The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finding charolais cows for sale?

I am reaching for the power of coth here, we are switching cattle breeds from long horn to another breed. My husband wants charolais because they are the more gentle breed of cattle and we already have two bulls. But my goodness there seem to be none for sale, anywhere!!! I'd prefer to locate some in the south east but at this point since we want a truck load will look farther away. Any ideas? I have googled the Internet till my eyes are crossed. I really don't care for straight angus cause my cow horse is small and those are some large cattle, we had two bulls and I sold them because they were just too big!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I know of a guy near Bracey, Va. that raises them, but I don't think he ever has as many as a truckload for sale in any one year.

Contact E.B. Harris. He can probably point you in the right direction. Tell him Tom King sent you.

http://www.ebharris.com/

I thought Charlais could be bigger than Angus. Have you looked at Polled Herefords. Those are some calm, small cows that produce great beef, and are easy keepers.

There are a ton of sales listed here.

http://www.charolaisusa.com/calendar.html

the best we ever had came from here

http://www.rogersbarhr.com/

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Um, Charolais are way bigger than Angus. In fact, Angus are one of the smaller beef breeds. I wouldn't consider them all that friendly either. We used to have Brangus cows and crossed them to Charolais bulls. We kept a few of the Brangus x Charolais heifers. Those were some of the craziest cows we ever owned. And boy, could they jump! I think we had a couple who could have held their own on the Grand Prix circuit. The craziest, best jumping cow finally messed up her hip trying to jump out of a 7' fence and wound up as hamburger probably.

I second Tom King's suggestion of polled Herefords if you're looking for smaller and gentler.
    ---------------------------

There is a ranch on my way from my farm to work that has Charolais cattle for sale. I will have to see what information the sign has on it tomorrow.

Oddly, when I was driving in this morning, I happened to look over at the herd of cows and saw 2 zebra mixed in with them..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Um, Charolais are way bigger than Angus. In fact, Angus are one of the smaller beef breeds. I wouldn't consider them all that friendly either. We used to have Brangus cows and crossed them to Charolais bulls. We kept a few of the Brangus x Charolais heifers. Those were some of the craziest cows we ever owned. And boy, could they jump! I think we had a couple who could have held their own on the Grand Prix circuit. The craziest, best jumping cow finally messed up her hip trying to jump out of a 7' fence and wound up as hamburger probably.
    I was just going to say the same thing. Where in dickens did you hear that Charolais cattle are small???? Gentle, yes - but small? No way!! They're huge!

When we lived up by Winchester, VA, there were several Charolais owners around, & man are those big beasts. Pretty much the same size as the Devon cattle that several folks up there raised - & they're known as the "elephants of cattle" - lol! Angus are quite a bit smaller, as are the Belted Galloways that quite a few other folks raised up there.

I don't have any links for you, but I saw more Charolais in Winchester, VA, than anywhere else. You may want to concentrate one search there via local cattle organizations. Although the few breeders I knew certainly didn't have anything close to "truck loads" for sale. They basically bred as homesteaders & for local beef sales.

Like Wireweiners said, Charolais are bigger than Angus... and way hotter too. I've had several Charolais over the years, and we breed about 300 heifers for someone... they are hot and fired up. I have yet to meet a calm one (doesn't mean they're not out there). Most (read, "most") Angus cattle are pretty gentle. We have 100 head here on our ranch and there are only about 2 momma cows I"d like to get rid of, but they raise good calves

Herefords are generally pretty nice too, but just like dogs/horses/etc, it depends how they were raised. If they're raised 'close-knit' with their breeders, then they're likely to be gentle no matter what breed they are.

Maybe look at Shorthorns too... they're a bit smaller and pretty docile.

As far as finding them to buy... if you're set on Charolais, just get on the breed website and look up the breeder listing... then find the nearest ranch to you

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Second the shorthorns. I have worked with several Millking Shorthorns, and they are a smaller, very docile breed. If you would ever consider a more dual purpose breed, Ayrshires are an amazing breed. If I was going to have a beef herd in my little fantasy world, though, I would have linebacks, sometimes called darksided Wessex. They are a breed dating back to Colonial times and are very, very cool! There is a breeder in Berryville, VA. We are actually milking one, but they are more on the beef side of dual purpose. Smaller, gentle etc. I don't know how long to get them to slaughter weight though.

http://www.randalllineback.com/
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by kellidahorsegirl View Post
    Like Wireweiners said, Charolais are bigger than Angus... and way hotter too. I've had several Charolais over the years, and we breed about 300 heifers for someone... they are hot and fired up. I have yet to meet a calm one (doesn't mean they're not out there).
    Maybe look at Shorthorns too... they're a bit smaller and pretty docile.

As far as finding them to buy... if you're set on Charolais, just get on the breed website and look up the breeder listing... then find the nearest ranch to you
    Yes - it's quite possible that all of the Charolais I had close-up-&-personal experiences with were mild-mannered because they were part of relatively small homesteader farms. Thus lots of personal hands-on attention, etc., etc.

Wow that is interesting to hear, we have two Charolais bulls now that we have been crossing with our longhorns. Previously we had two angus bulls and they were the biggest meanest things I've ever encountered! We had to flip to see who was gonna ride into the pens to push them out. I sold them after one breeding season and all the offspring were just as crazy so got rid of them also. Our bulls now are extremely gentle, one even likes to be scratched on the head. I guess the Charolais down here are smaller then up north cause our bulls are on the smaller size especially when compared to the angus which easily were pushing 2500lbs! We are not really stuck on a breed, we were just going with Charolais cause we already had two bulls.
    Last edited by dressagedevon; Mar. 13, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Well, it would be across the country but there is a large farm outside of Greeley Colorado where they breed them. The address might be LaPorte instead of Greeley. If you are interested send me a PM and I will try to find in online for you tonight. Don't have time right now.

My best friend's son raises Charolais. He has several contacts for other breeders too. We are located about 40 miles south of Macon, GA. PM me if you are interested in getting his contact info.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Charolais for angus and Simmental later for hererfords were some of the first "exotics" that were imported to cross with what was here already, mostly angus in the northern states, herefords in the western ones, both "english" breeds.

Some of the first charolais were very big, a bit harder to handle than english breeds and the first lines brought in a cattle hemophilia gene.
    When you made steers of the bulls, you would find some that were hard to keep from bleeding and even died.

Then they started importing chianinas from Italy and a better cross with angus.
    A friend had some of the first "chi" bulls and sold 4H calves off them.
    Eventually, the best first cross with Angus was determined to be limousin.

Since charolais was one of the first ones of those imported "exotic" continental breeds, there seem to be the most of them.
    When crossed with angus, many calves are all hues of tannish gray colors.
    There is, or was a charolais breeder for many decades now in Eastern NM, Gray Charolais, that was said to have some very nice ones.
    Since this was mostly hereford country, his customers tended to be more from East of here.

Today you can practically get any AI type gene mixture, that will give you exactly the percentages of breeds you like to use for your area.

English breeds are generally quick to get fat and adding some exotic to the calves produced a better calf, some of those breeds more than others.

Bear in mind too..outside of what others have mentioned..Ive found the Char's dont "sell" as well in the south as in the north..same unfortunantly with Simmental's (one of my most favorite breeds.. )..seems certain "types" of cattle sell better in certain areas then others..

Granted, the cow market is soaring now..and I dont know what your ultimate goal for your cattle is..

Herefords are a pretty good docile breed..IMO, the most docile breed out there (outside of Sim's..but Sim's are HUMUNGOUS!)..

You may visit "Cattle Today" and speak with some folks from your area for contacts for any cattle.

Charolais bulls on Brangus cows are still a popular cross around here. You need a bit of Brahma to handle the heat and humidity plus they seem to have better milk production and mothering ability than straight Angus. The Angus helps to finish faster and adds marbling to the beef while the Charolais adds size and muscling.

When I was in ag school, years ago, we were taught that the best 3 way cross was Brahma x English (usually Angus or Hereford) female crossed to an exotic bull with Charolais, Simmental and Limousin being the most popular. Chianinas didn't last too long as an exotic cross because they were so big and so heavily muscled, they often caused calving problems.

We had some American White Park cows a while back. They were awesome mother cows and produced some awesome calves crossed to Charolais bulls. They were very gentle and easy to work with too. When we bought the cows they were bred to Brahma bulls. We kept the White Park/Brahma cross heifers and they were really the best mama cows I've ever been around. Pretty to look at, great producers and very gentle.

had to laugh as the last pen of long tailed baby doll angus we had thru the pens were nutty as hell...one even tried to BITE the guy ear tagging him....who knew cows could bite ??

the Charolais should be about 1600 pounds and have enough "mama" in them to object loudly when someone comes around their babies....the range raised ones will charge wolves or bears and humans are fair game as well in calving season....

Range bred mama's made up most of the herd that was here when we were married....almost 150 strong...this farm was known for it's bull crop every year and now and then,when we are traveling,some old man in a cafe will remember us and talk (randomly) about "the best white bull he ever bought"(good stuff that)

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

^^Ah, the Super Baldy's..(BrimmerxHereford)..yep, I imagine that would be a darn nice crossed back on a Simmi..or even Char..and I am not a char fan..

you are right in alittle "ear" helps the cattle weather the heat better..why I mentioned Char's not being popular, at least in my area..and the simmi's too..they dont "do" well in the heat..during our summers, my brangus girls are out grazing while the char's up the road sit panting under the mesquites or wallow in the stockpond..

But, if you are catering to a market outside of "general sales"..really doesnt matter what cattle you raise..to an extent of course..laypeople have an obsession with black cattle..they've been programed to beleive that black =better..

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    But, if you are catering to a market outside of "general sales"..really doesnt matter what cattle you raise..to an extent of course..laypeople have an obsession with black cattle..they've been programed to beleive that black =better..
    yes the black hide sells better every time...the Charolais do so much better in the ice and snow...wet cold and ice and the babies would plop out ready to get a drink and play

damndest thing I ever did see

Tamara