The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scar Tissue?

I have a horse that was involved in a terrible accident. I won't get into the details, but now he has scar tissue just below his hock area. This was confirmed by an ultrasound. He isn't lame, but he is definitely not quite right. I believe he may either have a limited range of motion OR the scar tissue is bothering him. Is there anything I can do to help remove scar tissue?

Default Scar Tissue

So sorry to hear about your horse. We have a horse in our Rehab that has had a very similar hock injury. The scar tissue on our mare was about the size of a grape fruit, it was both inside and out.
    We here at M.A.E.R.C. have had amazing results using LLLT. Laser therapy used on injuries and scar tissue stimulates cellular regeneration, so in essence it breaks down the bad cells and regenerates the good ones.

Our mare is just about finished with her therapies, her hock almost looks normal, and she has full range of motion.

If you like further info check out our site and contact us you have any questions.

Thanks

www.midatlanticequinerehabcenter.com
    Last edited by ERC; Mar. 18, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Well, scar tissue in and of itself can cause a decrease in range of motion. There are various therapies, as mentioned, to help break it up, but it also depends on the nature of the tissue. Injured tendons by default heal with scar tissue, so you can't truly break that up But healing can also cause adhesions which CAN be broken up.

Even simple massage work, done correctly, can help.