The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Highest calorie dense senior feed

I have access to Purina, TC, and Blue Seal. I have a 20 yr old ulcer prown Arab gelding who is also a chronic worrier and is pacing off his weight. Any suggestions? Horse paces inside and outside with hay and without.

I used to use Blue Seal Sentinel Performance LS, needed to put weight on several older TB's and their nutritionist recommended this over Senior, as it is easily digestible and has high levels of fat. One old horse didn't like it, and wouldn't eat much, it's like dog kibble, so we switched to Purina, Again contacted the company nutritionist and for horses that need to gain weight or are hard keepers, they recommended Ultium, which is a pellet with an appetizing smell and seems to be easier to chew. We definitely see an improvement in the horses on Ultium, they look better than they even did on the Performance, but either is a good choice. Senior feeds sometimes are designed for easy keeper oldsters so don't have as high of levels of fat, calories. Cant help you with the Triple Crown.

I do not know the calorie amounts of the Purina or Blue Seal, but TC Senior is almost 1600kcal/lb and is 10% fat, which gives more bang for the buck calorie wise. It's also really low in NSCs (nonstructural carbohydrates) at 11.7%, which is a good thing, especially with ulcer prone horses.

I personally have had my 18 year old (higher strung, worry prone ASB) on TC Senior for two months now, and she looks fabulous. She's gained back all of her lost weight and then some. Highly recommend.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

oh, we also give each horse a cup of rice bran, twice a day for extra fat calories, without making them 'hot'

Also recommend TC Senior, and for extra fat, Legends Omega Plus - 1800 cals. per pound...rice bran and flax based...my older ulcery gelding has done great on both. The Legends smells like vanilla cookies and he loves it....and great calorie "bang for the buck" at 1800 cals per pound!

I would definitely go with TC senior. It is a wonderful, high quality feed.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I personally have had my 18 year old (higher strung, worry prone ASB) on TC Senior for two months now, and she looks fabulous. She's gained back all of her lost weight and then some. Highly recommend.
    My 11 year old gelding has been on it for 5 months with some seriously good grass hay not a lot. He hasbt looked this good since he came in to fat about 1.5 years ago.

Have to agree-$$ but so worth it.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I do not know the calorie amounts of the Purina or Blue Seal, but TC Senior is almost 1600kcal/lb and is 10% fat, which gives more bang for the buck calorie wise. It's also really low in NSCs (nonstructural carbohydrates) at 11.7%, which is a good thing, especially with ulcer prone horses.

^^^This! My ulcer prone Arab mare is on TC Senior, and withing 1 month of putting her on the recommended 4 lbs per day, she is almost back to her weight before the ulcers got the best of her. She also gets alfalfa cubes, 1 to 2 pounds at each feeding, with the TC Senior, and NeighLox.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Of the 3 you mentioned ...TC Senior

But what I feel is even far superior than that is Progressive Nutrition's Pro Elite HF...;it's a fully extruded feed...which means it's safer and more digestible -especially for ulcer prone and horses that have colicked ....it's also high fat/fiber/low starch and sugar.....14%protein/12%fat/18% fiber

http://www.prognutrition.com/proelitehf.html

It has taken an ottb of mine from looking like an emaciated greyhound to a fat round conformation hunter ! Also was great for my broodmare who suffered from colic and lost a ton of weight from nursing her baby

Can't recommend it enough...you can order directly from them if no dealers are in your area

Also i highly recommend an ulcer/digestive supplement....Smart Gut Pellets, Uckele's GUT, Succeed, Finish Lines U7 Gastric Aid are all excellent...will help gain maintain weight, soothe a hurting/irritated tummy

Also free choice top quality hay...alfalfa if u can get it will do wonders

As much turnout as possible

Get teeth checked/floated and deworm appropriately

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels_Princess View Post
    I have access to Purina, TC, and Blue Seal. I have a 20 yr old ulcer prown Arab gelding who is also a chronic worrier and is pacing off his weight. Any suggestions? Horse paces inside and outside with hay and without.
    What is he all worried about? I own many arabs and mostly hotter ones. Tho there is a sweety pie lamb out there too and one or two that are pretty mellow. They do not act like this....not even the hot ones.

At 20 yrs of age he should have some sense about him now. His biggest worry in life should be is the feed cart arrival on time.

Is he turned out with a steady eddie horse that can bring down his anxiety level ?
    Last edited by D Taylor; Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Thumbs up just my 2 cents!

Oil, oil, oil, fats in any form! And oil soothes their tummys if ulcer prone.
    Nutritional facts to remember:
    Calories per gram:
    Protein=4 cals/gram
    Carbs= 4cals/gram
    Fats = 9 cals/gram

Control the fat = control the calories!
    Read the feed bag label and get the highest fat feed you can find. Higher fiber feeds also slows down the digestion some.

We've been told to avoid corn oil ... but we have an EPSM horse. Canola and Soy oil are what our horses get (all of them). We haven't noticed any sensitivity to soy oil.

I understand that Rice Bran oil is a better choice, but it's much more expensive.

The pelleted fat supplements are good too, but can cost a lot if you have to feed much. Their advantages are easy of use and more palatable for the picky eaters.
    The other female in my husband's life has four legs

Another vote for the TC Senior. With its low NSC values, it might help your hot pacy guy settle down a bit. My OTTB's are quiet as lambs on it.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Triple Crown should pay us to promote their products!

My vote is for TC Senior as well, it a good quality feed and the horses really like it. And at least in my area it is only a couple dollars more then Purina SR and a much better feed IMO.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

The gelding has always been like this. He's vetted regularly, his teeth where just checked 2 weeks ago, and he's on a worming program. He's better in the summer then in the winter months but he's just a chronic passer. To the point that I haven't had his feet trimmed since he was retired and his shoes pulled...well over 4 yrs ago. He paces so much that he wears them down on his own. He's just a wirey ol' man. I picked up TC Senior to try. He's switching over from TC Complete.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerbunny View Post
    Triple Crown should pay us to promote their products!

My vote is for TC Senior as well, it a good quality feed and the horses really like it. And at least in my area it is only a couple dollars more then Purina SR and a much better feed IMO.
    Yes, they should!! I sometimes feel like I'm a rep for TC, White Lightning, Keratex, etc., but they are products that I really believe in.

Also, the last time I bought TC Senior it was a dollar cheaper! When the lady told me "that will be $18.95," I looked at her in confusion because it has been $19.95 for forEVER! She commented that, yes, it is now even cheaper than Purina Senior (and a far superior product, IMHO).