The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just when I thought I'd seen it all

The small, historical town of Washington, AR holds its annual Jonquil Festival this weekend. Part of the festivities is a trail ride from Texarkana to Washington. The riders and wagons meet on the parking lot of the local Electric Cowboy and head out for a two day ride. There are a variety of wagons, mostly homemade, some very nice and elaborate, others pretty crude. But the darnedest one was made from a converted golf cart. The guy had attached shafts to the golf cart and it was pulled by a large pony that looked to be a haflinger cross.

I was kind of concerned about some of the horses and mules. There were a few that looked like they had had a hard winter and could use a few groceries. Others were still sporting their winter coats and were sweating hard in the unseasonably warm weather we've been having.

I've always wanted to go on this ride or at least part of it but my horse needs shoes for a trip of this length, much of it on pavement plus he's ~25 and I haven't had time to condition him. I don't think it would be a good idea just to jerk him out of the pasture and take him for a 50 mile ride even if it is spread out over 2 days.

Every year several trail rides converge in Houston for the Livestock show and Rodeo parade. It's a HUGE DEAL and an honor to ride with the trail rides. Many local riders will join up with the ride for the last leg of the ride into town and the parade. You might try that or if there is a local group that rides in the parade you might ask to join them. As for shoes, many do fine without or in just boots.
    http://www.rodeohouston.com/events/t...des/index.aspx

Longest trail ride is actually 386 miles from Hidalgo, TX.
    Shortest is the Sam Houston which is a mere 70 miles.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.