The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Anhidrosis

My horse stopped sweating last year and my vet diagnosed him with Anhidrosis. Before I ask my question I want to let everyone know what I am currently doing to help him and to let everyone know that what I am doing i working and he is sweating and I am not looking to change any of that.

My horse gets OneAC at the recommended dose (it is in SmarkPaks so I don't remember what it is), electrolytes and 2 oz of salt each day. He has water available to him in turnout and in his stall at all times. He has trees in his pasture and paddock to get protection from the sun. I try to ride at the coolest part of the day and I spray him down after a ride with cool water and sometime before and I use rubbing alcohol on him if needed to help him cool down faster. He does not have a fan in his stall because my BO is very into fire safety (which I am not complaining about!) and since stall fans can be a fire hazard he does not allow them but there are large industrial fans in the isles that blow air around and because the ceiling of the barn is insulated it really helps keep the barn cooler then the outside. Also the barn is very airy in general.

Sorry that was long. Now on to my question. Besides what I have listed above, what else do you do to help your horse with Anhidrosis?

P.S.-I have heard about the beer and I am not interested in that . Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Powdered ginger, 1T three times a day, helps my mare a little bit. One AC did nothing. Neither did beer. The SP electrolytes seemed to help a little, in about a triple dose. Plain salt or lite salt did nothing.

Beet pulp made my mare stop sweating initially, so consider removing that from the diet. It worked the first summer, but the second summer she was getting no beet pulp and still stopped. Many bagged feeds have beet pulp too.

Ginger seems to help my horses sweat better.

Ginger, electrolytes, remove the beet pulp from the diet (watch your feed - many feeds are made FROM beet pulp), and keep them cool during the day. If you can keep them from heat stress it will help. But really, many times nothing helps. I fought it for two years before I finally gave up and sent my gelding to Colorado. He's fine now.

I agree with the others, you're doing everything right. Anhidrosis is a tricky problem and takes some experimentation to figure out what, if anything, works for your horse. My pony dealt with it for several years, and it turned out to be a symptom of Cushing's, not sweating enough instead of sweating too much, his whole hormonal system was out of whack. He's been on Pergolide for almost a year now and is sweating GREAT, knock on wood he will keep going throughout the summer! But at one point last year I had to double his dose of OneAC to keep him going. You just have to try everything!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I would like to add acupuncture to the list. My guy stopped sweating one summer because he exhausted his parasympathetic system (?). I think that is the right one. I had him on all the things you are doing, but he really did not start sweating well until he had a couple of acupuncture treatments. Last year and so far this year, he is sweating (knocking on wood as I type). Oh--and Guiness Beer....not sure if it helped, but he loved it and occasionally he would share with me.

Thank you all for your responses! I think I will try the ginger as that seems to have worked for a few of you and I will remove the beet pulp from his diet completly. I checked checked all of the ingredients in all of the food he is getting and nothing else contains beet pulb. Thank you everyone!

I rely completely on Summer Games. Nothing (Sweat Again, Perspirade, One AC or True Sweat) can even come close to getting them to sweat again. Also, Ask your vet to pull a T3/T4. I had a very, very bad non sweater that was a low normal and responded within a month of Thyro L

Night turnout and a stall fan is what keeps my guy comfortable.
    (buy a fan that won't be a fire hazard)
    http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home
    ... _. ._ .._. .._