The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default JUST missed out on a saddle – So where can I find an affordable wool flocked saddle.

DARN IT!!! I have been searching high and low for a wool flocked CHEAP (under $800) saddle. I want a jumping saddle, with a medium deep seat, and some sort of blocks.

I thought I had found the PERFECT saddle…. A Courbette Stylist, wool flocked, I tried a friend’s stylist and it fit my horse well. Big Dee’s had one on sale for $699, but the add didn’t list the tree size.

http://www.bigdweb.com/STYLIST-CLOSE-CONTACT/

I email them, and they tell me it’s a 17.5. I email back.. no the width, 31cm, 32cm, 34cm? I get an email back “it’s a medium flex” … mmm no, this saddle doesn’t come in the flex tree, it’s the spring tree. I CALL this morning get a nice girl that goes to look for the saddle… can’t find it… because it is at the counter, someone else is buying it. AHHHH!!!! – really wish they answered my question on Monday when I asked – so bummed.

So I am really bummed out I missed out on a good deal. I have been searching the internet, and just can’t seem to find much in my price range. I want wool flocked, and would rather not go used.

Any suggestions as to where to look now?

Laundry list:

Generous medium tree
    Wool flocked
    Knee rolls – preferably knee blocks and small thigh blocks
    Medium deep seat

CHEAP! - would like to spend no more then $800

eBay is the best place, but you have to patient and know exactly what you want. A used saddle in good shape is just as good as buying new and you save a lot of money.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I also want to be able to return the saddle if it doesn't fit. I know some ebay sellers take returns... but many do not.

http://www.yoursaddles.com/#/175-i-z/4549802829

Scroll down to the Smith Worthington.

I am taking the Stackhouse on trial next week!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

classicsaddlery.com--closeout sale.

Thanks ProblemHorse... You are a super shopper! That is one to consider! I took a SW out on trial, but when it arrived it was XW not a M as advertised... they are nice saddles.

Good luck on the stackhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Thanks ProblemHorse... You are a super shopper! That is one to consider! I took a SW out on trial, but when it arrived it was XW not a M as advertised... they are nice saddles.

Good luck on the stackhouse!
    Keep in mind that for $90, you can send them to the factory in Hartford, CT with some tracings, and Smith Worthington will adjust the tree to fit your specific horse.

I've got an XW saddle coming to me in the mail; they said it'd be no issue whatsoever to take it down to a narrow for my 3yo TB, and widen it bit by bit as she grows and fills in.

I've had several SWs, and they're just great saddles. It's a shame that their "brand recognition" is low....actually no, it's not, cause I always get them for a steal on Ebay and other classifieds sites!

This one is on eBay now (not my listing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120875966953...84.m1438.l2649

I understand not wanting to buy without a return option, but you said you'd already tried a Stylist & it fit.

I love this saddle, but it will be too wide for my pony.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Keep in mind that for $90, you can send them to the factory in Hartford, CT with some tracings, and Smith Worthington will adjust the tree to fit your specific horse.

I've got an XW saddle coming to me in the mail; they said it'd be no issue whatsoever to take it down to a narrow for my 3yo TB, and widen it bit by bit as she grows and fills in.

I've had several SWs, and they're just great saddles. It's a shame that their "brand recognition" is low....actually no, it's not, cause I always get them for a steal on Ebay and other classifieds sites!
    Hmmm...Appsolute, are we competing for tack again???!!!

Let me know if you pass on it. I am putting off the trial for the Stackhouse because rain is forecast. Also, if you click on the pictures for the SW, it says 17 M, but it is a 17.5.

A helmet saved my life.

Default I think I found one - Collegiate Nobility

hahhah YES miss Problem Horse!!! – Looks like the rain is supposed to let up on Tuesday, hoping I will be trying a saddle by then!

You guys so cool! Thank you for looking!

I am kinda holding my breath for a new one. I would like my horse to break in the new flocking.

I think I found one though! I have been keeping an eye on Collegiate Nobilities... wool flocked, generous medium tree, medium deep seat, knee and thigh blocks.. and just found one on closeout with free shipping AND they will take a return.

I haven’t owned a new saddle in eons… yeee!

The price is right on the stylist, but my butt is too big and my thigh is too long for a 17".

As for the SW's they do seem like pretty awesome saddles, although the XW that arrived was HUGE just really really big, and I am pretty sure there were some rivets popped under the pommel, tree didn't seem quiet sound... looked like it had been used on a REALLY wide horse that had stretched it all out.

Okay, then I am going to try it! Next week, of course, if the footing dries out by that time...

A helmet saved my life.