The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog tricks?

So, our Toy Aussie has done basic obedience and is on Intermediate Obedience.... Knows voice and signal Sit, Stay, Down, Stand, Touch (target), Come, Get It (ball, frisbee, toy), pretty good on Right and Left, Heel, Leave It, Drop It.... Planning on doing agility. But hubby wants to teach her some tricks too.... So far we've got 'roll over' pretty good, working on 'shake' and 'up' (jumping up on a target body area so you can catch her).

What else?

Jennifer

Good basic level tricks (that are crowd pleasers!) are spin, weave between the legs, bow, dance (stand on hind legs and turn in a circle), sit pretty, bad dog/look ashamed (put paw over nose), get round (circle around your legs) and play dead.

Slightly more complicated but still easy to teach tricks are opening/closing doors, putting away toys, backwards heeling, sneeze on command, and leap (4 legs straight off the ground).
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Oh those all sound so fun! Benny just finished his beginner obedience course tonight (hat,tassle,diploma and all!) and starts intermediate next week and I've been looking for some as well! How are you working on "up"? My boyfriend is dying to get my pup to jump into his arms but I don't even know where to start without confusing him (since he isn't allowed to "jump" on people when greeting etc...)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dog(mini aussie) does all the basic commands sit, down, stand, and stay with verbal and hand signals. She does shake and high five, is learning bow. I am also trying to teach her bye-bye(wave goodbye). Another trick you can teach is stop or no. You send them to retrieve a piece of food or a toy and stop them with verbal command. Also hold can be a good command as you can have them hold a basket or other item to make the trick cuter. Saying your prayers is cute too. The dog puts its front paws over your arm and tucks it's head down between it's front legs and your arm. Jumping thru a hoola hoop is cute. One of the ladies in the therapy group I work with has taught her Papillon how to play a toy piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter88 View Post
    Oh those all sound so fun! Benny just finished his beginner obedience course tonight (hat,tassle,diploma and all!) and starts intermediate next week and I've been looking for some as well! How are you working on "up"? My boyfriend is dying to get my pup to jump into his arms but I don't even know where to start without confusing him (since he isn't allowed to "jump" on people when greeting etc...)

I taught dexter to jump into my lap while I was siting in a chair. Over time I sat on more and more pillows so that he had to jump higher for my lap. I then graduated to no chair but bending slightly so that he had a clear space to go. Now I can put one leg out about 6 inches in front of the other and bend my knee a touch and he pats off my leg and into my arms. I am keeping the leg cue so he doesn't randomly throw himself at my face but i know plenty of people who remove the knee cue and have the dog vault straight up into their arms.

1 members found this post helpful.

Dont forget "Speak", "Speak Soft" (like a lip synch bark), play dead ("Bang!"), crawl, and something with scent discrimination is always a crowd pleaser. Don't know if your dog could reach, but I taught a wolfhound to turn on a wall light switch. Sometimes you can chain some tricks together to make a little story or act.

If possible, I've trained my past dogs to "clean up." Go pick up all their toys and chews and drop in their storage basket. Fun trick to teach, convenient for the human too, LOL! Also to get each toy by name...helps to extend their "vocabulary". They've also been trained to eliminate on command...or try to. Lots of cheering with "Good Pee!" and "Good Poo!" when they do go. Morphs decently into commands.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Forgot to add- keep in mind the behavior you DO NOT WANT in your dog, and be very careful training any tricks that touch in that off limits zone. For example, my dog is not allowed to put his paws on me in any way, shape or form. However, he does know shake, high five, pray, 'up up' on my lap and a couple other on the body tricks. The key is, he is NEVER rewarded for offering these behaviors on his own. My signals are very clear, unmistakeable, and not confused with other verbal or hand signals. We practice these commands mostly as a control exercise, asking him to start and stop the behavior on command, or purposely giving an unclear signal and NOT rewarding if he does the trick to the unclear signal.

Another example is any noise trick. I absolutely can't stand a dog that barks,whines, howls etc for no good reason. So for years I've avoided any vocal commands. Recently I've been starting to teach several (speak, shhhhhhhh (silent barking), tell me (grumbling), and hoooowwwlllll). Same rules apply as for the above tricks and in addition, these are ONLY practiced in training sessions specifically targeted towards noise commands. I use only positive training (clicker) with him, but any noise outside of these training sessions gets a quick 'aha'.

Of course, this warning isn't important if you aren't a huge control freak like me and just want a few fun tricks to show off
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I taught dexter to jump into my lap while I was siting in a chair. Over time I sat on more and more pillows so that he had to jump higher for my lap. I then graduated to no chair but bending slightly so that he had a clear space to go. Now I can put one leg out about 6 inches in front of the other and bend my knee a touch and he pats off my leg and into my arms. I am keeping the leg cue so he doesn't randomly throw himself at my face but i know plenty of people who remove the knee cue and have the dog vault straight up into their arms.
    That's how we do it, too. With the first poodley, I used the couch, then sitting on the armrest, then a barstool. Unexpectedly, Scuba didn't quite get it when I moved from the stool to standing right next to it, and when I patted my thighs and said, 'leap!' he leaped onto the stool, which toppled, and sent him flying. Ahem.... It's not funny, but i am laughing in recollection...
    After that inadvertent poodle launch, we had to start over with some confidence building
    With the second one, the schnoodle, she learned it pretty much the same way, but without soaring off furniture. However, we do have to keep the cue of slightly bent knees and a double-pat because if given any inkling that she might be given the leap command she WILL rocket into the air towards your stomach. We don't catch her those times, which does seem to get her attention that it has to be expressly cued first!

In addition to the regular tricks and the ones mentioned already, practice doing them with more distance between you and the dog. For some reason, that was difficult for our golden mix, who has the largest vocabulary, to get. You'd tell her off (back up at least three steps) and she would, then you'd say Sit and she'd rush right to your toes and sit. Now she's got all of them down, and it's fun to watch MrB cue her to roll over from across the room
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."