The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else's horse seem to be chronically accident prone?

Like I said, anyone else feel like their horse is always hurting themselves? I just got my first horse (have leased for years and ridden forever) about a month ago and today will be our second visit from the vet for unrelated non-routine things . In the last month I've had him I've probably only ridden him 4 times and have only trotted once! He's a great horse and is only four years old so I'm not in a big rush anyway, and its been nice getting to know each other on the ground/build up a relationship but it just stinks going to the barn wondering what problem is going to arise that day! Anyway, just needed to vent. Feeling like I'm the only one who's destined to become the vets favorite client!

I've got one 12yo who's visited the vet for injuries twice in his life and a 17yo who's also only had two injury-related vet visits - I've had both since they were foals.

Theeeen we've got the others who more than make up for the aforementioned two's lack of injuries and necessity for veterinary services It was never alarming for my mom's OTTB gelding to have been injured at any time. Always minor enough to not really require a vet though; you'd just have to wait him out. One of my own OTTB's seems to always be getting into something, too. Most of the time I shrug it off, give him some days off if necessary, and wait for him to come around again. He's so high energy though that he seems to get quite a few bumps and bruises, from banging his knees on things because he slid into them from a run to taking big spills (in pasture) whereby my coach thought he was in a carwreck And now I'm dealing with some type of infection with him Luckily nothing major yet.

I don't know what it is about some of them, the just can't seem to stay out of trouble!
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

My old trainer had an FEI-level dressage horse like this. She had a couple of joking things to say about him, like, "We'd wrap him in bubble wrap, but he'd eat it and colic." And "One of these mornings I am going to show up at the barn and find he's completely detached his head from the rest of him."
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I have a dressage horse like this. He's a Danish Warmblood who is 19 now. He was so reactive to everything, spooking at a leaf, rain on the roof of the barn, an errant flower on the hill. I finally just started giving him Calm and Cool twice a day and it really cut down on the incidents. He can't show on it so we have to stop giving it to him before shows but this has really made a difference. it does not make him sleepy or sap his energy but it really slows down his reaction time so that he can really digest the fear instead of blowing up at everything immediately. Otherwise we had a permanent suite reserved for us at the vet hospital.

Sometimes the stars align and I seem to be in the vet office all. the. time. I've owned horses for 12 years and spent 11 of them lameness free. Then a year ago, my pony sustained a suspensory injury in the paddock. He was cleared from that in the fall and then started showing issues with his back. That was addressed and going well and then my cat was diagnosed with bladder stones and needed surgery. Now I'm caring for a post-surgical cat and my other horse turned up dead lame with what looks to be a bad soft tissue injury this past weekend! It's starting to feel like it never ends!!

Hopefully you'll get all of your "bad luck" out of the way in the beginning and will be able to enjoy your horse for a long time without complications after that
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My current horse is spooky and seems to ding herself a lot. Not seriously but if it was me I would be more careful and less spooky.

Many years ago I had a lovely young paint who was a dream to teach and ride and work around but could not keep from hurting himself in a stall or a pen. I finally sold him to a friend where he could live on 10 acres with a stout fence and that seemed to work.

I prefer a horse that is more concerned about its own footing etc than with being worried that the guy across the road has some horse killing secret weapon, but it seems to be genetic.

A truism from my old barn: The good ones are either homicidal or suicidal
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

I'm kind of glad to hear that I'm not the only one! It will be 10 years at the end of the summer that I have owned my guy and I can count 5 injuries that have put him out of work anywhere from 1 - 9 months (and that doesn't include rehab months).

It all started with multiple abscesses a few months after I bought him. He was on stall rest for 9 months with monthly visits to the farrier at New Bolton. We have no idea what cause it. After that, there was gash across the front of his fetlock joint on his front leg that required 13 stitches. Again, I have no idea what happened, he was out in the field. He had some scraps on the front of his hind fetlock joints that required him to be wrapped for 3 months. I wasn't there for this one either but I was told he got loose and was running up the gravel drive when he slipped. He had a freak suspensory injury that occurred at a show that put him out for awhile. The biggest and most bizarre one was also the most recent. 4 years ago he broke his shoulder. He fractured the scapula spine backwards. Another trip to New Bolton, his second home. Asked them how many they had seen. Their response: none.

And of course, we have had the random lameness and colic episodes. I have learned a lot with this one, but the insurance company sure didn't like him! Funny thing, we also have a pony who is by far the easiest keeper and never causes any problems.

Yup, my horse is ridiculously special, but I love him and wouldn't give him up for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    A truism from my old barn: The good ones are either homicidal or suicidal

My mare has always been accident-prone, usually in turnout although last month she hurt herself while in the barn. I'm super careful about checking for fence safety and such, and so are the BOs where she lives. But she still manages to ding herself here and there.

The GOOD news is that she's 18 and it has been happening a lot less frequently in the past few years.

So maybe they do grow out of it somewhat.

She is great at her job - we do hunter paces. She is really good at getting us both safely through some pretty sticky situations. I know this and pretty much leave her alone out on the trail and let her figure stuff out.

Which is weird because she manages to ding herself on her own .

'Best' one was when she was 3 or 4 - she ripped her nostril open and the big flag of skin was hanging off her face. The vet did a great job of sewing her back up, I can't tell which nostril it was. But we checked and checked the turnout and have NO idea what the heck she hooked her face on to do that.

I have a mare that has ripped open her face three times. I'd like to get her some glasses....it makes me wonder if she has some type of depth perception problem.

I have 2. Both are currently on stall rest. The one is in full work, but we have been waiting for warmer weather and better footing before letting him out for turnout.
    He has had a string of issues that started in May of last year. We just seem to recover for one and get hit with the next one.
    We are going to try a bit of turnout this afternoon. He had a good workout already today to clear some of his energy.
    Keep your fingers crossed.