The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why do some people bring their dogs into stores...?

And not supervise them? Why is it necessary to bring your dog into Lowe's, or Home Depot, or Southern States? Does your mastiff have a better eye for lumber than you? Is your cocker telling you what seeds to buy for the garden?

Yes, this is mostly a vent.
    We went to Southern States today (farm & garden store, for those not familiar). DH, DS (who is nearly 3), and myself. DS sees a neat keychain on a man's belt and reaches for it. DH has him by the hand, pulls him away, and apologizes to the man. I also apologize. Man says it's fine, everyone moves on.

While we're there, a couple comes in with a cocker spaniel on a leash. They talk with an associate, and the dog goes over to visit someone else. It jumps up his leg for love. The man pets it and dog moves on to another and another person begging for love. The owners thought it was great that the dog was so friendly. The dog came over to me while I was checking out, sniffing my shoes and getting underfoot. I stepped around it to get out. DH kept DS from getting too close to strange dog.

Okay, the actual vent is twofold.
    One: Not everyone loves kids or wants to deal with them. We do our best not to force them to deal with ours. We try to anticipate problems before they start, and apologize if we're not quick enough. Not everyone likes dogs. It is a stretch (in my mind) to bring a dog into a store that does not specifically welcome them. Like PetSmart. A leash does not mean your dog is under control. It is simply a means of control. Watch your dog.

Two: A store not specifically dog-friendly means other customers may not have doggy's best interests in mind. Case in point: I happened to slip on the sneakers that I often wear to work - At the Pound. I do NOT wear them if I plan on contacting other dogs. I don't know what could be there, and I don't know if their dog is vaccinated. That is why I got away from it as quickly as I could. If I knew I was going to meet other dogs, I would have grabbed other shoes.

Three: So there is a third point.
    There were bins full of bunnies, guinea pigs, and chicks. If I had been that complacent with my dogs, there would have been fewer squeak toys in the world.

So, yes. I need to make better wardrobe plans to accomodate for others.
    I don't expect you to love my kid. Don't expect me to love your dog. If I want to pet it, I will ask.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Gee, I was thinking the same thing about people with their children at Target today.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Four legged or two, people need to control their wee ones
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

I travel with my dog. Because I take her with me, out and about, she is vaccinated to the max, including kennel cough.

A garden/home renovation store is somewhere I would bring my dog. Once I'm in, I am almost always there for hours. My dog is behaved, on leash, and no further than 2 feet from me. Not necessarily my dd when she was a 3 year old kid. I couldn't put the kid on a leash.

You issue seems to be with supervision. I think one can argue, with either kids or dogs, it all comes back to the parent, no?

I'm more annoyed by screaming, obnoxious kids than by dogs.

My father always takes his dog to restaurants. (he asks first...) lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I thought it was funny when the owner of a pawn store we were in had a little dog that went around lifting his leg on everything, including an amp and musical instruments.

I take my dog to stores sometimes, its good socialization and lets me run errands while spending time with my pups

in fact the very first day we adopted our doberman on the way back home we went in Tractor Supply with both dogs and picked her out a kennel and it was nice to let her get in one to make sure the size would be good

I keep an eye on them and keep them on a short leash but responsible is responsible whether with kids or pets

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

haha welcome to Europe...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=3f81d2bcae that is perfectly normal. In Paris the other day I even saw a woman take a handbag dog into the changing rooms with her.

Personally I feel like most dogs would probably rather be at home than in clothes stores with their owners, or left tied outside. I dunno, just doesn't seem very fair.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

edit to respond to the post above mine: I hate it when people leave dogs tied outside. I try not to do that for longer than a minute, and only then when absolutely necessary. I think it's uncomfortable for most dogs and a lot of people who have to walk by them too.

I take my dogs into stores all the time. Heck, I take my dogs into my local bank branch, because they've specifically invited me to.

For me, it's often a matter of the dog's comfort. I usually have a dog with me, and while he's fine being left in the car, during the summer it's too hot, and it's just nicer to take him with me if I can. I mean, I'll leave him at home if I'm mostly going to be at places where dogs are not welcome, but most of my clients are okay with my one dog coming with me, so if I'm running errands between work stops, or going to 3 stores and 2 are explicitly pet-friendly (like sometimes I'll drive an hour to the nearest Petsmart and a dog-friendly specialty feed store, and also stop at Home Depot while I'm in the city), it's just nicer to bring him in the store with me.

He's well-trained and stays with me though. I only let him approach people if they invite him. There's really not an excuse for having a rude dog in public outside of training classes, or for having a dog in public and not paying close attention to it. That's the trade off--it's fun to have your dog with you, but you always have to pay attention.

I take my dogs here and there, from time to time. Particularly, just now, the recently rescued terrier, good training and socialization, and he learns that no, when we go for a car ride he isn't going to get dumped somewhere.

But, whether in a store, or on a walk, they are on leash, not allowed to jump up on folks, well behaved. And not petted unless people ask first.

My peeve is, of course, the other idjits who don't control their dogs and kids! But no different, really, than the idjits that think it's 'cute' to let their horse go nose to nose with yours.

I LOVE the signs outside of Petco & PetSmart stores that say "Your leashed & vaccinated pets are always welcome here". Like - how do they check that every yahoo walking into the store with their dog has been vaccinated. Gotta love that.

I used to work at a Petsmart and it's meant as a polite way of saying, "Please DON'T bring your filthy, wild, unvaccinated creature in here!"

Can't speak for others, but I do it because I live on a fairly remote farm and otherwise my dogs won't get socialized. So I take them to TSC and Lowe's and whereever else welcomes dogs. Or doesn't specifically forbid them.

No, they're not allowed to accost random strangers. Cause y'know the whole point is to teach the dog how to behave around people s/he doesn't live with.

I guess a lot of people agree with the OP, though. I remember when shopping malls were great places to socialize one's dogs. Back before people got so damned twitchy about encountering dogs in stores.

I don't mind when people have well behaved pets in stores like TSC or petsmart. I often take my dog into TSC and let her pick out her own treat.

I used to work at a feed store and once a lady brought her large dog in, he crapped on the floor (huge messy runny poo) and she looked the other way until he was done and then bought he stuff and left without telling any employees or asking for something to clean it up with. I found out the poo was there after another customer told me and I had to clean it up, it was awful.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I used to work at a Petsmart and it's meant as a polite way of saying, "Please DON'T bring your filthy, wild, unvaccinated creature in here!"
    Yeah - but you know that that ain't happening. I'd NEVER EVER bring my dog into a PetSmart or PetCo. Yes, my dogs are vaccinated & friendly, but Good Lord, there's a heckuva lot of upper respiratory crap that dogs (& cats) can pick up in places like this. And you don't know that every animal has been vaccinated for Lord Know's What.

While I love the idea of my dogs meeting & greeting - it ain't gonna happen at a PetCo/PetSmart.

Umm, because they are co-dependent with their dogs?

I seriously doubt the dogs "enjoy" the shopping experience.

Yes, I am a dog person. Have shown dogs too.

Good question OP.

I have a dog, he is considered a family member, and I love all animals. But it seems like a lot of people feel like they are entitled to take their dog wherever they want and allow it to run around loose.

Stores like Petco or Petsmart that allow pets - fine. I won't take my dog there, but I don't mind if other people want to do that. I expect when I shop there that dogs might be present.

Lowe's or Home Depot? Why would you bring your pet there? Most stores have signs posted at the door which clearly state animals are not allowed with the exception of service animals (as it should be.)

I spend a lot of time outside in parks, and there too I see plenty of dogs off leash which shouldn't be. (There is a leash law or a park leash requirement.) I don't want to be chased and I don't want to be almost bowled over or trip over your pet. There are designated off-leash areas. Use those.

I don't mind pets. I do mind people who don't follow the rules or think they are above the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

Good question OP.
    Haha I was totally going to say the co-dependent thing but didn't want to get flamed for it. Dog lover, dog owner here. Dog doesn't go shopping with me. At the bookstore I worked at, several people brought in their (non-helper) dogs. Annoyed the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post

Lowe's or Home Depot? Why would you bring your pet there? Most stores have signs posted at the door which clearly state animals are not allowed with the exception of service animals (as it should be.)

Lowe's and Home Depot don't have those signs. The reason many people bring their dogs there is that those style buildings are very like the ones used for indoor shows.

Maybe you have heard the term "school more, whine less"?

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

Good question OP.
    If you want to get down to it, could say the same about kids.

Most kids don't really enjoy going shopping unless it's the toy store, eh? I was one once, I remember.

Of course, can't just lock little Johnny up in a crate at home either...hmm.

~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website