The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default STRAYS!!! Ahhh how to do not keep them all? (PIC)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...mia/puppup.jpg

Showed up two days ago about 15 feet from my back door. I was in love immediately. He's a young-in only about 12 weeks and oh so cute. BUT I have 4 dogs already - half of them showed up like he did.

He went to a local stray vet adoption program, but I'm so sad. I really liked this little guy and would have kept him in a heartbeat if it weren't for the large number of canines we already have.

PM me if anyone is interested in adopting this adorable puppy. He's located in the triangle area of NC.

Try helping out at your animal control shelter, where several like that show up every day. You learn in a very big hurry you can't take them all home.

Very strange world we live in, where people can have any puppy/dog for a bit or long and drop it like an old dirty sock when not handy to care for it any more.

That one looks so cute, it may get adopted yet.

I have volunteered and done several breed rescues. Didn't seem to cure it

This one is cute and super smart. I taught him to sit in a very short time and he retained it. Any takers?

Oh he is so adorable!!

The only reason I don't keep them all (well we've kept 2.7%!) is because we foster through a rescue group. We get to pick them out (Except for the returned dogs) and get any behavior or health stuff worked out and give them the best chance at a happy life as we can!
    Aside from the emotional support from the fellow rescue group people (especially at the beginning, I spent my share of time at the back of the pet store crying when my favorite foster was adopted, and the rescue ladies were reassuring me that that i was doing the right thing!) we couldn't really foster any if it was on our own money. The food alone would be expensive, can't IMAGINE the vet bills, the adoption fee rarely covers all expenses (it may be close for a healthy adult, but puppies need more shots, and any extras like a skin infection would cost $$), but our rescue pays for or supplies us with everything dog related, leashes crates bowls shampoo towels brushes collars hw meds....

Perhaps there's a rescue in your area whose philosophy you agree with, who could let you foster with them?
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

He's adorable. Luck to the pup...hope he finds a wonderful home.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

He is super adorable! If only in the market for another dog right now, he
    would be snatched up.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

That is soooo cute if only I didn't live in another country.

Umm, thats my dog. Where is he?!!!

Seriously. It is uncanny, he is the spitting image of Bisous. I will go get him.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Umm, thats my dog. Where is he?!!!

Seriously. It is uncanny, he is the spitting image of Bisous. I will go get him.
    Really?

He looks like a very neat puppy, worth scooping up.
    Those are the kind we could get adopted quickly and so featured in our TV spots.

If you get him, post pictures with yours.

Seriously.

Waiting to hear from the OP

I will go get him.

And I will post lots of pics, so many, you will all be sick of them.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Damn, I love this bunch.

Luck to you ET, he looks like a keeper to me too.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Through no fault of anyones, he is now in the rescue pipeline and quarantined for at a minimum of ten days, etc. etc. etc. And will be difficult to get ahold of.

Funny, they said they need to quarantine him to be sure he doesnt have anything contagious... When I questioned a very young dog being isolated they then said he would be socialized with people and the dogs at the vet hospital.
    ---

that is a bit

None the less... what a good person you are for trying

What will happen to him after the 10 days? Or did something already happen?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

EqT--You're such a softie! Can't wait to meet the new pup. If the pup is bothered by the quarantine, I'm sure you'll fix that quickly.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

He's still available for adoption.

I think a puppy found me today. Raised in a home with kids and cats. I hope he finds a good home!
    ---

Dogs like him are why so many rescue groups in the northeast are heading south and bringing adoptable dogs home. Here in NJ, almost all the shelter dogs are pits or pit mixes. Don't want to get into that argument but suffice it to say that a lot of people don't want that kind of dog. I guess spay/neuter has been pretty successful here but not so much south of the Mason/Dixon Line.