The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplements for 4 year old coming into work?

My 4 year old pony is going to be doing more work come spring. I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs for a healthy start. She is an easy keeper and I'm very happy with her current weight, energy level and attitude. I'm wondering what I should add to her program to make sure she can build muscle and have the proper energy for work. She is currently on:
    -Free choice high quality grass hay
    -Smartvite Performance Grass: http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/smartv...x?cm_vc=Search
    -SmartMare (now SmartHarmony)

I want to add an omega supplement and am wondering if a joint supplement would be a good preventative or a waste. Anything else she is missing? Any suggestions for Omega supplements in pelleted form (no grain so easier to feed!). She looks great and has great performance but I want to pick your cumulative brains on anything I'm missing for a growing girl coming into dressage and light eventing. She is a 4 year old Clydesdale/Haflinger/Morgan/Percheron standing 13.3hh and expected to top at 14-14.1hh if that helps! Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I generally do Smartpak for BO convenience so if you've got suggestions from there even better! Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

She's not missing anything. The vit/min supplement she is on is great if she gets no concentrates or very little. Otherwise, I would stop there. Supplements aren't a necessity of horsey life, despite what Smartpak leads us to believe (says a happy Smartpak customer).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    She's not missing anything. The vit/min supplement she is on is great if she gets no concentrates or very little. Otherwise, I would stop there. Supplements aren't a necessity of horsey life, despite what Smartpak leads us to believe (says a happy Smartpak customer).
    ^THIS! Supplement companies want you to think they need supplements when the truth is that a healthy horse getting necessary vitamin & minerals is just fine.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Oh man! Save your money for a cute saddle pad or something!

You can add a preventative joint supplement in a few years if you want but right now, enjoy the easy life

A bit off topic, but related to Smartpak I was a bit worried about the quality of the feed at my new barn when I moved my horses there about 2 years ago. I got all the info from the manufactuer on what went into the feed, and called Smartpak to see if they recommended supplementing anything. They took down the ingredients, asked about the quality of hay and grass and where in the country I was located. They called back a few days later after doing a little analysis and said everything looked fine and as long as my horse seemed healthy and happy no need to supplement! I was shocked! So kudos for them for not pushing un-needed supplements when asked!

Yes, I do love SmartPak's customer service!

I order supplements from them, but only ones that I need. For instance, my mare is ulcer prone and recently came of a full month of treatment. The vet highly recommended she be on NeighLox. I use SP to order this. Because I get free shipping, I also order my wormer thru them, since it comes with my already scheduled shipment of NeighLox.

If your horse is on good quality forage (pasture or free choice hay) and is getting his vitamins/minerals (which is what you're feeding hte SmartVite for) don't over do it with unneeded stuff, and save your money. A good quality feed will result in good hooves, nice coat, etc.

If you find that he loses too much weight when in heavy work, put him on a good quality feed to provide more calories.

Great!!! Thanks guys!! I was looking into a ration balancer because I keep seeing she may need more protein and amino acids that her vitamin supplant isnt getting her. But if our plan looks good I'll just hold tight! Really appreciate the advice! Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Great!!! Thanks guys!! I was looking into a ration balancer because I keep seeing she may need more protein and amino acids that her vitamin supplant isnt getting her. But if our plan looks good I'll just hold tight! Really appreciate the advice! Thanks!
    I believe the SmartVite supplement acts like a ration balancer just with less protein.

In order to know for sure what she is getting, and if its enough (protein, amino acids, etc), you should get your hay tested to get an overall picture of what is going in.

Unfortunately the hay changes frequently. I've been happy with our program but with more work and show season upon us I want to make sure she's getting enough protein and amino acids. Does a high quality grass hay and her Smartvite meet those needs?

If you really want to make sure, you could put her on a ration balancer. 1lb a day, maybe just 1/2lb give her size.

Well I went to the feed store today just to see what they had available. Low and behold they now carry Progressive Nutrition which so many COTHers rave about! I label read and was quite pleased with what it offered and it ended up only being $17/month for her to be on a pound a day! $10/month cheaper than my SmartVite and it has the Omegas built in! So really a $25/month savings since I don't have to buy Omegas separate now! I feel better knowing she's getting all the protein and amino acids as well as her vitamins. I'll let you know how she does on it! Per the COTH reviews I'm hoping she responds well! Thanks for all the advice!

Forgot to say I put her on the ProAdvantage Grass Formula ration balancer. If it's good enough for EQTrainer it's good enough for me! :-D LOL

Love Progressive

And really, for her size, you would probably be just fine at 1/2lb, but if she's really working hard, then the 1lb would be ok too

Good to know JB! She weighs about 800lbs so the woman at the feed store suggested 1pm instead of the 2 it recommends for 1100-1300lbs. 1/2lb a day is enough to get her all her goodies? I'm all about feeding the least amount possible...especially because I'm nervous about her getting too much energy. I'm sure she'll be fine on it but I just love how easy going and calm she is!

IMVHO, the recommendation of most RBs at the 2lb (for most horses) is just overkill, just not necessary. Based on what's in them, unless the forage is just super craptastic, 1lb really is enough.

So yes, I think you'd be fine starting at 1/2lb

Bet you were typing that on your phone werentcha - 1pm is what mine tries to change 1lb to all the freakin' time!

LOL! I totally was! So funny! Thank you and we'll do a half lb:-)

Clydesdale/Haflinger/Morgan/Percheron

Does this mean you got to see her parents?

I didn't personally meet them because i had her delivered sught unseen (scary but she turned out 1,000,000 times better than my wildest dreams!!) but they are on the breeders property and I saw pictures! Funny thing was the breeder tried for several years to develop a Clydesdale pony and none came out right. She had no intentions of breeding this mare as she didn't see any reason she would contribute to making a smaller Clydesdale pony. Well, one day she comes out to find her Clydesdale/Haflinger stallion busted out and bred her Clyde/Haflinger/Percheron/Morgan mare who was a "failed" Clyde pony because she had no markings. She was furious. Well, 11 months later out pops my Willa...a darling bay draft pony with 4 high whites and a blaze! LOL. She even got the feathers! LOL She finally got her shrunken Clyde completely by accident!

Pics for fun! And I grew out her feathers now that aren't seen in these pictures. I'll take done tomorrow so you can see my little shrunken Clydesdale!

www.photobucket.com/adventuresofwilla