The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Fork HT

I was reading the omnibus about The Fork- which seems to be a destination event.

I am entered to go, but it said in the omnibus that there is designated trailer parking- which leads me to ask, is it like Chatt hills parking where it is quite a distance from the stables? Is it a good idea to have a golf cart rented or is it doable without a golf cart/ atv?

How are the courses for the ht (non FEI classes)?

Is there a lot to do (so non horsey people won't get bored?)

TIA

The trailer parking is quite close to the stables. BUT, the stables are a looong way from the dressage rings, which are a loooong way from XC. If you don't have either a bike or a golf cart, you'll need new shoes by the end of the weekend.
    Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. -- Oscar Wilde
    Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield, today I think you were both -- Jack LeGoff

They used to run a shuttle system that worked pretty well, but don't know if they still do. It's about a mile hike uphill to the xc, so you'd better plan your times wisely.

As for other things to do, well, there isn't. Norwood is in the middle of nowheresville, so non-horsey SOs will be probably bored out of their minds.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Courses are fairly challenging, good last run before moving up type.

Jennifer

I used to volunteer at the Fork and everything is miles apart. I'd bring your bike! Or I guess your golf cart if that's what you have. There is nothing else in Norwood or the surrounding area, so bring your uninterested person some very good books or phone games or puppets to play with or a scavenger hunt or something. Maybe you can entertain them by asking them to take pictures of everything they see for two days?

I think we need a COTH meet-up!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

My horse is entered in the 3* and I am the SJ steward this year. I do not know HOW I got conned into that one!

You definitely need wheels of some sort! Not sure if they will have all their "country life" demos - in years past they have featured falconry and other such pursuits as well as the horse competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I used to volunteer at the Fork and everything is miles apart. I'd bring your bike! Or I guess your golf cart if that's what you have. There is nothing else in Norwood or the surrounding area, so bring your uninterested person some very good books or phone games or puppets to play with or a scavenger hunt or something. Maybe you can entertain them by asking them to take pictures of everything they see for two days?
    HAHAHA puppets?!? this made me chuckle

I'm going, with husband and kids in tow...we secured a campsite at Norwood, so fortunately on Friday Dressage they will hang out at the camp site and play in the woods, while I head over to The Fork and play with horses! How is the terrain for mountain bikes? Our kids are 8 and 12, but not the most rugged bikers. Was thinking of hooking up the daughters tag-a-long to Dad's bike, that way we won't have whiny exhausted kids dragging along on foot on XC day.

Also, are leashed dogs permitted? I saw on The Fork HT website that they plan to have pony rides, face painting, Terrier Races, and an Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday (from what I understand, almost EVERYONE is bringing their kids, as it is Spring Break for most elementary schools). This will be my first time going to The Fork, very excited, as I've been told it is a great venue!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

[QUOTE=pegasusmom;6206856]My horse is entered in the 3* and I am the SJ steward this year. I do not know HOW I got conned into that one!

LOL: Bill is such the charmer! I will be there too volunteering-I think XC warm up!

Default I'll be there too!

Hi, I am excited to be volunteering at The Fork. I am currently horseless (recuperating from losing the horse of my heart, sigh) but am thrilled to be supporting Eventing.

Bill is QUITE the charmer, lol...