The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Introducing Pixel -- our new rescue!

So I've posted a few times about my dog hunt. We had narrowed it down to 2 at a shelter and opted to go with an adorable young (estimated 10 months) female who had some people-socializing fears. Well we picked her up Friday after work and spent the weekend with her and so far we are SO pleased with her progress!

She was pretty shell-shocked by the transition, quite understandably, but lucky her curious nature is helping her overcome these fears. She likes to be in the same room as us, and will make eye contact from a distance, but still finds us directly approaching her a bit overwhelming. If we ignore her she'll come and sniff and stand for a few scritches but if you look at her and walk towards her she shies away. So we're taking things slowly.

She LOVES walks, which is fabulous for bonding, and so far has great leash manners. We walk her on the lunge line, keeping it short when we're near roads but letting her have the full length of it once we're in the park. I'm trying to teach her off-leash manners while maintaining leash control for "enforcement". So far so good (although I don't ask for true recall yet where she comes directly to me, instead just has to resume walking with me -- baby steps).

She scared us a bit in the beginning because she didn't pee or poop for over 24 hours But she finally found the urge and does all her business outside! we're only 3 days in but so far we're accident free!

So far we're thrilled! She seems to really want to engage with us but at the last second chickens out, but I think given the improvement we've seen in only 3 days that she'll turn into a wonderful pet as long as we're patient and let her come out of her shell at her own pace.

Not too many pictures online yet, but here's one from our first adventure to the park!

2 members found this post helpful.

She sounds wonderful! I'm sure she'll realize soon that she's in her forever home, and will come out of her shell.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful, very exotic looking... a field spaniel mix ? Enjoy and she's still a puppy and will soon be playing!

She's adorable!

Congrats, OP. I think you are well on your way to having a wonderful, well-adjusted, perfect dog. YAY!!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.