The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FEI YOUNG RIDER LEASE

Has anyone had any experience with leasing an FEI horse to make a young rider team? What would be a fair lease price for a Grand Prix horse to be leased to a young rider for a year in order to represent their country? Thoughts?

I had a lease for the last year I did YR's. Canadian owner, US rider - so an international lease. Minimal fee (like $1) as the owner wanted the horse campaigned to be sold and did not have the personal miles at FEI to do so. At the NAYRC she showed up with her trainer and tried to confiscate the horse - claimed I was 'stealing' him. The CEF president got involved, the USEF folks were involved...security...you name it. Total disaster of a competition and experience as a rider.

Get everything in writing.

And I do mean EVERYTHING - from the amount of the lease fee to the date it starts/ends with a time included, who gets prizes/ribbons, any/all liability insurance, each piece of tack (bridle, bit, saddle, girth, spur) that can be used or what can not be used. Who pays entries, who pays for the vet. Get a full PPE done prior to taking on the horse (protect yourself)....get someone who is paranoid/hypersensitive to all that can go wrong with a horse to go over the contract. Even the most friendly/normal seeming person can go off the deep end when 'their' horse is successful with another rider...

Make sure the horse's passport is current.

And yeah - it definitely impacted my perception of riding for another person besides my parents.

OP - the low end for leases is from a "free lease" where you only pay the horse's operating expenses - board, feed, farrier, most vet bills, etc during the time you have the horse.

The high end would be somewhere approximating 1/3 of the value of the horse IN ADDITION to the above operating expenses. So if the horse was thought to be worth $36,000, you would be charged $12,000 annually or $1000/month. If it was a $60,000 horse, $20,000 for a year, or almost $1700 pr month.
    The high end numbers are very common in the hunter/jumper disciplines, as leasing is done quite often. In the dressage world, hard to say, and its likely to be very individualized.

TASKER - OMG, I feel so sorry for you to have been through what sounds like an unbelievable mess. What a horrible thing for someone to do to a YR, it is such hard work to get that far.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Tasker, not all leasers are like that, and it's a shame that the person that you leased the horse from has to act like that, since that behavior tends to ruin future opportunities for other owners and riders. I do agree with your suggestions to put all details down in writing.

You would think that s/he would have been happy for your success on her horse!

Ditto what Tasker says-especially the part about finding the biggest, most paranoid worrier you know to think up all the "what-ifs" to be sure you've covered your bases. Chances are the horse owner will be wonderful, but better safe than sued!

Ah thanks for the sympathy & thoughts guys...it is so far in the past - just taught me a very, very valuable lesson! For better or worse, I'd rather not have a horse pulled out from under me... Easier to bring them along within the family than to go through all that drama again. Life's too short for unpleasantness and hateful behavior!

In any case, from the shakedown that I went through in '96 - according to the USEF official who was our 'representative' during all the BN pow-wows - that sort of dust up is extremely common - like 2-3 riders per year at the NAYRC were going through it every year between all the disciplines...so when I say dot your i's and cross your t's in a hard & fast contract with legal consultation - do it!!! A phone call to the USEF might not be a bad idea - they might be able to point you towards the forms that you would need for an inter/national lease. The paperwork we signed was at Festival and had officials from Canada & the US sign off on it as well as the show TD and there was something added into the horse's passport as well (I think).

As for a fee - the amount will depend entirely on what the other party (owner) is asking or expecting.

Anything from 'cover some of his expenses' for a YR who is essentially a pro and would otherwise be charging money to ride the horse- to 1/3 of value plus all expenses.

I dont know if USEF has anything like this but I do know that Equine Canada does have paperwork and a small fee to "register" a lease. I suppose this would take care of some potential issues, as well as perhaps memberships ect might not be need by the horse's owner only the leaser??

Leases must be registered with both USEF and USDF. And yes, the lessee then becomes the "owner" in terms of entry signatures and memberships required.

Both are just recordings of leases for show entry purposes, though, and do not specify terms nor offer any sort of protection for lessor or lessee as far as the lease itself.