The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have Bull Terriers?

Hi all! Its been a while (okay, YEARS) since I've posted here! I don't have a horse anymore, but I do have one silly bull terrier who melts my heart.

Is anyone else here owned by a crazy bull terrier?

Here's some pics and a funny vid of my Rufus <3....

Video http://flic.kr/p/ajzBA8

Hanging aroung the house-
    http://flic.kr/p/aa46xu

Sound asleep in the car-
    http://flic.kr/p/b28xN4

Making a silly face-
    http://flic.kr/p/aNBZdH

Posing for the camera-
    http://flic.kr/p/aNBZ68

Modeling for jacquecouture.com-
    http://flic.kr/p/aNBYDt

last one...
    http://flic.kr/p/aWKJqv

Would love to see your bullies if you have one! Please share pics.

ever since seeing bodger the bully on the big screen in the FIRST incredible journey in the early 60's i have been in love with the breed..before intrnet they were tough to find, and now , i am accustumed to multiple breeds and multiple dogs in my house at all times, and i doubt a bullie would be a wise choice...but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and the silliness.....your guy is gorgeous!!! and the photos are wonderful

We adopted one from a breeder who needed to find a home for her as she wasn't getting along with the other bitches. She is a funny dog-not very trainable and has crazy allergies but doesn't really cause any trouble.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3675243&type=1
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

We have two - mother and son.

The son has had terrible skin allergies and I am proud to say that through being very dilligent I have got them unde rcontrol and he's stopped that awful rubbing of his tummy on any rough surface. He is so much happier.

They are great dogs....but need knowledgeable owners, not exactly a beginner owner dog

Don Cherry's favourite breed (Blue)!

Equine studies - what a beautifu girl she is! Have you ever read the book "When Pigs Fly"? Its a great book written by a bull terrier breeder/trainer. Really helpful tips.

Agreed, they are not for everyone! Funny dogs with never-ending antics up their sleeve, yet so cuddly and loyal at the same time.

Mine is allergy ridden too, have spent so much money at vets and was referred to a dermatologist. Found out he's highly allergic to dust and dust mites. He will start his allergy shots tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing your bullies!

How about the book "Champion" about a Bull Terrier and his girlfriend Simonetta ,a black standard poodle. Lavishly illustrated by R.F.Barker.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    How about the book "Champion" about a Bull Terrier and his girlfriend Simonetta ,a black standard poodle. Lavishly illustrated by R.F.Barker.
    Never heard of this one! Just googled it...looks pretty hard find a copy?

There's also "Bat - The Story of a Bull Terrier" by Col. Meeks I believe.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Actually it was by Stephen Meader and I just bought the only copy on eBay. Sorry. Couldn't resist, it was one of my favorites and I've been looking for it off and on over the years.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bullies!! I use to breed them about a million years ago.

My first one was a mature, un-neutered male who had been trained in Schuzhound (sorry about murdering the spelling) by an experienced trainer, but this trainer was NOT experienced in Bullies. He quickly discovered that Bullies were very enthusiastic about the "attack" part, but not so much about the "out" part.

Considering he was raised in a kennel, he actually was a very good boy. I also had a younger, un-neutered GSD at the same time and there were never any issues between the two. Loki (the BT) was hit by a car the first year I owned him...poor dude.

I was hooked, and shortly after that I bought a female puppy from a small but reputable breeder up in New Hampshire. "Molly" was one of the loves of my life. She got along with everyone -- other dogs (of both genders), cats, people, kids (if you consider kids to be people).

I was working as a polo groom in Los Angeles during much of that time and dogs were allowed on the LA Equestrian Ctr. While my GSD would go out with me, keeping pace while I exercised the ponies, this was far too much work for Molly (after they are about 1 yr old, BT's are not big fans of movement or temps below 60 degrees).

Instead, she would waddle from tack room to tack room, begging for bagels & stale donuts. EVERYONE knew Molly. During games or horse shows she would be greeted by her "pals" Robert Duvall, Sly Stallone, Tommy Lee Jones, Merv Griffin, etc. They would stop, stoop down and pat her on the head and give her a treat if they had one. "Hi Molly!" they'd say, "Aren't you a GOOD DOG!" and she would wag her fat little tail and roll those squinty, pig eyes in agreement.

Of course, none of these people ever said a word to ME, but they adored Molly. She was a friend to all -- from the "A-list" polo-palying movie stars to the hookers who worked the corner of Sunset Blvd by the Ralph's supermarket.

When I moved up to Idaho a seamstress friend of mine made a "custom" quilted wool coat for her. Alas, it was not quite enough to keep her delicate BT thermostat up to the required temp (which is about 100 degrees from what I could tell), so she spent most of her time between Sept & June curled up about 2 ft from the wood stove either wrapped around or on top of my BF's very fat cat "Miss Kitty", who also disliked Idaho winters.

In between rubbing snouts with Hollywood's Elite and roughing it in the Idaho back woods, Molly managed to produce 2 litters of puppies, including several who attained their championships.

I never had problems with any sort of allergies...maybe the breed has gotten worse over the years?

While I agree with those who say Bullies are NOT a breed for a person with a mild, non-assertive sort of temperament or those who aren't experienced with the strong-willed breeds, I found them to be very loving and sweet once you sorted out who was in charge. They have a great sense of humor and don't mind playing the fool, especially if food is involved.

They don't require much exercise once they are past puppy-hood and are VERY comfort oriented. They like warm & soft. Mine lived with other dogs & cats (and horses), although I would NOT recommend having 2 of the same gender at the same time.

Right now I still live a (fairly) active life out in the country, so I have heelers, pits etc. But once I get well into my dotage, I have already decided that my old age dog will be a Bullie...white, please.

Great dogs!

wow, since some of you have bullies in multiple dog households, you give me hope for owning one.......
    what about the mini bullies?........just asking for trouble, or what?

AND, fyi , ALL the aforementioned books are available through amazon........i just bought them..........used, but available
    Last edited by tallyho392; Mar. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

While bullies vary, if they are really well socialized I expect all but the most aggressive males are fine with other dogs. We have 2 bullies and one boxer and life's a riot. There are two lovely ones we see at the off-leash park and they are just fine, plus the fellow has just adopted another one.

OTOH Princess Anne had a saga..!

P.S. A brown and white Bull Terrier went Grand Champion overall at Westminster Kennel Club a few years ago - Rufus was his name.

I have had two BT's in the last five years. My first was not well bred and eventually his OCED(Obsessive Compulsive Eating Disorder) got the better of him. We lost him last summer. I still miss him and despite having had my current bundle of craziness for seven months I will sometimes call my current one by the old one's name.

They are crazy, loving, loyal, hard headed, stubborn, and one of the best breeds if you are a bully person. They are not for everybody. We name ours after their rock hard heads. The first one was Jasper(a semi precious stone) the current one is Agate.

We also have a Golden Retriever. We got her as a puppy when our first BT was a year old. And she has pretty much raised the second one. I have never had any problems with my BT interacting with other dogs. He will play with any dog, even un-neutered males (He himself is not neutered yet, we're waiting until he is a year old)

At this moment he's home playing with our Golden and a friend's Golden/Beagle cross. I would however caution anyone getting a BT that they are not an appropriate playmate for dogs who cannot withstand rough play ie toy/small breed dogs. Bullies are quite simply rhinoceri(sp?) and have too high a pain tolerance, and too harsh a play level for a small/toy breed. I would also do lots or research. There are BT breeders and then there are good BT breeders. It does make a huge difference. Our current one is smarter, quieter, calmer than the previous BT.

Other than that we loooove our boy.

Agate watching TV with me. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Agate doing one of his favorite things, hogging the couch.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/