The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Niedersuss for a flat back? (Or others?)

Picture of my girl:
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...adyinBlue4.jpg

And believe it or not, I think she has even less wither now that she's put on weight. I dunno if she's going to pop up a shark-fin TB wither as she ages, but for now she's pretty flat!

My experience with saddles all has to do with fitting a wide, withered, huge-shouldered, scoopy-backed QH. This girl is clearly not that: she's a genuine narrow tree, and flat, and has minimal muscling to speak of. (Which will be changing, with proper work!) She has minimal hollows behind her shoulder, so that takes away that challenge too.

I'm looking at a Niedersuss Symphony right now, and have read threads on this board about them...everyone says they "fit everything" but is that really true? This one is an ebay special, so not returnable. I don't mind reselling it, just want to know if I should even bother.

Other suggestions for a saddle that tends to fit flatter, narrower horses? I will be searching for one used, so nothing over about $1000, please. I don't want to spend a ton on a growing three year old!

The Symphonie could be a good fit, BUT probably not if your horse is narrow, as they run wide. The medium fits like a smaller medium wide.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Fantastic, thank you!

The one I'm looking at has their "Normal" tree, their narrowest one...is that what you mean by medium?

I actually don't mind if it's a squidge wide. She's only 3, and done nothing but sit in a field since she came off the track last fall. I HOPE she muscles up a bit, cause she still looks like a baby!

But of course, if you're talking about their "normal" tree fitting more like a medium-wide, that is definitely too wide for a little creative/temporary padding to fix.

the normal is a narrower tree, the med is more like a med/wide, and wide is wide. The normal tree is def the one you want to be considering.

Just wanted to say I like your horse, and she looks very tall!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I actually don't mind if it's a squidge wide. She's only 3, and done nothing but sit in a field since she came off the track last fall.
    Have you had a saddle fitter out to assess her? this can help with determining if she's likely to stay narrowish or will go med to med-wide (no guarantees of course )

You might also consider bringing her back into shape with ground work, longeing, long lining etc for several weeks & then have the fitter out.

Also consider looking for one of those $150 saddles to fit her for the first 6 months or so & then buy the $1K saddle.

You might talk to Trumbull Mtn about their Thorowgoods

Quote Originally Posted by swgarasu View Post
    Just wanted to say I like your horse, and she looks very tall!
    Thank you! I happen to like her quite a bit too. The photographer was quite kind to her...she's really only about 16hands, and very petite and feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Have you had a saddle fitter out to assess her? this can help with determining if she's likely to stay narrowish or will go med to med-wide (no guarantees of course )

You might also consider bringing her back into shape with ground work, longeing, long lining etc for several weeks & then have the fitter out.

Also consider looking for one of those $150 saddles to fit her for the first 6 months or so & then buy the $1K saddle.

You might talk to Trumbull Mtn about their Thorowgoods
    I haven't had a saddle fitter out to assess, but have sent some tracings around to various shops. Fitting her front is not going to be a big issue, I feel (unlike my gelding who has huge, set back shoulders) but instead finding a saddle that doesn't rock on her is going to be the main issue.

She has been doing some stuff on the ground, and her shape definitely is changing a bit. (Besides just filling out.) I suspect that she will eventually end up a comfortable medium tree, but one trending towards the narrow side vs. the wide.

I have picked up a $300 Smith Worthington CC that is going down to the factory to be adjusted for her next week. The Niedersuss is only $350, and I've got a $250 Kieffer, a $300 Sommer, and a $200 County coming on trial. I'm a bargain hunter! I am perfectly fine with something well-used and cheap, but well-made. No need for anything shiny and new on a baby, just something that fits well and keeps her comfortable. The SW is adjustable as she grows, and Kieffers are too, although I don't know if they have a top limit on the number of adjustments.

I have picked up a $300 Smith Worthington CC that is going down to the factory to be adjusted for her next week. The Niedersuss is only $350, and I've got a $250 Kieffer, a $300 Sommer, and a $200 County coming on trial. I'm a bargain hunter! I am perfectly fine with something well-used and cheap, but well-made. No need for anything shiny and new on a baby, just something that fits well and keeps her comfortable. The SW is adjustable as she grows, and Kieffers are too, although I don't know if they have a top limit on the number of adjustments.
    These all sound like the perfect saddles for a 3yr old
    Kieffers & Prestige (& the Wintecs etc) all recommend "limited" tree adjustments (gullet changes) especially if you go from extremes of narrow to wide: it does stress the tree & at some point the adjustment may not hold or tree may crack/break ...

At this stage, I'd accept a limited amount of "rock" as long as I can correct it with a shimmable saddle fitters pad - I tend to not like the "wedge" versions as they often move during the ride.

The newest model Wintec Pro Dressage works well on straight-backed horses.

Beward of thinking she will get wider as she ages. I have an almost 6-yo who has gone from XW at 2.5 to M right now as he sprouted withers. By 4-yo has narrowed too as she has sprouted withers. She might widen later if her chest ends up like her mom's, but she might not either. She could still grow more wither.

I would avoid Wintec though. Even though they might fit, the trees are prone to cracking, and good luck getting the company to care.