The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Percheron mare - age 18 - rides and drives - OH - ADOPTION PENDING

ETA - Looks like Fiona will be on her way to a great home soon. Thanks to all who inquired :-)

This poor mare was in a sad state of emaciation last July, so we brought her home and fed her up.

Here is what she looks like now (please ignore the dirt):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fq4LKaYvec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3KOXExNq4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HpvfvBMHFA

The good:
    - Great personality. Very sweet and seems to draw everyone to her. It's hard to resist petting that big friendly white head. Loves attention and grooming. I would say she is an especially personable horse.
    - Very submissive and respectful. Probably about as safe to handle as a giant animal can be. No vices.
    - Jump on her bareback with a halter daily or once a year - she is always the same. Anyone can ride her (both my senior citizen mom and young son have ridden her in the arena). She prefers to walk, and her preferred form of resistance is to stop and stand there. She will trot, but you have to be committed ;-)
    - It is my understanding that she was once shown in driving events, both single and as part of a team. Sleigh ride, anyone?
    - Gets along with everyone (actually, she is always at the bottom of the pecking order, so if anything, you have to make sure she's not getting picked on)
    - Healthy and sound, as far as I know, although she is still gaining strength back from being starved. I don't have her on any special maintenance, just basic grain and grass hay. Given her age and the condition that she was in when we brought her home, I think light riding/driving would be the fairest thing to ask of her.

The bad:
    -It can be challenging to deal with her feet. My farrier does trim her standing, with me holding her and keeping her from leaning too much on him, but I'm sure she would do better with stocks. She lifts her feet willingly enough, but has trouble staying up long enough to do a really thorough picking/trim/etc. I think this may improve as she continues to gain strength, but for someone who is accustomed to non-drafts (like me), it is a big adjustment and can get frustrating.
    - Since she has a docked tail, bugs really torment her in the summer, so she absolutely needs to wear a fly sheet and hood.
    - She is not to be bred. Besides the fact that she is older, it is my understanding that she had many complications while delivering her first (only) foal, years ago.

To be honest, I'm nervous about trying to place her, since she has been through so much already. But she is a sweet mare with so much to offer to the right situation, I thought I'd post here and see if the perfect fit might be out there.
    Last edited by shygirl; Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: update

awww - she's so cute snapping those knees up and kudos to the rider for not bouncing!

I wish I could take her, but I have just broken my neck and am still healing - won't ride again.

ask for references and call on them.

She's adorable... love the big drafties. I hope some great COTHer scoops her up!

There's a draft rescue* in OH- Frog Pond Draft Rescue (http://www.frogpondfarmdrafts.com/) that may be able to help you network her if you can't find her a home here. Good Luck. She looks cool.

*I have never worked with this rescue.

I am not sure about Frog Pond doing rescue right now.

she sure is cute!!!!

Thanks guys! She really is a fun horse. If she were about a foot and a half shorter, I'd have the perfect job for her here.

HM7 - I can't even imagine what you must be going through with a broken neck - jingles for good healing.

OlyP, thanks for the link. I thought there was a thread on here awhile ago about Frog Pond Farm needing to "liquidate," or something like that, but perhaps I will contact them to check.

Smile

shygirl, I sent you a PM.

What a sweet horse, she is wonderful

Bump! Fiona is still available. Just had her spring shots and feet trimmed.