not to obsess too much, but going from yak to hairless might be a shock to his system.

50s is like room temperature to a horse. If he has hay, he should be fine. But if you are stressing out, put a sheet on him. He'll be fine either way.
    Click here before you buy.

I have the same problem. I have an old one that is an absolute yak, but she stays outside. These past few days, that have been so warm, she's been sweating a lot and she's not much of a sweater. I'm afraid to clip her and then it get chilly and she is old and naked and chilly. I can blanket her, but that doesn't help her neck and legs and belly and after having so much hair, I'm afraid she would get cold easily.

typically i dont sheet anything clipped 50+ degrees. he'll be fine til next weekend; im a little north of b'more and its gonna be in the 40s, it says !

My 24 year old is sheeted right now, my 11 month old is not. Both are body clipped. If it cools down to a more seasonal temp I will sheet them both. If it gets real cold I will put a medium on the old guy but the baby stays much warmer on her own accord it seems.

Thanks guys - I'll sleep a bit better now. Leaving him naked for now.