The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Economical Tack Trunk

I just bought this from Lowe's, and I thought I'd share:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91573-230-L3...ductId=3047281

I'm using it for the first time tomorrow, so we'll see how it works out. I packed it tonight, and I'm really pleased with how much it holds. I have in it my first aid kit (in one of those clear Sterilite tote bins), an anti-sweat sheet, a wool cooler, a dress sheet, two stacked 8-qt. pails with my bathing supplies, my tall boot bag w/boots, towels, saddle pads, extra reins and girth, and a full set of tall shipping boots. I could still put some more in there if I tightened up how I have things packed.

I had been looking at the Stanley rolling tool chest, but when I saw this I thought I'd like it better because it's more of a "trunk" size and it's sturdy enough to sit on.

Just thought I'd share. You never know who might be looking for a good bargain...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

That's nice!
    I've had my eye on the kelly green metal trunk HD sells for about $200. I was using a rolling plactic foot locker from WM $14, worked great. Not heavy duty and no lockability tho.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

I have had a similar looking one from rubbermaid for years. It is great to use as a braiding stand at the trailer too.

Nancy!

My best friend has one exactly like that, but with wheels and a retractable handle, that she's used for years and she's a hunter. She absolutely loves it, and it was a fraction of the cost of one marketed to us spendy equestrians.

Ive had this trunk for YEARS and it's still in perfect shape, enjoy it! It holds a ton and it's pretty indestructible

link isn't working for me. Can you fix it?

The link has been working fine, but when I just clicked on it after reading your post, Mukluk, it says the Lowe's website is undergoing routine maintenance. Perhaps you can try again later?

OK now the link works. Off hand I like that the stanley has wheels and it is certainly sturdy enough to sit on! At any rate good on you for saving money!!!!!

I've been looking for something big with a lock - my tack stuff is right at the door to the tack room and I end up missing things and then finding them in the weirdest places (my tail brush was in the indoor arena once?) so I know people grab stuff to borrow. I don't care so much if they put it back. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

kudos, this has the lock and then has a place at both ends for padlocks as well.

I used this Saturday in the trailer at a clinic and it worked very well. Very happy with it! I'd like to pick up a couple more of these for the tack room...

I have one to store horse blankets in. If I fold them in half length-wise and then roll them up like a sleeping bag, I can fit 6 heavyweight blankets + a few misc coolers + extra leg straps. I'm thinking about getting another for tack stuff so I can throw a saddle in there for shows. Right now I have a smaller rubbermaid one from Wal-mart that has lasted me for years, but I can't fit my saddle in there.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I have this one, but I got it at HD and I think it was about $80... I've had it for 5 years... still in perfect shape

http://www.drillspot.com/products/43...ile_tool_chest
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I have truly loved my Stanley trunk, wheels, pull out handle, etc. But, it sits outside my horse's stall and the flip clasps on the front are rusting rapidly. That and they are all keyed alike are the only downsides.
    And nothing bad happened!