The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 45 yo lady starting P90x April 1st!!! Crazy or what?

I did it - I've been eyeing these super hard workout dvd's since they came out, and finally took the plunge - found one offered half price on Craigslist and brought it home.

Now... giving myself a couple weeks to prepare! Got a clearance from my dr, so I'm not being totally insane (yeah, that's the next one I'm eyeing - Insanty LOL)

I've always been athletic, enjoy pushing myself, and do best with bootcamp type instructors & clear goals. But I know this is going to be maybe the biggest physical challenge I've taken on yet!

The times seems right as I have time after work to tackle it (my prime time energy wise), and I think it will help counteract the major stress I've been under from various problems. I'm at a good weight for my height (127lbs, 5'6") but I feel myself turning from muscles to flab. Fighting back!

I know I've seen it talked about on here, but has anyone been crazy enough to try it at my age?

I honestly think the hardest part for me is going to be the cooking he expects us to do But that is good too as I've been relying too much on processed junk food lately.

My Dad started P90x at the age of 60... and personally, I think he is nuts!!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I was 38 when I started my first round (I also started on April 1st that year and I was horribly overweight and ridiculously unfit)). Did 3 more rounds after that, then went to P90X+, Insanity, Turbo Fire, ChaLean Extreme, Insanity: The Asylum, got my ACE personal trainer certification, got certified to teach Turbo Kick, ran my first half marathon and am gearing up for a 2nd in 3 weeks.

Yep...you can do it. The hardest part with P90X is pushing through the muscle soreness in the first 2 weeks and making sure you carve out 60+ minutes each day to workout.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

glfprncs, you are inspiring me! That's what I'm hoping, this will become the start of a renewed commitment to above average fitness for me.

Good heads up about the initial muscle soreness - I know my tendancy will be to feel "poor me" and take day(s) off. Must cowboy up!

Yes, it is a bit nuts - but I feel excited about being this kind of nuts!

Not at all! We have a 65 year old grandmother that does Crossfit with us at my gym. Just ease into it, pay attention to your body and be safe - but I'd tell anyone that at any age. Good luck!

Good luck! I also CrossFit with people your age and they regularly run circles around me (if you haven't heard of CrossFit, some of the ideas behind it are similar to P90x)

If you find the program doesn't do it for you (I personally cannot stand working out on my own anymore, let alone for 60+ minutes) I definitely recommend checking out CrossFit. It has been the most amazing thing I've done for myself and my health.

Cool, thanks for inspiration! I have a coworker doing Cross Fit and he is looking great.

Countdown: 12 Days until beginning P90x!

My son and I are going to start that together soon. I just turned 47, so I'll let you know if I think you're crazy in a few weeks.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Yay! I was hoping to see another 40 something lady having a go at it here. We can compare notes next OT day

Just started week 9 of P90X, loving the results! Hubby and I are doing it together and while we weren't "fat" we were pushing fluffy and collectively we've lost over 30 lbs (I'm at 14 myself). I'm down to a size 4 in jeans now, skinnier than I was in HS!

My mom just started it at 54 last week after getting tired of her same old same old work out videos!

Just a note, my mom, DH and I are all using the nutritional guide as well. It takes a little getting used to, but I feel that if I'm going to put in all the effort, I might as well get the whole experience in!

Could you guys link to whatever it is you are talking about?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I did it at age 49 for 7 months w/ my neighbor; she has a gym in her house. Did not lose one pound which was very disappointing. On a positive note, was quite fit and noticed when hiking w/ my hubby, I was no longer winded and could hike much longer. Tony is quite funny and does a good job of motivating. Would have continued, but neighbor was bored and decided not to do it anymore. I don't think the yoga is safe; if you're a beginner at yoga, be cautious and do not attempt all the positions. I would recommend buying a beginner yoga or pilates CD. Have fun.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach