The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First Recognized Event

Alright all you Area II experts, I need your insight. Hopefully this fall (barring injury, accident or appcolypse) I will be taking my OTTB to her first recognized event at the BN level.

I am in Area II, and wanted to know what everyone thought from their experience was the best HT to introduce a horse and rider to their first recognized event?

I'm trying to stay in the VA/MD and maybe NC area, so keep that in mind. Gas for the horse hauling truck and all being a big factor.

VA-VA Horse Trials-love the Horse Center-my trainer always has students going.

NC-maybe Lumber River or Longleaf-however I can never remember which one maxes out the height on the fences.

If travelling down to NC-see if you can ride share to save on gas!

Good Luck!

Longleaf is in April at the Carolina Horse Park and should be fairly soft. Lumber River is in the fall and was a pretty maxed out course last year.

If you wanted to come to the CHP (which is a great venue!) you might consider doing one of the schooling trials there in the summer then do BN there in the fall. You would be pretty well prepared if you did that. Good luck!

Maryland Horse Trials at Loch Moy was my horses first recognized and is very well run. VHT was also well run although I was heavily warned about the spookiness of stadium in the coliseum.

VA horse trials is great! I love the course and it was pretty good even in the heavy rain a few years ago. The indoor stadium can be daunting to some horses, but others are not bothered. Depends on what you have. I was at VA horse trials around halloween. Some dressage judges dressed up and my horse was a bit nervous when trotting down center line to see the judge with a witches hat. Fun times.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Lumber River is in June and used to be a pleasant course when I was the organizer. It has since gone unrecognized and I can't speak to the new course design.

The fall event is Five Points and it used to be a stiffer course.

Have you cross-country schooled at any venues that also hold recognized events? Some place like that would be my first choice.
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    VHT was also well run although I was heavily warned about the spookiness of stadium in the coliseum.
    At VAHT-they have the schooling jumper show the night before and I think its pretty cheap-you could enter that to acclimate your horse

VAHT also hosts schooling days and a HT the day after. CHP has xc schooling days.

If you are looking to school xc jumps and arent to far from the Horse Center-Caroline Atherholt at Red Fox Hill Farm in Eagle Rock has xc jumps of all levels and allows schooling.

I have not xc any place yet that has a recognized trial, but I am taking my mare to the VA Starter Trial next weekend. and The VA horse center seems like a good choice since we will have already competed there, but I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on some of the other area II events since I haven't been to any of them.

I have heard that Waredaca and Rubicon are very well run but probably not appropriate for first timers.

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    At VAHT-they have the schooling jumper show the night before and I think its pretty cheap-you could enter that to acclimate your horse

VAHT also hosts schooling days and a HT the day after. CHP has xc schooling days.

If you are looking to school xc jumps and arent to far from the Horse Center-Caroline Atherholt at Red Fox Hill Farm in Eagle Rock has xc jumps of all levels and allows schooling.

My mare is actually pretty good indoors, a couple of snorts, one hairy eyeball and then she gets to work. And I'm not too worried about xc either. It's the dressage that is our nemesis. I see formal dressage lessons in our future.