The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you can catch him, you can have him!

http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

He is cute, and you can't beat "free". Though my bet is, if he's in with a couple mares, they're already in the family way!

Can I also say.......HOLY MONKEYS!!!!! HOW DUMB ARE THESE PEOPLE??????? Couldn't you catch him, or the mares with a bucket of grsin, just to separate them???????/?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Okay. If he comes to the name Champ, why can't they catch him?

They sound like people I'd run away from too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I like this line:

"Roxy and Sneik are both wonderful horses and are very friendly... we would just like to work with them a little more and get halters on them sometime very soon!"

Yes, yes, please do get halters on your horses soon so you can actually touch them.

I never cease to be amazed at the horse world.

Hmmm. People have been known to geld stallions which resolves the baby-making problem.... I wonder if that has ever occurred to them? But I guess it's easier to have someone else come, catch the horse and take said horse away. Won't cost anything and solves the inbred-foal problem.

Gah.

I don't think they can catch any of the horses. So catching him to geld him is probably out of the question.

Love the barbed wire fence. And all the random crap in the pasture. Way to go, Champ-owners.

*head desk*
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Doesn't look like he'd be that hard to catch since he comes up to the fence to pose for photos.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Doesn't look like he'd be that hard to catch since he comes up to the fence to pose for photos.
    Yeah, but do you REALLY want to be on the end of the lead when he feels restraint for the first time in his life?? Feral horses have been known to be QUITE exciting when they get haltered or even have the FEEL of a rope on them. He might even come after you, stallion defending his territory.

Sounds like a feral horse to me, though he gets along well with his people neighbors.

Of course if you ever got him broke, he would probably take VERY good care of you in the saddle. He KNOWS how to survive and appears to be unscarred from the experience of his pasture junk. He is a survivor, and it is good to be able to ride one who thinks that way over rough ground.

I suggest a tranq gun.

Oh for heaven's sake. Dart him, throw him down and cut them off !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Oh for heaven's sake. Dart him, throw him down and cut them off !

He would make an adorable gelding.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." A. Einstein...

(sigh)....

aside from the-already-mentioned obviously wonderful aspects of the situation, if they are saying they can't work with the other horses until good ol' champ leaves, does that mean he's like, attacking them or something when they come in the pasture???

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    aside from the-already-mentioned obviously wonderful aspects of the situation, if they are saying they can't work with the other horses until good ol' champ leaves, does that mean he's like, attacking them or something when they come in the pasture???
    It does beg the question...

Poor ponies. Goodness.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Yeah, but do you REALLY want to be on the end of the lead when he feels restraint for the first time in his life?? Feral horses have been known to be QUITE exciting when they get haltered or even have the FEEL of a rope on them. He might even come after you, stallion defending his territory.

Sounds like a feral horse to me, though he gets along well with his people neighbors.

Of course if you ever got him broke, he would probably take VERY good care of you in the saddle. He KNOWS how to survive and appears to be unscarred from the experience of his pasture junk. He is a survivor, and it is good to be able to ride one who thinks that way over rough ground.
    It would depend on circumstances beyond what one can gather from a few photos. I have caught local "feral" horses who lived out in a 100 acre pasture for years, as a herd, complete with stallion. Not my mess, but it needed cleaned up. Owners health was failing when I learned about the situation.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    It would depend on circumstances beyond what one can gather from a few photos. I have caught local "feral" horses who lived out in a 100 acre pasture for years, as a herd, complete with stallion. Not my mess, but it needed cleaned up. Owners health was failing when I learned about the situation.
    VCT, Glad to hear you could provide such a service to a person who needed the help. Pretty nice of you to do that.

My point on holding the end of the lead, was that many folks who think a horse who "comes up to the fence" are SERIOUSLY deluded about their kindly nature. Could be the stallion is a big baby to an experienced horse person. Or NOT. You as a stranger, should not go walking into the situation and expect fairy tale results, because you are then UNPREPARED for a horse who is going to eat you for lunch!

Sounds like VCT could manage such a situation. Listening to others on here going crazy to "get him gelded at all costs", some who figure he "has a nice face", that would be caught by surprise by a horse who is not used to being handled. Situation could be a big nothing or a fight.

No one should presume to KNOW a horse by looking at a couple of his photos, then figure they can halter him and lead him off. Sheesh!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    VCT, Glad to hear you could provide such a service to a person who needed the help. Pretty nice of you to do that.

My point on holding the end of the lead, was that many folks who think a horse who "comes up to the fence" are SERIOUSLY deluded about their kindly nature. Could be the stallion is a big baby to an experienced horse person. Or NOT. You as a stranger, should not go walking into the situation and expect fairy tale results, because you are then UNPREPARED for a horse who is going to eat you for lunch!

Sounds like VCT could manage such a situation. Listening to others on here going crazy to "get him gelded at all costs", some who figure he "has a nice face", that would be caught by surprise by a horse who is not used to being handled. Situation could be a big nothing or a fight.

No one should presume to KNOW a horse by looking at a couple of his photos, then figure they can halter him and lead him off. Sheesh!!
    Yep, you're right on that he might not be easy to handle just because he comes up to the fence. I posted based on the fleeting thought of, "Well, at least he'll get within 50 feet of humans... thats something to work with/ a place to start..." without actually thinking of how my comment could be interpreted by anyone who happened to read it.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com