The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Horse with a pulled hamstring

My horse was diagnosed with a pulled hamstring last week. Has anyone else had that happen to their horse? If so, did you find out the cause? I talked to my vet and we are not sure how it happened but I was wondering if it could possibly have been the footing as it is kind of deep, up to six inches in some places. Any responses or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

my horse had a pulled or strained hamstring- vets dedected soreness in that are as did the massage person- I have taken it very slowly rehabing- slow and steady--- plus a back on track mesh bblanket and monthly equine massage treatments- all seemd to work but it took a while and I am not sure I am out of the woods- deep footing could be a cause- for me- strain of showing- I am also trying to get/keep mare fit-also some sore no more on the area was suggested-

My mare pulled her hamstring giving birth - getting up and down? It did not make her terribly lame, but over time the muscle atrophied and sank in so badly.
    She actually never got over it completely, but at the time was at the end of her working life. Two vets took pictures of it...

My 4 year old Morgan pulled his hamstring last November and we're still working on rehabbing and bringing him back to full work. He seems to get a lot better and on track to continue work and then strains it again playing or walking around on his hind legs (you know, 4 year old stuff). I've been bringing him back super slow, walkng and trotting only under saddle. Massaging and carefully stretching that leg forward. It really is a super slow process.

Oh, and I also put him on SmartPaks Rehab pellets and I will say they do seem to be helping quite a bit.

And he did it trotting poles - landed on and rolled the same pole twice with his back left leg.

Thank you all for your replies! He is sound at the trot now so we will just work on taking it very slow with only walking and trotting under saddle. Thanks again everyone!

One more question, when your horse pulled or strained the hamstring, did your vet put them on no turnout? From reading the replies it seems that a pulled hamstring is a little more serious than I thought. My vet seemed very unconcerned about it and said my horse and be on regular turnout and that my horse will let me know when he is ready to start working more. She also told me to use a hot pack, massage the hamstring and use liniment which I am doing everyday. She is not coming back for a recheck.

What were the signs of a pulled hamstring with your horse?
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Alibhai's Alibar, thanks for responding. He is sound at a walk on all surfaces. He was completely sound on hard footing when trotting but lame to going to the right in soft footing but he seems to be sound at the trot on softer surfaces now. He really struggles to canter especially to the right. He is short with his right hind leg. There is a big difference in feel of the right hamstring from the left. The right one is very tight and in the area around the groove it is so tight you can almost pluck it like a violin string. He is also very sore along his right hip and buttocks.

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out a hind end issue on a horse as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful advice, but best wishes for speedy recovery.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

The night of the leap year my horse managed to mess up his entire back right leg. It was swollen hard as a rock and about 1/2" thick in the groin, his leg was swollen all the way down, and he was 3 legged lame.
    What helped...2 shots a day banamine for 5 days-massage everyday, cold hosing, I also wrapped it 3 days from above the hock all the way down to his hoof for support. I know this is debated-but I always do what would work for me!
    Also...where you cannot wrap-SORENOMORE with arnica is a great gel that you can use-that's what I put on the groin (inside the stifle-all the way to his buttocks)
    He's going outside now, and running with the others-he's still a little gimpy, but not even close to what he was.
    If anyone needs help-I will be setting up an online coaching with a webcam!
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]