The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I Need Words of Wisdom About Getting Back ON

I haven't ridden since the end of August. I'm in high school, and I row crew as well as ride. At the beginning of this year, because of college stuff, I made the decision to row in the fall as well as the spring and give up riding for the time being. I miss it so much and I'm making plans to pick it back up over the summer. By then it will have been 9 months without even being near a horse, let alone on one. In almost 7 years of riding, I've never been off for more than a few weeks. I'm so afraid I'm going to be really really out of shape or have lost all my hard earned skills. I finally got up to jumping 3' courses this summer, and I was doing really well in my local eq classes, which is something I worked so hard for.
    So, any words of wisdom for getting back on after a long absence? Is it like riding a bicycle? (i.e. will I remember what I'm doing?) Thank you!
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

You'll remember... you never forget. You'll be rusty, and your balance will be off, but you'll remember.

DON'T get frustrated that you aren't capable of doing what you used to do. That will come with a few weeks of regular riding. You must build up muscle memory first!

I have had a longer lay off than you and as stated above, you won't forget. It really was like riding a bike for me. I was winded quickly though and my thighs shaky when I got off and sore for a bit after, but my actual riding and position and all that stuff, right where I left off. You being younger and the fact you did rowing should help with your overall fitness and cardio so I bet you will back in no time once you get back riding.

I took 5 years off in my early 30s and returning was a rude awakening. My balance was off, my core strength was totally gone. I felt like a sack of potatoes. I s'pose starting on a green broke 2 yr old wasn't in my favor

But really, the core strength and balance is the biggest part. If you've been rowing, and only off for 9 months, it will come back really quickly. Don't worry if the bravery isn't there in full force, that will come back too.

Oh, I was thinking about you the other day

anyhow...

You are young that's a plus

you are in good shape - rowing does that to you... another plus.

your riding muscles might be a bit weakened and the rowing muscles bigger than you remembered them from before, so the balance might be off a shade.

But you will be ok. maybe a shade sore the first few days, but you'll be ok!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Erm, you're in high school and row and now worrying about getting on a horse?? (Yes, that was meant to be funny snarky. Cue the laugh track!)

You'll be fine. You might be a tad off for a bit but at your age and fitness, it'll probably be closer to only a day, if that.

Core strength, to me is the biggie. Even at my age, when I've taken time off, it comes back pretty quickly.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Just do it. It'll come back, and very quickly at your age.

I was off for 3+ months with a broken hip (stupid oxer!) and was back up to speed in less than 6 months. But I was 57 at the time.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

You may feel discombobulated at first, and it may be a little frustrating to know what you should be doing, but not be able to actually do it. The easy stuff will still feel natural and it'll all come back quickly if you're in good shape. Maybe don't school greenies over fences your first ride back, but you should be fine.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Yup, like riding a bike. I hadn't ridden since fall, and what's the first horse I get on? A VERY game gaited colt that I'd only ridden twice before, and that was at least a year prior. I'm old and out of shape. Yeah, my legs and core definitely were weak. I got dumped when I lost a stirrup and the horse deciding to throw a bucking fit when the stirrup slapped him, but I got back on (I think my trainer was expecting to have to finish that session, LOL!) and did fine. I must admit that fat bruises, and I hurt for about 2 weeks after! Even for us old people, the muscle memory is there, you just have to get those muscles back in shape.

You have youth on your side. When I was in college (10+ years ago), I used to not ride for most of the fall semester, come home for Fall Break (mid October-ish at my school), and get on my mare bareback, then ride the two other geldings we had at the time. I was a little sore the next day, but never felt like I lost much in terms of skill or balance. When I took a few years off from riding in my late 20s (combination of finances and a chronically unsound horse), I was shocked at how much I had lost when I finally got back to riding again.

That being said, a lot depends on the horse you're riding. I'm not sure if you own a horse, or were leasing or riding schoolies. My mare (the late, great real-life BlueEyedSorrel) was one of those horses who could sit in the pasture for a couple months, and then jog off like you rode 2 days ago. So I didn't worry about her being fresh, bucking me off etc. I wouldn't try that with my current horse. After 2 weeks off for some really rotten, nasty weather, she acts like she's never even SEEN a saddle before, much less been ridden

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Oh, I was thinking about you the other day
    I'm honored! Any particular reason?

Anyway, thanks everyone for reassuring me! I'm always a little bit nervous about getting back on anyway, just because I have confidence issues anyway :/ It's good to know the skills are still there under the surface though! I am not looking forward to being sore though lol, I was off for two weeks over the summer and I was SO sore when I first got back (though maybe that's because I had two weeks to get ready for a show and my trainer put me through bootcamp )
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat95 View Post
    I'm honored! Any particular reason?

Anyway, thanks everyone for reassuring me! I'm always a little bit nervous about getting back on anyway, just because I have confidence issues anyway :/ It's good to know the skills are still there under the surface though! I am not looking forward to being sore though lol, I was off for two weeks over the summer and I was SO sore when I first got back (though maybe that's because I had two weeks to get ready for a show and my trainer put me through bootcamp )

Nothing particular, really.
    I sometimes wonder how things turn out for people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.