The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Centaur Fencing- White, Brown or Black????

So, I'm putting up Centaur fencing with the hot wire inside. I LOVE the look of the white, especially since my barn is going to be a dark gray with white trim, but does the white fencing STAY white????

The last thing I want is nasty dirty white fencing...
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I always thought I wanted the white too. Little old house on the property is white, black shuttters/roof.

But I went with black and could NOT be happier. Yes, originally did so because of the 'mold' showing issue, and hearing it will happen (!) However, now? I am so happy with the black for another reason: In my case the property is quite small. The 'pastures' are one section on one side of the driveway, and another on the opposite side. the side of the driveway that has the 'barn' attached to it is divided into: a sacrifice area connected to barn: leads into a smaller turnout that can be opened, and leads into a larger turnout (dressage arena sized) and all can be opened to each other.

The black '3 board' look is much less 'chopped' looking than the white would have been. I think it makes the property look bigger and much less boxed off. And I like the 'standard' gate colors with the black much better than with the white. Mine are the hunter green. And, I used the black coated wire, both at top rail and along bottom rail ...(thinking 'mini' companion)

first slideshow at fencing completion:
    http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

second slide show at horse first visit:
    http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

last slide show after barn work updates:

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...arn%20updates/

Soon to come will be roof raising/replacing over barn area, interlocking stall mats edge to edge in run in , and interlocking stall mats edge to edge in outdoor washrack, and (!!) huge hunter green corian counter top with sink and Eccotemp propane on demand water heater installed in outdoor wash rack with cross tie posts.

I love it!!!
    Last edited by ayrabz; Mar. 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Black or brown, the white will get nasty looking. I like Brown because it looks more natural.
    Enjoy!

I have brown because I didn't want to stain the posts. There are some pics on my website that shows the brown fencing. I like it.

Not a fan of white for reasons already stated. Also it blends in with the snow which for some reason bothers me. I guess I think it's not as much as a visual barrier? Maybe I'm just overthinking that whole thing.

Black looks really sharp. Especially if you also stain the posts black. I was really torn between brown and black but I knew realistically I'd never keep up with keeping the posts stained/painted.

I'm really happy with the Centaur fencing!!

DO NOT GET WHITE. It looks terrible after it gets dirty, and it gets dirty fast. The farm we bought came with white flex fence and it was the first think we ripped out. I cringe just thinking about it. Brown or black would look great. My preference would be brown, I like to go as natural as possible.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

NEVER White..it looks like crap..came with farm hate it!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post

But I went with black and could NOT be happier.

I love it!!!

Beautiful!

I agree, black or brown all the way. Very, very classy looking. White would get very gross, very fast in my climate and probably in some others as well.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Everyone made a good point for dark colors and the pictures show it is a very discrete and beautiful fence in dark.

I have black and it looks great many years later.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have brown because that fit our place better - house is Craftsman/NW style in brown with green trim and barn was designed to match. White would look silly here, plus my friends that had the white had to peer wash it all the time to keep it from turning green. Plus with the brown, I didn't need to paint the posts. For cross fencing, I used brown Horseguard tape and it all looks really nice together.

In your case, Since you plan to go dark gray and white for the barn, I'd take a look at the black Centaur. I bet it looks great with your barn and I know I'd prefer it to the white.

While black would sure look good with grey and white, I think that dark brown would also be fine.

Well, I am the first dissenter here I guess. While I think that black looks nice, the brown doesn't really do it for me. We went with white because the barn had white trim.

I have had Centaur in for 10 years now and the fence still looks quite good. On some of the north facing sections, it does get some algae, but a spray with bleach works fine to clear that up quickly.

Maybe in different environments you might get more algae growth. I live in SE PA. As far as dirt, it really doesn't get dirty that much at all.

Here's photos that were taken last year.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze85onr/e.../our_farm.html

Here are some photos taken this year close up to the fence. This section of fence is about 5 years old.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/s...yst%20Q%20colt

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/s...%202011%20colt

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2166841784816&l=bc691d911e

This section of fence is 10 years old and has never been sprayed with bleach or cleaned
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1870192768776&l=1fba84a294

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1870191968756&l=acda004407

None of the sections of fence posted in the close ups have ever been cleaned or sprayed with bleach.
    Last edited by Edgewood; Mar. 18, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: fixed facebook links so all could see; fixed typo

You fence looks nice, but your horses look AWESOME.

OK, well maybe white would work in some areas. Here in the south, I've seen it, all green and nasty. I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser12 View Post
    You fence looks nice, but your horses look AWESOME.

OK, well maybe white would work in some areas. Here in the south, I've seen it, all green and nasty. I stand corrected!
    Thank you Cruiser12! I think my foals are pretty nice and photogenic .

And yes, I think in more hot and humid environments the white might get more algae. We do get humidity here in PA, but nothing like in the South for sure!

We put up the white fencing but now wish we had put up the brown. The fence DOES grow green stuff and needs to be cleaned occassionally but not that often. Centaur fencing is nice no matter what color you choose.

Does the dark colored fence (black or brown) ever fade?
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I have the white centaur fencing and I love the look of it. However, like mentioned above, it does get very dirty. How do you clean it? Will bleach affect the integrity of the vinyl? Do you wipe it afterwards, or just spray it?

Thanks.

Have to agree, white is a PITA. We painted our fencing white. Looks like crap now, and will all be repainted black, hopefully this spring/summer!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Kris, LOVELY!
    ---
    They're small hearts.

My black fence (from Ramm, not Centaur, but I'd expect similar performance) shows no evidence of fading in fairly harsh sun conditions. It was installed in 2004.

By contrast, a white PVC lawn chair in my back yard has pretty much disintegrated in that time. (Other chairs are holding up better, thank goodness.)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket