The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Interesting - SMBs photoshopped onto McKinlaigh in Dover catalog

I was browsing through the latest Dover catalog that had just arrived in the mail, and saw something really intriguing (at least to me, as a boot 'ho): There's a picture of Gina Miles and McKinlaigh of them on XC in Beijing, with Mac wearing a pair of SMBs and Prof Choice bell boots. (This was on the page with Professional's Choice products.)

I was pretty sure that any ULR wouldn't be caught dead with water-sucking SMBs on a 3/4* course, so I did a quick search on Google. Not surprised to find a real photo of Gina and McKinlaigh not wearing SMB boots or even PC bell boots, for that matter: http://img00.beijing2008.cn/20080811/Img214529088.jpg (looks like he's got Porters with vetrap)

Go to the Professional's Choice endorsers page, and he's now wearing blue PC bell boots: http://profchoice.com/p-6398-endorsers.html

**NOTE: This is the same photo in the Dover catalog, albeit WITHOUT the SMBs. The one in Dover has blue SMBs added in.

Interrressting...

I know Gina's sponsored by Professional's Choice, but I'm pretty sure it was after the 2008 Olympics. I honestly don't care, because I don't intend on buying SMBs and whether or not a rider is sponsored by PC is not going to affect my decision -- but it made me wonder... is that kosher for Professional's Choice to go in and take an old photo and then ADD their product to it? I think if it was at any other horse trial, I wouldn't think twice, but the fact that it's of one from the 2008 Olympics, it has a greater effect.

Thoughts? Clearly I have too much time on my hands...
    Last edited by FrittSkritt; Mar. 15, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Clarification - read the full post!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I thought it was pretty weird as well. Because no way is ULR putting SMBs on for an Olympic ride, not enough protection in those boots if your horse hit something.

And its not even cleverly photoshopped either. You'd think if they were sponsoring Gina that they would set up a photoshoot so they could say with honesty that her horse was wearing them, not trying to pull one over on people.

Uggh, freaking commercialization.

Had to check it out. That is a HORRIBLE photoshop job! I think I could do better and I'm a hack at it!
    And jeez, at least use a slightly less recognizable picture! Use one that could be at any random event.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Wow, good catch. That's kinda rediculous.... not exactly advertising at it's finest.

That's appalling. I'm disappointed in both of them.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I wonder if Ms. Miles even knows. If we talk about bad examples for helmets, surely bad examples for horse boots are equally dangerous, at least for the horse's legs. I can just see some teenager using Pro Choice boots, having a tendon injury, and saying with a sob, "But Mckinlaigh wore them at the Olympics."

I've always believed the SMBs were actually dangerous because of the way they trapped heat over time on a XC course.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It is all marketing and as has been shown many times, any nutraceutical, P2 air vests, and others can say/show whatever they wish with no repercussion. It does not surprise me at all.

I do think you have created a whole new "Where's Waldo" activity for equestrians. Now we can start looking for mistakes/falsehoods in advertising.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hmm... I agree with another poster that they should have not used the olympic picture but another of her going around a ***/**** course when she was actually using them. I know people that use the P. Choice no turn bell boots on their horses for XC so it is not unheard of.

Who would ever use those SMB boots for XC? Beyond me.

That being said, she has come out with a bit line for PC that I actually like. Out of the 7-8 bits in the dover catalogue I would use about 5 or 6 of them if I needed that bit for my horse. They look well designed and I would have to check them out for quality, but I would purchase one.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Has McKinlaigh done an Advanced level course since the Olympics? I've been under the impression that Hong Kong was his last hurrah.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Ha, I noticed that too...I thought "really, is someone eventing at an UL with SMBs, no way!".

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Has McKinlaigh done an Advanced level course since the Olympics? I've been under the impression that Hong Kong was his last hurrah.
    He has not evented since, looking at his records. I was meaning another horse but McKinlaigh was her famous mount so I guess that is how people would recognize her.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I think, or at least USEA says so that McKinlaigh has pretty much retired from the UL scene. Although I thought I read somewhere that he may be towing a green rider around some LL courses. Wouldn't that be an awesome ride?

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    It is all marketing
    It is just marketing, but the idiot who came up with the idea should be fired for not doing a few minutes of research and finding out that it would attract negative attention since the fans of the sport know what tack the horses wear.
    It would be like plastering John Elway's face on a picture of someone in uniform with a different (wrong) number. It is the sort of thing that makes your product popular around the water cooler and not for the right reasons.

WOW, I was just flipping through the Dover catalog as well and noticed that picture.

I remember thinking, 'humm.... I don't remember seeing those while watching the coverage, how weird and what ULR uses those for XC?'
    Last edited by Sweet Thing Eventing; Mar. 14, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'

I saw the picture and thought "Not a chance!"

In the picture I see the bell boots, but I also see the porters and not smbs. Is it in the dover picture that she is in the smbs?

I have not gotten the new dover yet so cannot check.

Oh, brother.

Sleazy advertising on top of fake science. What a company.
    Click here before you buy.

Not that I would EVER buy Pro Choice for XC, and I was already not fond of their other products, but this takes the cake. Sleezy, dishonest advertising. I certainly hope Gina Miles didn't realize that this was being done.

This is the kind of advertising that makes me go specifically out of my way to buy anything OTHER than Professional's Choice.

Keepin' it Klassy, SMB!
    Wow, that's really lame.

This is the kind of advertising that makes me go specifically out of my way to buy anything OTHER
    YES. I hope these companies are aware of this. Or maybe they don't care? Perhaps the type who is offended to the point of purposely NOT buying products from companies with awful advertising policies is a small minority and not worth changing their practice?
    Click here before you buy.