The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Looking for my mare's dam...

This is probably a total long shot but I have to try... I have an 11 year old gray Prinz Gaylord mare, and I would like to have her approved for breeding, but without knowing her dam line at all I am very limited. The information that I do know about the dam is from the stallion service certificate. Apparently, she is a buckskin QH called Candy Bar; there were no registration numbers, and no other info. She would have been bred in 1999, for a 2000 foal... located in the SF bay area. I have searched all pedigree websites, etc. with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Do your best to try to hunt it down, but if you don't have any luck, I wouldn't worry about it too much since, with or without knowing the lineage, the mare would still only be eligible for a pre-mare book based on the fact that she is out of a Quarter Horse mother.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

My hope is that there is a TB or 2 in the mix on her dam side so she might be able to go into the ISR mare book, rather than the pre-mare. :/

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Try getting in touch with the AQHA. They keep comprehensive records, including ownership transfers. If you know the name of the mare's owner, you could ask them to check and see if she's registered with them.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Candy Bar was born in 1945, so presuming that that would not be your mare's dam (she was a palomino as well), do you have any other info at all.. her sire perhaps, or markings or anything?

I have no info about markings, sire, or anything of the sort. I will try calling the AQHA to see if they have anything on record for her. Thank you!