The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle fitter recommendations in Colorado?

Looking for recommendations for saddle fitters who will work in the north Denver area.

Susie Fletcher-Baker certified master saddler:

http://masterssaddlery.com/

Used her for years. She's wonderful.

I've heard good things about her but she says I am too far out of her area.

Bev Harrison, the owner of The Tack Collection in Lafayette.
    http://tackcollection.com/saddle-fitting

Alice Kremers is good, too. Her email is: FoxManRed@aol.com

PM'ing you, too.

Jen at Happy Horse Tack in Fort Collins does it long distance for a bunch of us in Durango.

I've used Bev Harrison before. She was great to work with and traveled to our barn in Black Forest. Her prices were very reasonable I felt.

Isn't there a place in Grand Junction that does fittings? Can't recall the name...
    Help!

Beasmom-yes. Tiger Adams at The Horse in Sport, but that wont' help the OP in north Denver.

Thanks -- I was hoping that info would help our Durango poster.

When I lived in CO I used both Jen from Happy Horse and Bev Harrison, and had very good experiences with both. Slightly better with Bev in one regard as twice I had older Kieffers that needed to be adjusted, and Jen sent it out to have the work done while Bev had it done in-shop. It was mostly the turnaround time that made the experience with Bev better.

I also had Jen out a few times to purchase a new saddle (or used but new-to-me) and she was fantastic for that--very good at evaluating fit and working within your budget. I really like her and even with her sending my Kieffer to Virginia (IIRC) it was very quickly done and came back in great shape, she had insurance on it even though it was a 20+ year old saddle, that sort of thing. I highly recommend both women. The Tack Collection is sort of in the north Denver area and I do believe Jen travels.

I bought enough stuff from Jen when I lived in Fort Collins that she literally got to the point where she recognized my voice on the phone. Happy Horse is an awesome tack shop.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Multiple good experiences with Jen at Happy Horse with fitting two horses, multiple saddles, all long distance. And neither is an easy fit. Very professional, and understands budget restraints, represents multiple brands.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygal View Post
    I've used Bev Harrison before. She was great to work with and traveled to our barn in Black Forest. Her prices were very reasonable I felt.
    Another vote for Bev. She works on most of the saddles at my barn and I purchased my Trilogy from her. Super laid back and nice, and had a good read on my mare the first time meeting her (even remembers her name whenever I stop by the Tack Collection). Also did a free adjustment when I started slipping to the left in my saddle after 1 month, though my barn is close so I just took it to the shop.

I've worked with many of the saddle fitters mentioned (Alice, Bev, Jen) and Jen is the one I would recommend above the others. That said, if you want a Prestige, go to Bev, if you are interested in a County, go to Alice.

I am now in Washington and I still am working with Jen on my saddles. Her customer service, knowledge and practices blow everyone else away in my opinion. She does saddle fittings for free if you are at a show or event that she is at already. Otherwise, she is very reasonable to bring to your own barn. SHe knows me and my horse so well now that we can just do everything over the phone, with pictures, etc.

In the end, Jen will spend far more time with you, if you need it, than any of the others.