The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My horse keeps developing "lumps", okay they are not JUST lumps

Horse: Otherwise useless 12 year old Thoroughbred. Has been treated for ulcers in the past, doing what we can to prevent re-occurance. Decent weight (Could use 25-35lbs and muscle)

1st bump: HUGE seroma on his right thigh, approx 9" across, 12" long, and stood off at least 3 inches, in some areas (bottom) more. I assume this was the result of trama, as his pasture buddies are all rowdy. Mild warm swelling over his digital extensor (front of cannon, below knee), and half of his tail is missing. Mind you, there is not any scruffed hair or marks on him-aside from the missing tail. Stall rest, bute, vet comes out to drain it and look at it. Stall rest is not this horse's friend, tried Vita Flex's Vision which has Tryptophan in it-does'nt seem to do much so I take him off of it on Tuesday. Vet comes out to look at another horse Tuesday and clears him for turn out.

2nd Bump: He did not go out Wednesday, as all of the paddocks were a muddy mess. When I get to the barn, he has a good size mass between his front legs over his sternum. He is walking like his legs are tied together. Probably close to 3 cups of fluid in there-its warm.
    Called the vet-he wants to look at his other lump anyway, so maybe Friday or Monday. Cold hose it, and bute.

3rd Bump: Today I am cold hosing his other bumps, and I go to wipe mud off of his croup and he flinches. I look again, and he has uniform swelling over his pelvis-not as extreme as the other two, but it is there. Again, not a hair out of place, just swelling. Mind you MAYBE I missed this while dealing with his other injuries, but I don't think so. Vet wants to pull blood first thing in the morning.

He is acting find, passing decent manure, eating and drinking normally.

He eats free choice grass hay, and 15lbs of a 15%alfalfa/grass mix. 1lbs per feeding of TC Senior and his Smartpaks. 5000 Mag, Redmond Salt, and a joint supp.

Any ideas? I was okay with the first bump, the second was odd, but the third is just kinda freaking me out a little.

Why wouldn't you assume all three were due to his pasture buddies?

And, don't discount Pigeon Fever? Google it if you're not familiar with the symptoms. It's also highly contagious. Good luck.

He was in when the 2nd one developed. The third sure could be his friends.
    But, why now? He has always been with a rowdy crowd, and NORMALLY all he has are a few skinned spots. 3 big Hematomas/Seromas in 10 days.

Has the vet been back?

My mare had bruised pecs and hematoma on her chest and she was in separate paddock She was sore! I never found what happened, I guessed she tried to jump out, but no evidence on the fence.

Would your guy jump?

Vet has been out again. All blood well within normal ranges. Vet perplexed, no good reason for this-not even a good bread crumb trail.

Yes he would try to jump out, but when his chest hematoma developed he had been on stall rest for 3 days.

Spring shots? Spider bite?

I'd be worried about pigeon fever as well.