The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sam- Having been in your exact same shoes (coming out of law school, moving to DC for a job with horses in tow, and having no clue where to live), I can tell you honestly that you are not going to be able to metro/train to work AND the horses... you will have to drive to one of them (and I mean a ....drive!).

When I first moved here, I lived in Arlington (Clarendon), metro-ed to work, and commuted to my horses in Haymarket. I kept my horses at lesser expensive barns (still like 450 each) and paid my trainer to come to me. I did this for 5 years.

Then I switched... Now I live in Haymarket right down the road from my horses and I commute to work. I like to see them too often, and I found that I was commuting to see them just about every day anyway, so why not move out to them. I just work my commute out so I leave on the early side, working 7-3, so it isn't as bad (usually about an hour).

All the farms listed above are great places - some of the nicest ones in the area! But they are all quite a hike from DC. Really, I can't think of a dressage barn of their quality near DC (even in MD). There are some barns closer to DC, but it sounds like they won't fit what you are looking for (ie no indoor, no dressage instructor, etc).

Something else to consider is you could live in Fairfax area... another nice area in NOVA. Not far from the metro (lots of buses take you there and might be a 15 minute ride, or you can park at the metro without having to get on the highway) AND at least it puts you 1/2 way to the barns you would probably really like.

As a side... as a young professional I absolutely LOVED living in Arlington. Clarendon, Courthouse, and Ballston are all fabulous and right on the metro line! And again, Fairfax would also be a good spot.

Good Luck!

PiedmontSporthorses- Well that makes me feel better that someone else was able to do it!!! And yes, I only want to "metro" to work, I figured anyways I would be driving to the horses, which I am fine with!! I just dont want to drive more then 30-45 mins to see them is all!

Fairfax seems like it could work out as well! So many places I will have to visit!!
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by SamWerner View Post
    Fairfax seems like it could work out as well! So many places I will have to visit!!
    If considering Fairfax, I'd avoid along the 66 corridor where I live. 66 is a nightmare. Reston, where I work, is a nice area that has better access to metro via bus. There is a large town center that seems pretty hopping. The metro is extending a line out there too. Plus, easy access to the toll road for getting to barns out west.

http://www.restontowncenter.com/

Another vote for Patrick and Lani, I've known Lani since she was 15, she blew me away with her riding even then. They're at tdstables.com.

I grew up in Maryland and never had a complaint about the quality of instruction there. Whatever you do, though, live close to a metro stop so you can take the metro into work.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

It has always seemed to me that the commute in from Virginia is much tougher than the one from Maryland (I have lived in Maryland or NW DC the whole time I have been here and boarded in Montgomery County Maryland) but I know lots of people who do it. I am not sure where your friend is getting the MD is only for old people thing I don't find that to be the case at all.
    That being said, what works for you will be totally dependent on where you work- once you know that, you can figure out where you can afford to live and, with that limitation, what works the best convenience-wise to and from work and the barn. If you can figure out a way to commute to the barn and work without having get on one of the highways (including commuting to work by train), I have found it to be much much more reasonable. The highways with a couple of exceptions turn into parking lots for the extended rush hour (and some like 66 seems as if it is slow pretty much 24/7) but if you can take surface streets, you can generally (not always) do better. Be forewarned, the reliability of the metro has declined significantly in the last decade and breakdowns during rush hour border on the norm.
    You will be able to find good dressage places in either NOVA or Maryland so that should not drive your decisions unless there is someone in particular you want to work with.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Figured I'd throw my two cents in too since I'm also a young attorney living in the area with horses. I live in Falls Church, and keep my horse in Great Falls, which works great for me, but is pricey.

One other thing to think about is what your work schedule will look like since attorney hours can be horrible depending on your job. I previously kept my horse in Warrenton, but the combo of my hours and the commute (about 45 mins from Falls Church to Warrenton, without traffic, around 1.5 most nights) meant I didn't ride much. So I moved my horse in to Great Falls but don't have an indoor and pay over $800 a month for board. From Falls Church, I can make it to my barn in around 20 mins, so I can now ride 4-5 times a week even when my hours get cranky.

I've only ever lived in Virginia, but the Arlington (Court House, Clarendon, Rosslyn, Ballston) is amazing for night life and young professionals. An apt walking distance from the metro runs from $1200-$3000+ depending on level of luxury/number of rooms.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a new metro line coming-the silver line, which will go through Tysons Corner and out towards the Dulles Airport. Part of it is suppose to open in 2013, so that opens up a whole new set of options for living and still having access to the metro.

Your best bet is probably to live where you have a short metro commute to work and drive to your horses. Personally, I think you'll have a shorter drive to your horses if you keep them in Southern MD. Look in Upper Marlboro and Brandywine areas.

One place I know of that has a resident trainer, indoor, and good turnout with the possibility of pasture board for one of your horses is Greenock Stables, in Lothian MD. That would be about an hour drive from DC, and its a nice barn.

Another is Allan Sporthorses in Brandywine. They're mainly eventers, but have really good contacts with some top dressage trainers and Sam Allan is very experienced in breaking babies.

Cheshire Horse Hills alredy mentioned. There's also Sharon Myers at Chimney Hill Farm in Upper Marlboro.

Southern MD is by far the fastest commute from DC, Arlington, and Alexandria with affordable board rates.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I live and work in DC and keep my 3 horses in the agricultural reserve in western Montgomery County MD (very close to Wyndham Oaks, a facility noted earlier). I have the option of a subway commute to work. However, if I plan to ride after work, I must drive. It takes a good 1.5 hours to get to the barn from near the Capitol, and just under 1 hour from NW DC, but that's assuming there is no extraordinary traffic tie up. Good luck with your plans. The areas surrounding DC are very horsy; they just take forever to drive to.

Thank you all so much!!! You are all giving me great info
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

No indoor or on-site trainer, but boarding in Vienna, VA which is on the Orange metro line.

http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=81427

I'm thinking co-op is not going to be compatible with her work schedule.

I don't work in DC, but years ago, I opted to commute to work & have a farm. I built a new farm in 2004, closer, but I was already married at that point and have a different career path than what I suspect a young lawyer will have.

I think the hardest part is the social life that you'll want, in addition to riding. So, the closer in options are probably best. Commute times are brutal around here.

Good luck and hope you find a compatible barn within a tolerable commuting distance.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I'm thinking co-op is not going to be compatible with her work schedule.

I don't work in DC, but years ago, I opted to commute to work & have a farm. I built a new farm in 2004, closer, but I was already married at that point and have a different career path than what I suspect a young lawyer will have.

I think the hardest part is the social life that you'll want, in addition to riding. So, the closer in options are probably best. Commute times are brutal around here.

Good luck and hope you find a compatible barn within a tolerable commuting distance.
    Haha yes I have a feeling I will be very very busy. If I end up moving up there I know I will not be making it out to the barn everyday. I will be happy with the weekends and 2 days during the week if I am lucky.

I was sent in the direction of what seems to be a pretty great barn (indoor, turnout, under 550 for fullboard, trainers and clinicians come through) in Upper Marlboro, MD, which is like 18 miles outside of DC.

Do you guys know any places on that side that are within an hours drive to that area? I was told Capital Hill is only about 30 minutes away from Upper Marlboro but it is 1500 a month for a studio, I am hoping to stay under that. I am already going to be spending 1200+ on the horses so I need to be reasonable

Anything that is on the side of DC that is still accessible to the metro so I can take that to work and the only driving I will have to do will be to my barn would be awesome!!
    Samantha Werner