The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Well I think I found a horse...

After a frustrating search, I think I found a horse i want to get a PPE on.

But it has never shown dressage, just rail classes, so not really what I set out to purchase.

It was shown in a dressage legal bit though, with a dressage type frame, and decent gaits.

More to the point, it is in a price range that my DH may find acceptable, and that has a "look" my coach finds warmblood enough to not be an uphill battle (she really doesn't see a point buying a non-warmblood for dressage and so struggles with the arabs and part arabs I am looking at...but we have a decent arab show circuit here, so it kind of makes sense).

This way I can work towards my breed show judges card and perhaps my dressage one.

I am just worried I don't have enough time left to move up the levels...but at the same time this one has good basics so should be able to progress ahead of my filly....and maybe it IS better to train my own rather than buy ready made.

That's great! Is it the cutie from WA?

Question trainer?

Do you have a good instructor / trainer who, has trained horses and riders from green broke through 2nd level?

I would check leg yield, turns on forehand/ haunches; also counter counter.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    After a frustrating search, I think I found a horse i want to get a PPE on.

But it has never shown dressage, just rail classes, so not really what I set out to purchase.
    Congratulations

but

are you certain that this is not just frustration leading you to settling?

Given this statement
    enough time left to move up the levels...
    why start with any project that is not at least proficient at 2nd level (I believe you wanted 3rd or 4th originally).

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Congratulations

but

are you certain that this is not just frustration leading you to settling?

Given this statement why start with any project that is not at least proficient at 2nd level (I believe you wanted 3rd or 4th originally).
    Yes, this is a concern of mine...but DH doesn't want to spend much, and won't go for a horse that won't pass the PPE (which seems to be a common trend on the horse's in his budget), so I have to adjust elsewhere.

I am used to taking a chance on a horse that won't pass a PPE and didn't really think twice about it, but he has a point.

The horses I have found in my price range that are 2nd level or higher either: won't pass the PPE, have huge training holes, or are used to lots of contact, which I just can't do anymore.

Thinking a horse with good basics, and some show experience should be able to move up the levels and be able to adapt to my limitations perhaps more so than a horse used to a strong rider? I really don't want a horse i have to take back a few levels and fix holes...I have done that with the the mares I was showing previously, and it just seems more frustrating all around.

But...I totally get what you are saying, and I do worry that is part of my motivation.

[QUOTE=Carol Ames;6194973]Do you have a good instructor / trainer who, has trained horses and riders from green broke through 2nd level?

QUOTE]

Yes, I have a coach that has trained horses to upper levels both in NA and Europe, and is a EC level 3 coach. She comes here every second month to teach (clinic style).

She is really set on warmbloods being THE breed for dressage, so finding a non-warmblood she likes was good.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerHorse View Post
    That's great! Is it the cutie from WA?
    No, coach didn't think he would suite me (too small, too arab) and thought it would be a battle to get decent scores at non-breed shows. This one is out East.

I actually think the horse you're considering is a good choice. It has the basics, is sound and has a good mind (I'm guessing). A horse like that can move up much quicker than one you have to go back in training on. jmho

I want to see this one!

Congrats on hopefully having found The Horse, and good luck on the PPE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

May I ask what your price range is and what you are looking for ideally? Pm me if you want. I think you have more options than you think.

Well, this horse passed the vet! Some very minor things, but flexions, hoof testers, neuro test, and back soundness all great. Just waiting on Coggins/blood work, but I really don't think that will be an issue.

Now to see if we can get the health papers done in time for the next trailer which leaves Friday (next week).

Odd thing though...vet doesn't take credit cards, so not sure how to pay her...unless owner pays her and I pay the owner the extra....but does that sound scammish to propose?

Once she gets here I can find out if Rugbygirl is stil looking for someone to make use of her Arabian costume...

Will the vet take a certified cheque or money order/transfer?

Well, this horse passed the vet!
    Excellent news

So exciting!!!

Where out east is he/she coming from? I've moved about a fair bit out there, may know who you're talking about.
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Congrats! Great news - and she looks like a real cutie, so I'm looking forward to more updates from you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NSRider View Post
    Where out east is he/she coming from? I've moved about a fair bit out there, may know who you're talking about.
    Middle of nowhere New York (aka Belmont...but not the race track).

Alto, oddly, the vet seems very unconcerned about payment. Won't have a total for me until next week. I am hoping I can do a cashiers cheque and just mail it out and that the owner won't want to wait to release the horse until the vet is paid.

Congratulations, horse hunting can wear you down, but sounds like you found a good one. Regarding paying the vet, why not just overnight the check so there's no question or reason to hold up shipping.

CHT - when you said "out east", you sure weren't kidding...Could you have found one any further away???

Don't know why things work like this; I had the same thing happen two years ago - looked all over Florida and then went to California and bought a horse!

Good luck w/ your newbie and I hope she works out well for you.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

why not just mail the vet a check once they send you a bill? That is fairly standard in my experience anyway.

And good luck with the new horse What matters in dressage is a rider and trainer who believe 100% in the horse. And a horse who is sound and who is willing to work hard with you.

All the rest is fluff - altho, the more difficult the confo the better the rider needs to be

pics please!

Fortunately she is right on the hauling route for the TB's coming up from Kentucky, so not too bad for hauling. Coggins came back negative today, so will be sending payment tomorrow and hopefully getting her on a trailer Friday if they still have a box stall available on the trailer.

Hoping we can get the health papers done in time so I don't have to pay extra at the border.

I am silly excited and can't wait to finally meet her. It seems right to buy a horse that is trained and safe, but that I will still be working up through the levels myself (with help of course). On the downside her tail was chewed off so I am buying an arab cross with a hock length tail.

The vet doesn't seem worried about payment, so I guess I will just wait for the bill.

This time next week she should be arriving!