The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Plus sized horses UNITE!

Irish Draught here. M'Lord has just arrived and needs a bridle. I know that the Vespucci has some oversized bridles that are oversized but many of the makes have x-large not true oversized. I have two IDs in Vespucci, probably a raised dressage w/ flash, and know of one other ID that bridle has fit but I just bought another and though it is a Vespucci it is not the same oversized oversize. Fortunately I had a slightly smaller headed ID mare it DID fit but I don't want to waste time and hastle returning too small oversized bridles so if you share my experience and know of makes that really are oversized please share. I also need some leather halters $60 and less for the handsome heads of my Irish Draughts. Oh and a source for 6"+ bits as well. I would love a KK but would be happy with 2 joints and a loose ring snaffle. I sell my IDs with their halters and bridles so I get caught short now and again. Thanks PatO

I've had these guys bookmarked for a while. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I've asked around and people had good things to say about much of their stuff (not all - the cheapo saddles, for example).

http://drafthorsesaddle.com/index.ph...c0737bdec1d626

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have been blessed with some horses with LARGE noggins I have had great success with my oversize Edgewood and Mortack Imperial Bridle (ADT). The Mortack bridle I have is, what I *think* might be, a horse size and it is VERY large (like a normal oversize). I cannot speak about ADT dressage bridles but I would imagine the sizing would be similar. I also have a Five Star Tack bridle (Piccadilly) and was able to custom order an oversize noseband with a horse size headstall. They make dressage bridles too. I would highly recommend them- super accommodating to work with and very nice craftsmanship.

I have a 17.3hh swedish wb cross - the only bridles I have found that fit are the stubbens oversized.

Halters are another issue. We actually had Quillans make a custom halter for him - oversized was too small and the draft just did not fit right.

Pat, The folks at Big Black Horse can certainly help with
    the bits and they are not far from you, New Prague, MN.
    They may have suggestions on halters and bridles, worth
    checking. I wonder if Bartville would make bridles to
    your measure for a reasonable price?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

My 17.3 Percheron has a HUGE head too. Bobby's Bridle fits great with room to spare.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.