The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place to order prescriptions online?

Considering that we have 2 dogs needing heartworm preventative and flea control (we are using Comfortis), the warmer months hit the wallet pretty hard. Six months' worth of Comfortis is nearly $100.

My vet is fine with us ordering online; we don't even have to fax or e-mail a prescription. They'll give the go-ahead to any of these proprietors calling to verify.

Obviously price is the biggest consideration, but reliability is also important. I don't want to place an order with someone who requires, say, a two-month lead time.

So - who do COTHers like?

I like both 1800 petmeds and Dr. Foster & Smith. Pretty comparible pricing, but some items are cheaper on 1800 pet meds and vice versa.

Luckily, my vet will do price matching for me if I print out the product page and bring it in. Maybe your vet would entertain that idea?

Clayton, CA USA

I did some RX comparison shopping with 1800petmeds, Dr. Foster and Smith, and Valley Vet. Valley Vet was considerably less expensive for what I needed for my dog.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Cypress, near Houston, Texas

Here's what I do:

I have all my prescriptions at PetMeds and then before I order a refill I do a google search to see if the meds are available someplace else for less. If they are, I order at PetMeds and then send them an email asking them to meet the other price. I send them a link and they have ALWAYS honored the cheaper price by taking off the difference on my invoice before sending in the credit card number for payment.

In this way I don't have to deal with having prescriptions on file at many different places.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at or our FaceBook page at Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Drs. Foster and Smith usually works for the combination of meds our herd uses.

Eastern Shore, MD

I use SmartPak for most of the heartworm meds and the big guy's Deramaxx, and KV Vet for anything else. In terms of price, I've found that most of the big places are within a couple dollars of each other once you factor in shipping, and since I'm in the MidAtlantic, SmartPak orders get here VERY quickly, so they get most of my business.

When Shadow was on Deramaxx I got it from Valley Vet, and they were great.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Upstate, NY

I use Foster and Smith for Dermaxx, $60 less than my vet.
    I shop for flea and tick as have 3 dogs and 3 cats.