The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On the other hand...

Photoshop is the only way you'd get SMBs onto my horses' legs.

Truth in advertising, perhaps?

What I don't get is that SMBs have never been marketed at eventers. It's pretty commonly understood that eventers don't use SMBs, and they don't market their boots to eventers for cross country (that I am aware of anyway). So it was a glaring red flag when I saw the ad. It would be like Eskadron photoshopping some of their open front boots on an event horse, just doesn't make sense.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today, this about covered it. I have to agree with JER!!! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma City View Post
    What I don't get is that SMBs have never been marketed at eventers. It's pretty commonly understood that eventers don't use SMBs, and they don't market their boots to eventers for cross country (that I am aware of anyway). So it was a glaring red flag when I saw the ad. It would be like Eskadron photoshopping some of their open front boots on an event horse, just doesn't make sense.
    Just chiming in (not an eventer... at least not anymore) but I gotta agree with you there. They're more marketed towards western horses, at least in my experience. If we're doing light turnout during recovery from a leg injury at my barn, we'll put them on while they're out for protection, so I guess they're good for that too. They just trap way too much heat and water to be good for XC or anything like that if you ask me.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    In the picture I see the bell boots, but I also see the porters and not smbs. Is it in the dover picture that she is in the smbs?

I have not gotten the new dover yet so cannot check.
    Thats what I see as well. I see photo shopped blue bell boots, and it looks like they toned up the blue on the leg protection, but I do NOT see SMBs on the horses leg in the "doctored" photo, looks like porters and wraps still to me.

You can even see the grey of the porter boot in the front of the leg, and the porter boot wrapping around. If they were trying to make them look like SMBs wouldn't they have color the WHOLE boot blue?

Not trying to defend them I HATE SMBs... so hot, collect crap in them, thick.. ugg.

OK went and checked my Dover catalog, you are right! They photo shopped the boots on... landing into a water jump no less, the LAST place you would want some SMBs on your horse!
    Last edited by Appsolute; Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM.

I wouldn't say never - PC is a sponsor at at least one HT that I know of, with banners on XC fences and everything. I would call that marketing toward eventers :P

I also really have no use for the boots... between heat and allergic reactions I have seen with the materials. I do like the bell boots though and am happy to use them regularly.
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by vanraf View Post
    I wouldn't say never - PC is a sponsor at at least one HT that I know of, with banners on XC fences and everything. I would call that marketing toward eventers :P

I also really have no use for the boots... between heat and allergic reactions I have seen with the materials. I do like the bell boots though and am happy to use them regularly.
    Professional Choice makes a lot of products that are not SMBs which are fine for eventing. But I should clarify that I meant that they do not market SMBs for use on the cross country phase of eventing

Professional Choice makes a lot of products that are not SMBs which are fine for eventing. But I should clarify that I meant that they do not market SMBs for use on the cross country phase of eventing
    Ah! I missed that point thanks for clarifying
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Thats what I see as well. I see photo shopped blue bell boots, and it looks like they toned up the blue on the leg protection, but I do NOT see SMBs on the horses leg in the "doctored" photo, looks like porters and wraps still to me.

You can even see the grey of the porter boot in the front of the leg, and the porter boot wrapping around. If they were trying to make them look like SMBs wouldn't they have color the WHOLE boot blue?

Not trying to defend them I HATE SMBs... so hot, collect crap in them, thick.. ugg.
    I have to agree with this. It looks like porters on the horse with wraps and bell boots, not SMBs.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

The photo most of us are talking about is on page 234 of the most recent Dover catalog, with Anne Kursinski and a very happy Lorenzo on the cover. The photo-shopped boots are DEFINITELY SMBs and not Porters with just SMB bellboots.

Just looked again at pic. They are indeed porters covered with blue saratogas, or at least photoshoped blue. They are made to look like SMB's, with the SMB logo on them, but they are in fact, NOT SMB's. Look under a magnifier, and you can see the details better. Pretty fancy doctoring. They colored them to look like them, added the logo in the right place, and the misinformed, or not paying attention types, would just glance and see that they look like SMB's. WOW.

I personally don't have a problem with it. Sponsors support riders.... so what if they want to play with a bit of photoshop?

I mean really, it's not like every athlete/actor/public figure actually uses the products they are compensated to endorse. Who cares? She's getting the support to help finance her competition goals, and they're getting to use her name to sell their products. Win/win right?

I see lots of SMB's at the lowest levels... no harm in that. We all know that riders at the UL's aren't using SMB's, and those that are inexperienced enough to "buy" into the advertising are probably at a low level anyways.

Whatever funnels more money into the sport, I say go ahead. It's not like they created an image that was dangerous to others.
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

For the sake of housekeeping:

Two different pics are refrenced here. The one linked in the first post with just the bell boots photoshopped is not the same one as is in the dover catalog which is definitely a full set of SMB photoshopped on to the photo.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by WW_Queen View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with it. Sponsors support riders.... so what if they want to play with a bit of photoshop?

I mean really, it's not like every athlete/actor/public figure actually uses the products they are compensated to endorse. Who cares? She's getting the support to help finance her competition goals, and they're getting to use her name to sell their products. Win/win right?

I see lots of SMB's at the lowest levels... no harm in that. We all know that riders at the UL's aren't using SMB's, and those that are inexperienced enough to "buy" into the advertising are probably at a low level anyways.

Whatever funnels more money into the sport, I say go ahead. It's not like they created an image that was dangerous to others.
    Well, why not take a picture of Little Suzy eventing at novice and photoshop Olympic rings on her pinney, eh? Who would it hurt?

Or shoot, maybe put her on one of her other advanced horses and just photoshop McKinleigh's head on it, maybe some rings on the pinney. Good to go.

Saying that she used those boots on her horse for her silver medal performance is 1000 words worth of lie.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    On the other hand...

Photoshop is the only way you'd get SMBs onto my horses' legs.

Truth in advertising, perhaps?

Mine, too.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Saying that she used those boots on her horse for her silver medal performance is 1000 words worth of lie.
    Poltroon, I am not arguing with you, I just want to point something out to you and anyone else who is irritated (or more) by this.

I cannot find anywhere the PC 'said' that she was using the SMBs while riding in the Olympics xc. I could be wrong, but regardless, this is a good opportunity to look at advertising.

Try looking at EVERY ad you have a minute to analyze and rather than hearing the claims that the advertiser is trying to get you to accept, list exactly, verbatim, what they are actually saying.

Advertisers, especially those working for the big bucks companies, have defined the art of walking the line between truth and lie. If they can get you to make the leap in your mind that gets you believing what they want, without actually saying it - there is no liability.

I irritate the heck out of people by pointing out what an advertiser actually said, vs what they inferred, implied or led you to believe.

I have worked in sales and I work in marketing and while I try to be more honest than this - PC would tell you they are being perfectly honest.
    I don't pay much attention to sales pitches or marketing when I am shopping (or watching TV).

Good to know that photo in the Dover catalog was a photoshop- I was actually like "really? You used SMBs at the Olympics?" Perplexion solved! I agree that it is cheesy, and misleading advertising.

I bought a set of SMBs when they 1st came out, I had an older mare w/ arthritic issues that I was eventing, because they were advertised as concussion absorbing, or something along those lines. Anyhoo, I was disappointed! They trapped dirt, were hot, held water AND didn't seem to reduce much (if any) concussion I think I only used them once or twice. On the plus side, they have been sitting in a tack truck for 20 yrs and look as good as new

Quote Originally Posted by BarbB View Post
    Poltroon, I am not arguing with you, I just want to point something out to you and anyone else who is irritated (or more) by this.

I cannot find anywhere the PC 'said' that she was using the SMBs while riding in the Olympics xc. I could be wrong, but regardless, this is a good opportunity to look at advertising.

Try looking at EVERY ad you have a minute to analyze and rather than hearing the claims that the advertiser is trying to get you to accept, list exactly, verbatim, what they are actually saying.

Advertisers, especially those working for the big bucks companies, have defined the art of walking the line between truth and lie. If they can get you to make the leap in your mind that gets you believing what they want, without actually saying it - there is no liability.

I irritate the heck out of people by pointing out what an advertiser actually said, vs what they inferred, implied or led you to believe.

I have worked in sales and I work in marketing and while I try to be more honest than this - PC would tell you they are being perfectly honest.
    I don't pay much attention to sales pitches or marketing when I am shopping (or watching TV).
    [Bold is mine]

What do you think PC is trying to say by choosing this particular picture out ALL the other pictures available of McKinlaigh and GM??? I think PC doesn't need to use words to saying what they hope people will "infer"... choosing this particular picture says it all.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

The main thing that I would be worried about from this ad is when a bunch of those that are coming to this sport are riding around risking injury with waterlogged steaming hot boots because, "well I bought them when I saw an eventer using them in the Dover catalogue!"

It is just misleading for those that do not know better.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Default Porter Boots

Those are Porter Boots with PC bell boots only.

No SMBs in that picture