The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Ok, just saw the Dover catalogue. Wow, I was amazed. Badly done, bright, and it just blew my mind all over again. Really who would have thought that people would not have noticed/looked it up on that photo?

Jeeze. Someone is getting fired.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Guess what picture is on page 151 of my new Dover catalog!?!!? (Reed Kessler is on the cover.)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post

I do think you have created a whole new "Where's Waldo" activity for equestrians. Now we can start looking for mistakes/falsehoods in advertising.

Added to my list of things to do when the weather gets bad .

1 members found this post helpful.

Had to laugh when I saw this thread because 14 years ago when we were in college my roommate (an H/J rider) and I got our Dover catalog in the mail. When flipping through it there was HER photo standing next to her horse at a horse show supposedly modeling a helmet. The photo was a candid the show photog took of her.

Thing was, the helmet she supposedly wearing according to the catalog was definitely not the one she owned nor was she wearing in the candid shot. It wasn't even one that Dover sold at the time.

We got a good laugh out of it, but it is kind of disingenuous that they do/did that sort of thing.

Did anyone see the current issue. I belive it is Ravel with the smbs and bells on. I guess I have seen him only in polos and the bells, but are these also photo shopped on? The rider they have at the top (cant recall her name) is an eventer and I dont she is wearing PC boots on her horse except for maybe the bells which are hard to see. So just wondering since the thread has been bumped.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Did anyone see the current issue. I belive it is Ravel with the smbs and bells on. I guess I have seen him only in polos and the bells, but are these also photo shopped on? The rider they have at the top (cant recall her name) is an eventer and I dont she is wearing PC boots on her horse except for maybe the bells which are hard to see. So just wondering since the thread has been bumped.
    I bumped it because my freshly arrived catalog has the picture of Gina Miles and McKinleigh at the Beijing Olympics with blue SMBs (front boots and bell boots) photoshopped on. Dover does send out different catalogs, so maybe you got a different one than I did. Mine has Reed Kessler and Cylana on the cover.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The photo that has bugged me for YEARS is the grey grand prix show jumper wearing red SMB's and bell boots (to match the rider's red team jacket) it's an awesome picture ruined by red boots that an international level show jumper would never use!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma City View Post
    Ok, so I was curious and went on the Prof Choice website and sent them a little note on their "contact us" page to ask about their choice of ads. They responded quickly saying it was a mistake that got through editing and the person in charge of this particular picture was not an eventer and it wasn't caught before publication. It was a nice note and the person who wrote it noted that "hopefully this picture will not be used again". So, there ya have it, they recognized the mistake, albeit after the fact, and won't use the picture again.
    I just got my new Dover catalog in the mail. Cover has a cute kid riding an adorable Appy pony named Tickle Me.

And the photo is still there, in all its Photoshopped Glory. Page 151.

So much for Pro Choice 'fixing' their mistake. I saw Gina Miles posted on this thread, I think she needs to light some fires at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    The photo that has bugged me for YEARS is the grey grand prix show jumper wearing red SMB's and bell boots (to match the rider's red team jacket) it's an awesome picture ruined by red boots that an international level show jumper would never use!
    Yes! I remember that pic! I was always scratching my head because I had never seen any photos of GP jumpers with SMBs. I always wondered who the person and the horse was lol.

Must be harder for them to replace that picture with an actual picture than we ever imagined...

Just wanted to update this, since the most recent Dover magazine includes the picture again.

I personally know the VP of Professional's Choice, and I can attest to the woman's character. Their products are designed with functionality, quality, and horse's comfort being the most important thing. When the image first came out earlier this year, the VP was livid with her marketing department, and heads did roll. Dover was also asked to pull the ad not just for the terrible photoshopping, but also because photographs of McKinleigh are no longer supposed to be used as advertisements. However, once Dover has the rights to a photograph, they can use it at their will, even if the company who produced the image or ad object. Dover has admitted that they print thousands of magazines at once, and when they are released sometimes the only thing changed is the cover. Therefor, it is quite possible that photo will reappear until the update their photos and ads.

The VP is very upset this image is still being used as it does put Professional's Choice in a bad spot, and in a negative light by many horsepeople. I can attest that the VP herself is an active horsewoman and her daughter events, so eventing holds a special place in her heartthey are actively trying to progress the company and produce high quality products that can be used by eventers at all levels. PC is working closely with UL riders to further these goals.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, that's a helpful update.

Agree, very helpful update that explains why the photos liklely haven't been removed.

I just think it is laughable! Who in their right mind would use SMB's xc anyway??

bahaha!